my bbshd fat girl (Rocky mountain blizzard)

electricfun

10 µW
Hey! I'm Julia and this is the bike I built. Its a Rocky Mountain blizzard 10 (2016 ish).Its a women's small size. BBSHD and a UPP battery (52v 28ah). I'm a female around 171 cm tall -about 5'7.5 or so...

Battery doesnt quite fit the frame but somehow I don't end up striking it with my pedal on the other side. I had to do a few unconventional things building this and I had a few hiccups.

SocdStH.jpg

First hiccup was this. The spec sheet for the bike says 100mm standard bsa, however look at these chainstays! I ended up having to put the 100mm BBSHD in another bike I own, I had to buy a 120mm for this bike.
kJ4SDnM.jpg

My second unconventional problem was the pedal on the non drive side not being able to clear the chainstay area...solution? using a bowed crank on that side (non drive). So yeah I'm using different crank on each side but both are same length. Somehow this works out perfect for the battery..oddly I know!!
4ta8z3Q.jpg

Nicely done! Only thing I would do different is put a spacer on the drive side between the bb and the housing. Winters coming and that will be a blast :bigthumb:

Oh sweet, haven't seen that many other women on here building bad ass bikes like this, that makes me happy. :mrgreen:

I had considered a UPP battery for awhile for the price point but kept hearing mixed reviews about their products. Kinda surprised a 28ah battery fits in a triangle that size at all! I have a 23.8ah battery from EM3EV and it is hefty (but the great range I'm getting out of it has been worth it so far; about 100mi per charge when using mostly low PAS, a bit less when off-roading with more throttle but still enough juice to have a lot of fun). Do you know what brand cells UPP used to make your battery pack?

I would agree with Bigwheel that a spacer on the drive side isn't a bad idea. My bike funny enough had ample clearance for a 68/73mm BBSHD & didn't need spacers to clear the chainstay at all, but I found that spacers were necessary to tighten it in place firmly enough to stay put, & then I kept messing around with where I wanted the spacers for ideal positioning. I found that on the drive side the little divot carved into the back of the motor body was great for putting in the thicker spacer since it didn't create as much offset there. I also messed up with my initial install & put a spacer between the teeth of the mounting bracket & the BB shell- took me awhile to realize that I had to reverse that or the BBSHD would just keep sliding down eventually no matter how hard I tightened it.

I'm using Lekkie Buzz Bars with leftside offset in 160mm (they also come in 170mm, my original cranks were 165mm, I'm only 5'2"/160cm tall so I went with the shorter & adjusted my saddle height up about 2-3mm to help compensate & that worked great). They do a pretty bangup job of keeping my pedals a good width apart & my position on the saddle more center.

Those are some pretty incredible wheels & tires you got there lol. I bet you can float over just about any terrain with those huh? How wide are they- like 4"? 4.25"? I'm only running 1.75" currently but I mainly do long-distance paved road touring on my build (but am toying around with trying some other tires for random offroad trips near home because it's so much fun lol)

Awesome build, hope you have a great time on it!

Jaded said:
Oh sweet, haven't seen that many other women on here building bad ass bikes like this, that makes me happy. :mrgreen:

I had considered a UPP battery for awhile for the price point but kept hearing mixed reviews about their products. Kinda surprised a 28ah battery fits in a triangle that size at all! I have a 23.8ah battery from EM3EV and it is hefty (but the great range I'm getting out of it has been worth it so far; about 100mi per charge when using mostly low PAS, a bit less when off-roading with more throttle but still enough juice to have a lot of fun). Do you know what brand cells UPP used to make your battery pack?

Honestly I don't know too much about batteries, these are 1456wh ones I think.That's part of the reason I'm coming back to this forum, I need to become more educated about batteries as I've heard UPP has had some serious safety problems. I don't need a fire in my hallway! Basically I store it indoors at night in my hallway. I want to be a better consumer and know where to buy safe and reasonably priced batteries for this thing.

Basically I bought a mid drive motor on AliExpress and then got this battery separate. I did the install myself. Wasn't easy at all and the hardest part was dealing with the BB removal in the first place. Second hardest part was putting in the BBSHD itself as it was a tight fit and almost made me throw up.

Back