My fast road DH Comp - 2.5kwh 18650's/Mobipus/QS V3

Great bike, thread, & glad you're still in one piece. Socal is rampant with the same driving environment (IMO) which is why I continue to eschew more power and ride mostly on dirt bike trails with my 20 mph "crawler".

http://www.mcas.com.au/motorcycle-clothing-road-textile-jackets/rjays-voyager-4-mens-jacket

This is the jacket
Voyager-IV-Jacket-Blue_00.jpg

As well as some armored gloves, nylon over pants and helmet obviously. Jacket has various bits of armor and a back protector. Highly recommended

So today was my first day back on the bike, finally!

My new front wheel is made up of a Mavic EX729 rim, Hope EVO 2 hub, DT Swiss double butted spokes with brass locking nipples. It has 0.4mm of radial runout and 0.3 of axial. I also replaced the handle bars with a near identical set of Funn Fatboy's but this time in black - the previous gold set didn't really mesh well but came with the original purchase and they were slightly tweaked by the impact.

I have also rebuilt the fork and rear shock. Fork got fully inspected, checked dimensionally, for cracks and for any imperceptible bends and came out 100%. These forks are incredibly strong! In the total of 9 days I was using public transport I spent a total of $86.40 and wasted a grand total of 13.5 hours of time over and above what my commute takes on the bike. I also got drenched a couple of times walking home and had to endure some serious smells from other passengers. Would not recommend.

I have some more suspension tweaking to do, currently the shock is dialled right up and is quite harsh - front fork is pretty close having set air pressures to be somewhat correct for my total weight and riding style. Overall it's more stable and I find myself hitting higher speeds without realising as the front wheel and fork is noticeably smoother than before.

I've been riding pretty much every day since the last post. Just a few tweaks since then.

I re-wired the screen with the correct length of cable for my application and added an additional layer of heat shrink for a bit of added cable protection. I removed the USB connector from the controller display and sealed the vacant hole with some silicon, drawing anything other than a tiny amount of current from this connector seems to cause quite a few issues and I had never required it so in the interest of cleaning things up it came off.

I added a top peak defender front fender to keep the mucky water off my face. Reviews on these are very mixed, lots of people saying it broke immediately.. time will tell.

Bought some new proper motorcycle boots and some new water proof over pants. The boots keep my feet nice and dry but they also offer quite a lot of protection if ever I find myself crashing.

My headlight died, probably the driver board internally - i haven't had a moment to diagnose further. I need to purchase a new/decent one that preferably puts out a somewhat legal light pattern so it won't blind oncoming traffic. Anyone got some suggestions?

I bought new pedals - Shimano Saint MX80's. The bearings on my original pedals were shot to hell and rattled around quite a lot. I also bought an X-type bottom bracket rebuild kit as the BB bearings are also knackered. These were actually buggered when I bought the bike originally, it just wasn't a big priority to sort out.

I changed offices, pretty much exactly the same distance away however. Still riding about 35-40km every day so the mileage is adding up. Haven't had any issues whatsoever with the drivetrain. New office means that I'm only charging at home, doing 35-40km on a charge. Currently charging at 1.8kw to 4.1v/cell and discharging ~900wh and ending up at 3.65v or so. Haven't balanced the battery once since I built it, cell delta is <10mV across the pack as measured with a 100k count DMM. Battery will last a very, very long time at this rate. Couldn't be happier with the LG HE4 cells so far. Internal resistance as reported by the controller is ~50 mOhm

cwah said:
Did you say you were fully insured with your illegal ebike?

The driver who hit me was fully insured. My bike is also insured as is my liability while riding it. As to its legality, that's entirely dependent on its power and speed at the time of any given incident. Even that would be highly debatable. In the case of my earlier accident, I had just come down a substantial hill - no power required. eBike or not would have been travelling at the same speed.

Are you interested in insurance or are you just trolling as you have a personal opinion on arbitrary classification of lightweight vehicles?

I'm interested by insurance as I have a 35mph bike.

However I wasn't able to find any insurer for my bike as it requires purchase proof and third party evaluation for ebike value

In my case the bike is covered by my contents policy. My insurance company (that I happen to work for, though not on the insurance side) does not care as long as the original purchase price of bike is not over some limit, I think it was $3k. In that case the bike would need to be specifically added as a line item on the policy, not under the general pool. I would classify my bike as worth ~$1k with a number of expensive accessories fitted. The head of claims handling did not have any issue with that when we discussed it.

That being said, I don't know what level of scrutiny I might face if I had crashed into a stationary Bentley at 70km/h. As I do work for the company, I'm confident I would come out pretty well. I wouldn't be nearly so confident if i was a general punter...

Your best bet may be to insure as the original bike, this covers the value of the bike + your liability while riding it. You can then attempt to extract additional funds for 'accessories' like motor/controller/batteries. Your country is probably different, the laws and insurance sector vary a LOT by location. Here at least, even if something is illegal, but it did not directly contribute to the incident being claimed for, that's not grounds for rejection of the claim. E.g if you had a bike that's capable of 60km/h under throttle and that contravenes the legal definition of an assisted bicycle, but you crashed while avoiding a child running across the road at 30km/h - you should be covered. You must of course be careful not to LIE while getting insurance, as misrepresentation can retrospectively void a policy and leave you up shit creek.

You mentioned that the power you can put through the motor is limited by the tendency of the bike to do wheelies.. Whats the max power you've seen on a hard acceleration?

And those dropout adapters, do they handle a bit of a beating? like riding up/down stairs, off small drops, fast over speedbumps, etc?

Nice build man, glad to hear you are okay after the crash

As far as i can see there are no lights on the bike, maybe put those on to make sure you are a bit more visible?

I know people in cars have a hard time seeing bikes in the first place and you are quite allot faster then they might anticipate. With a strong light in the front and a good light+brakelight (magura has a switch lever) in the back people will have the idea that they are dealing with a motorcycle from a quick glance which helps them anticipate your ride style.

You US, AUS en kiwi's are really lucky with the police being untrained about ebikes, if i would do that here there is a big chance i'd not be ensured anymore for driving a illegal vehicle...

Wow, it's been almost two years since I updated this! The bike has continued to constantly evolve and continue to fulfill my daily transportation requirements.

This is what it looks like now:
Bike update.jpg

Changes since this thread was last updated include:

• 17" moped rims
    QS 205 v3 'Extra' hub motor, 3.5T wind (approximately 13 KV)
    17 x 2.75" Heidenau K56 Tires front and rear
    Ferro Fluid + Hubsinks
    Mobipus 72200 controller - Configured with an 60amp slow/140a 'normal'/180a 'Turbo' mode - That's battery current not phase! In Turbo mode I have seen 14kw of power on the CA
    All wiring replaced with 6ga silicon and hydraulic crimped connectors
    Cycle Analyst with an external 200a Shunt
    New battery - 20s12p of Samsung 30Q cells - a little over 2.5kwh. Terminated with multiple spot welded layers of 0.3mm and 0.2mm nickel. Pack IR is ~30mOhm
    Pack mounted in a frame made from riveted 40mm aluminium angle, bolted through and clamped to the frame for ideal weight distribution close to centre of mass.
    Front and rear Mudhugger guards
    45w Multi LED DOT approved headlight - low and high beam wired to Domino throttle switches
    Brooks C17 saddle in black
    Moped left level master cylinder, drilled and tapped for a 300psi Hydraulic pressure transducer which is used as the analogue regen input on the Mobipus controller. Feels like having a gigantic super powerful rear brake, very intuitive to use. No physical brakes on rear anymore.

The bike is now wicked fast, very tune-able in every respect with a LOT of settings on the controller. 'Normal' mode is set up to avoid power wheelies but still provide lots of punch for daily riding. Turbo mode is ~600cc sport bike performance up to about 80km/h, but is stressful as it will lift the front frequently. Top speed I have seen is about 114km/h, still accelerating (I just chickened out) however I don't ride at that sort of speed regularly. Generally speed will spike to 75km/h in commuting duties while passing people. Economy is totally acceptable and surprisingly good considering the weight (now 52kg) delivering a long term average 28wh/km. In total I now have over 20,000km on this bike.

Things that still need work:

Wiring tidy up. I have replaced pretty much all the connectors with JST-SM connectors which has improved it a lot, but there are a few untidy looking wires on the top of the bike and the controller connections are very busy with the feeds for the low volt circuits (lights etc), phase connections, main power, charge connector and controller power all connected here.

Controller mounting. The controller is bolted to a large heatsink, this is just attached with velcro (just like the batteries currently). I would like to cut down the heatsink slightly narrower to fit on the battery frame and bolt this down as far forward as is possible.

Re-make headlight mounting bracket. I made this in a hurry from junk I had lying around, as such the headlight is mounted too high and too far forward for ideal looks/functionality. Relatively easy but time consuming to make.

New front fork. The Marzocchi bomber 888 I am running has their two chamber air spring design, over time the seals bypass small amounts of air between chambers, effectively increasing the fork rate over time. You can either *constantly* adjust air pressure or you can just put up with a super stiff fork. I would like to get either a later model Marzocchi with conventional springs and oil damping or a Fox 40 for the ultimate in strength as well as improving comfort considerably

Re-lace wheels. The 17" moped wheels were supplied by QS and although the lace job isn't too bad, the balance on the rear in particular is pretty terrifying as the motor will spin at 120km/h unloaded and just about shake the bike off the stand. I would also like to re-lace the front with skinnier spokes using two cross as the spoke angles aren't brilliant and there's still more runout than I would like despite considerable tweaking.

Fix the motor axle! Just in the last week, the aggressive regen and significant torque accelerating appears to have caused some play between the stator and the Axle. The Axle itself is rock solid in the dropouts, but there's an appreciable amount of movement required to take up 'slack' as you transition between forward and reverse torque. This appears to be getting worse which is concerning. Hopefully this is repairable otherwise I will likely need a new motor or at least stator.

New Circuit breaker. The current breaker is still only a single 63a unit without a DC rating. I've been using this for over 2 years and use it as the 'off' for the bike power, so it's had a serious workout. I'm now regularly pulling 140a+ through this and while it's only ever popped once (when my Adaptto mini-e number 3 let go) I don't really trust it doing 2.5x its rating! I'll be replacing it with a MidNite Solar MNEDC100 100A breaker, that should be able to deliver the full range of the Mobipus while still being safe.

Replace chain tensioner - The current hacked up derailleur is ridiculously long especially with the smaller diameter wheels. I'd like something that will let me shorten up the chain considerably for a cleaner look.

Awesome evolution and great choice of controller. Must be tempting to hoon around with the power available.
Do you regularly use the breaker as the 'off switch', as in everyday?
I feel you pain with the wiring, I struggle with the temptation to keep riding vs put some effort in to tidy up.

Rube said:
Awesome evolution and great choice of controller. Must be tempting to hoon around with the power available.
Do you regularly use the breaker as the 'off switch', as in everyday?
I feel you pain with the wiring, I struggle with the temptation to keep riding vs put some effort in to tidy up.

I hoon at all times, must pass a thousand cars a day. Yup, I use the breaker as main off switch. I have another switch on the bars for controller off, but that leaves the CA and DC DC on. Not really ideal.

great to see those domino multi switches being used :wink:
did you go ferro fluid in the hub? sorry if i missed it..

ridethelightning said:
great to see those domino multi switches being used :wink:
did you go ferro fluid in the hub? sorry if i missed it..

Yup! With the ferro fluid and hubsinks I don't think I've seen more than 45c on my commute. Literally impossible to overheat on the street anymore

awesome! where can you get the sinks from? I gotta get some. sorry if its old news, i just havnt been on the forum much lately..

ridethelightning said:
awesome! where can you get the sinks from? I gotta get some. sorry if its old news, i just havnt been on the forum much lately..

https://hubsink.com/

I have replaced the circuit breaker with the DC rated 100a unit I mentioned in prior post - cool bit of kit and works well. According to the rating I should be able to pull 200a bursts without tripping which appears to be working out in practice so far.

I'm running 'normal' mode with a 160a/350a battery/phase setting on a daily basis, this is great fun and nothing is very stressed believe it or not. Hottest I have had the controller is 38c, battery is ~25c, motor peak is about 65c after 16km of 60wh/km thrashing. Not bad for ~12.5kw :) I am SUPER happy with the pressure transducer driven left lever regen, feels like a hydraulic brake with unlimited power.

I fixed the Axle - I was wrong about the cause, it was just coming loose in the mounting plates. I made up some more suitable pinch bolts and clamped things down hella tight with some big nordlock washers on the axle mains. No more movement.

Haven't had any time to do anything further as I've been away in Spain for several weeks with new role. I'm definitely going to be replacing the front fork sooner rather than later as this is now very uncomfortable.

sorry if already mentioned, but what
(if any )bms are you running?
praps you dont use one?..
im looking for a good (non adaptto) 20s bms good for at least 100A
Cheers

Ohbse said:
Moped left level master cylinder, drilled and tapped for a 300psi Hydraulic pressure transducer which is used as the analogue regen input on the Mobipus controller. Feels like having a gigantic super powerful rear brake, very intuitive to use. No physical brakes on rear anymore.

Really loving the thought gone into this and i'm seriously intrigued to hear more about this brake sensor solution. Would you mind sharing some more details? Is it trick to do?

Thanks

I was watching you the other day completely owning the motor bikes. I did manage to pass you on my road bike though as I skillfully rode on the footpath leaving you to wait at traffic lights :lol:

Hah, cheers man!

Regarding other queries - No BMS, just a high end multimeter check every couple of months. Cell drift after 2+ years and ~500 cycles is about 25mv. I've balanced it once. I did have to perform some surgery a while back and pack is now only 18s - two of my series groups were damaged while parked in the garage at work by somebody reversing into it. So I've lost a little power and capacity, though it's still hardly slow.

The pressure transducer setup is fantastic, one of my favorite things about the bike. It was very easy to assemble, I procured the appropriate tapered tap from ebay along with the pressure transducer from Aliexpress. Lathered the tap with vaseline to collect all the chip load and went to town. Turn of teflon tape and cranked the sensor in there, no leaks and still feels solid after a couple of years.

All of the other things on my to-do list other than the circuit breaker are still pending! Still using the tired 888 bomber fork, still running with velcro mounting for the controller and battery into the housing. Bike has now done over 30,000km It's essentially un-changed from my last update. Haven't changed a tire or even brake pads in about 2 years of 35-50km a day!

Sorry to hear that man! Riding on city streets ain't fun...It's just the necessary evil we have to endure before 50% of the population are on ebikes...hehe jkjk. Glad your ok! I'm waiting for the day when I'll have to make an emergency stop...not looking forward to that but I know its bound to happen in my future...

I always wonder how my insurances will respond to something like this... first health insurance... I'm sure it'd be covered as an accident.. and secondly, my personal articles/homeowners policy for my bike.... I should probably get my bike on my personal articles at this point...

Back