My first non hub with Davinci + astro 3220

Iroise2000

10 mW
Hi,

First excuse my bad english language. I had some years ago two hub ebike, but know i discover a totally new life with my new non hub ebike.
I have made the choice to try Matt Davinci system + astro 3220. I made the choice to try a right drive and not the regularly left drive as many do with the Davinci.
First rides this week-end, and i'm still smiling :D. At work, they say what have yu do this week-end to be so happy !

DH Vitus Dominer I Mtb with 180mm supsensions + reverb stealth seatpost full in tube installed.
Davinci drive
8 turn , fan cooled 3220 (87 rpm/volt)
5ah of 12S-30C lipo for moment and this week i will receive new 16ah 12S Gens ace Tattu (1900 gr each 6s battery, 240 Ah real continus and 480 in burst, but will not try so much....)
Additive big bag for battery, very usefull and clean (not many place in triangle). Much place to place the 2 6s lipo + spare one.
Drive unit frame mount with carbon plates + polymorph
Isis bottom bracket
Second reduction is with an half link chain
Edge 160 controller + 4 more caps
Magura throttle
6 to 1 ratio for 1st drive and 3.7 for second reduction. Last reduction is 36 to 13 for speed or 36 to 34 for big hill.
Cycle analyst V3

Bike is about 22-23 kg without battery and very well balance.

First ride is impressive ! I must know make some adjustment + CA setup for legality on the road...+ some paint.
I will thanks all to the help in this forum and Matt for his drive ! I dont' imagine to have so big trust with an non hub system.
My old 5404 72V was very fast, but can not climb so well and acceleration was very poor in comparaison.

Max Speed is for know about 50kmh, but with impresive torque.

I post some picks. In one yu see the motor 3220 with a chinese 500 watt sticker :mrgreen: DSC03393.jpg

Best regards
Yann

Attachments

• DSC03272.jpg
    DSC03272.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 1,338
  • DSC03391.jpg
    DSC03391.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 1,338
  • DSC03392.jpg
    DSC03392.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 1,338
  • DSC03396.jpg
    DSC03396.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 1,338
:D welcome to the Astro group!!!
There are maybe only 2 or 3 "thru the gears" 3220 builds before this one, around the Sphere, though. So I'll appreciate a lot data, impression, or any info you'll like to share with us..
Your High turn motor sounds to be more gentle than my lower 4t (left separated drive), your lower kv may be the best solution for a reasonably powerful and reliable Thru-the-gears system...

The work around the bike is very well made!!! only do not like the look of the big Bike Bag, although it is useful and practical, I bet giving an incredible potential range of usage.....
My battery CamoBag isn't that elegant too....but as your, it is practical...

Thanks to share this build.

Hi,
Thanks for yur messages and encouragement ! For me it is my first experience with middrive. But what i can say after only 3-4 trips, bike is much better in balance as my old hub motor.
I have no experience with so high power more than 5000W Matt and other have with astro... For moment i go gentle...but gentle is really fast :D
I discuss first with Matt for the type of motor, and take a high turn with about 90 rpm/volts so it is 4300 max rpm with 48V. I see that other astro 4T a turning 2x 3x more rpm.
For moment CA V3 is only with max limit 50A so about 2000w. Today i go in forest for a trip, and i cannot to go wot...i must learn a lot...

It is the first time i have an sensorless esc. I have an min speed of 7-8 km/h. With that, first gas is very smooth. First i tried without min speed, and a go from a stop was rubbish. But nooo problem to have a small pedaling at starting for me.

I will put some more impression when i ride it more.

Today i received my new battery :
View attachment 2

Red is 6S 5100mhA
Green is 5S 8000mhA
Tattu is 6S 16000mhA 15C constant or 240A and 25C short time. Internal resistance must be very low for what i read about them. Will try them next saturday. They are very light and small if compared with my other battery.

For Matt, yu can see some more photo of Davinci mount. Right side carbon plate is fixed with the 3 bolts in ISCG fix system, and the small carbon plate on right side is direct with bottom bracket fix. For moment it is very rigid, no problem.

Panurge : i agrre with yu ! the bag is not really nice for the look ! but for moment very convenient to put the battery in. It is place for the 2 tattu 16000 and 2 more 5000 or 8000. So i can go sure for very long trip. Will see later if i can make something more lovely... Yur DH bike is top and make me inspiration !
Thanks
Yann

I like the simplicity of your setup. I also like the clean look. It really seems to match the look of the bike.

Is the KV of the motor good for your setup? I have sold bottom bracket systems like yours with 6 turn 3220s also and I believe their KV was a bit too high.

Matt

Back