My frame shows 85 volts.

Skedgy Sky

100 W
Two days ago I went riding and it started snowing. My bike was outside, and when I got to it a few hours later... the wheel stuttered. First though: water got into motor and halls died.

Later that day when bike was dried up, it worked.

Skipping to today...
I went riding in the snow and after finishing and letting the snow melt off the frame I went to see if it works. ...wheel stutters again.

Though: Hall sensor must have died? ... but I did even less riding in the snow than I did two days ago... so it must be something else (but related to the halls, phases... or something)

I inspect the (wet) wiring harness going into the motor and find that it shocks me when I touch the frame too.
I measure the voltage across the the shield of the wiring harness and frame to find:
IMG_0747.jpg

I'm puzzled as to why the wheel stutters and wiring harness to frame is 85V (my battery shows 92V). :?:
Willing to bet as soon as it dries up, it'll work again.

Edit: Continuity test:
-battery + to frame is 0 ohms.
-Wet wiring harness to battery - ... no reading, probably because wet wiring harness isn't conductive enough.

don't ride it until you fix it....you most likely have a phase wire that is shorting to the dropout.

Willow said:
don't ride it until you fix it....you most likely have a phase wire that is shorting to the dropout.

6 hours later (now) the bike is dry and I checked if the wheel spins.. it does.

A phase and hall wire near the drop outs were taped up after a crash a couple weeks ago. I'll look into insulating those within the wiring harness better in case it was there that the water made a conductive path from it to the frame.

..........but I don't know where battery (+) could possibly be making contact with the frame.

Edit:
Disconnected phase wires and problem still persists. Feel a tingle from wire harness to metal frame using one hand.
...might be hall wire letting the current pass.

Edit 2:
Found the green hall wire to possibly be responsible for this (90% sure). Cut in the insulation under the area I once repaired.
Now if only i knew why/where the frame is connected to Battery (+)...

Back