my1018z motor project

urialbocher

100 µW
Hi all,

This build started some time ago, working on it on and off, mostly off. I have been riding full suspension mountain bike for roughly 10 years and always wanted to add a small motor kit to make the ride more fun. I wanted minimum changes to the bike and so the goal was preserve all 27 speeds, not to add too much weight, and make the kit easily detachable so I can switch back to regular mountain bike without too much work.

I looked around for motors for quite a while and finally decided to go with the my1018z (TNC scooters) which has relatively low weight and an integrated reduction gear. Since the motor does not have a freewheel sprocket, I got one from Juerg Lanz, a Swiss guy who has since then opened an ebike shop (http://www.boosty.ch/en/bike-kits.html), and who luckily for me designed one specifically for this motor. Next step was to get a freewheeling crank. I got the Echo threaded cranks and bought the threaded freewheel and some nasty metal chainrings from Cyclon.

My first attempt was was just to get the motor mounted on the bike and see how it goes. I collected some scap metal and mounted the thing on the bike. I used a pair of DIN rails which were fastened against the bike's tube using a pair of long bolts. Since these were my spare bike, and I only wanted to get a feel of things, I did not mind drilling through the frame tube. I also wasn't too concerned about strength issues since the hole diameter wasn't bigger than the exisiting water bottle holes.

The results were pretty nasty, but the thing worked pretty well...

DSC01092.JPG

DSC01093.JPG

View attachment 11

The my1018z motor is annoyingly noisey, a result of it's straight cut gears, but other than that I was happy with its performance. It gave me the extra boost without turning the bicycle into a tank, and so I decided to stick with it and create some drawings for milled parts. I designed an aluminum "spider" to hold 4 chainrings - the bike 3 originals, and one for the motor:

DSC01099.JPG

DSC01098.JPG

For the motor mount I decided not to use the frame tube, and instead use the bike bottom bracket as a basis for the mount. This was roughly 2 years ago and since then I discoverd that others have been using this method too (Elation, and especially Malcolm with his elegant design at: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3306&p=55489&hilit=Juerg+Lanz#p55489). I am still not sure it is beats mounting of the frame tube but I went with it anyway.

DSC00683.JPG

DSC00684.JPG

DSC01083.JPG

Basically, the motor slides into place using the 10mm placement pins, and a pull plunger fixes it into position Then the chain is placed, followed by the tensioner. Pretty easy swap between motor/non-motor configulation, which is what I aimed for to start with. I do have to admit though, that the motor is mostly on, it's just much more fun.

This setup worked quite well, but in time I started to see some that the Cyclone freewheel is developing slack, and some greese was dripping out. The the bending moment created by the four chainring setup was taking its toll, and it seemed only a question of time until the thing falls apart. The single bearing just does not seem up to it.

I looked around a little but couldn't find an easy solution. So I considered some options:

1. Get a better rachet type freewheel than Cyclone's. This still does not resolve the single bearing issue but will last longer and is a relatively cheap option.
2. Go for a sprag clutch, something like Elation's. This doesn't resolve the single bearing problem problem without an additional bearing and also requires making some adoptations to match the crank. The sprags are also pretty heavy, something like 300 grams. I was also a bit concered about their quality. The price for the German version was about $120 compared to $30 for the chinese you can get off ebay and I do not belive in free meals...
3. Go for a one way needle bearing. These are basically composed of a one way mechanism in the center of the unit, and two roller bearings on the side. The largest one I could find is the HFL3530 which easly supports the bending moment created by the chainrings. On the down side is that the maximum torque the clutch allows is 121NM which translates to about 70kg applied on the pedals at a horizontal orientation, which, to say the least, is marginal considering the average person.

I finally decided to go with the HFL3530. I decided this considering some additional thingslike the fact I could get it for $30 from a real company (INA). The failing torque has to be higher than the permissible torque of 121MN, and I belive than in the vast majority of the rides I am not even near that value. This is compared the first two options were you are basically loading the bearing incorrectly ALL the time. An additional little advantage to this roller clutch is its weight - 50 grams only!

I was lucky to find a manufacturer that gave me, what I thought, are reasonable prices. The final solution consisted of 3 parts
1. A new crank arm, with an ISIS fit created using electroerosion (EDM).
2. An adopter between the crank arm and the roller clutch (made from a hardened polished round bar).
3. A new "spider" for the chainrings into which the roller clutch was press fit.

Enough with the talking... here are some pictures:

DSC01067.JPG

DSC01070.JPG

DSC01072.JPG

View attachment 2

DSC01085.JPG

DSC01091.JPG

Uri

Nice!

Very nice! What kind of speeds do you get on flat ground? How is the climbing ability?

It's a tough question to answer since it depends on so many parameters (wind direction, tire pressure, battery condition etc.) which I never actually tried to monitor. I have the 250W and the 400W versions of this motor and I think I would say that the 250W would give roughly 28kmh and the 400W 33-35 kmh. Since I left the bikes original gears, it climbs almost any slope I encounter (although you can't cheat the watts - so it can be excruciatingly slow at sharp gradients), and it is especially useful for climbing long staircases which is something I dont have the technical skills to do without the motor.

I got about 1000 kms on this new crank setup. I was a bit concerned at first about dirt getting into the roller clutch and messing it up, but so far so good. The roller bearings appear to do their job and no slack has developed in them. I was also a bit concerend about the clutch mechanism failing so I went easy on it in the begining, but after a while I wanted to be sure it is not too gentle so I pressed as hard as I could on the pedal (~90-100kg). Luckily nothing broke.

Well, 1000 kms is hardly enough to say anything, so I hope things will continue to hold together...

Good to see your original solution to the crank freewheel problem, Uri. Keep us posted on how it holds up. For the majority on this forum, who see the pedals as a back-up for the motor, it would be fine :)

Nice work on the drive mount, too!

I would really be interested in video of the bike climbing with audio that is at least close to the level you actually hear. The noise issue seems to be the biggest challenge in the MID drive applications. I created a box that was fairly quiet, but the motor itself was fairly loud so its a difficult target to hit for sure... I just LOVE the climbing ability of a MID drive unit. It is UNMATCHED by any hub motor, especially if you like trials type riding or goat trails and the like!

Hi Whiplash,

I think, though I am not sure, that the noise is mostly related to the motor gears and less to the type of drive (mid vs hub). I think that many hub motors use nylon gears which are far less noisy. Specifically for the my1018z motor, it has metal gears with straight teeth - the worst possible combimation. Helical gears would probably reduce the noise dramatically, and I think there was even an attempt to make them for this motor.

Wow, some very nice work there on the motor mount and crank freewheel!
I have the eLation V2 later version with sprag clutch and agree it is quite heavy.

Back