Need a LONG kickstand for my e-bike

Ottodog

100 W
Can anyone recommend an extra long adjustable kickstand? I need the type that mounts on the rear of the bike near the axle. The adjustable "Zicom" I bought is about two inches too short because of the angle of my frame and the bike has a severe lean to it. Has anyone found something that works well? If you have a picture that would help a lot. Thanks.

I found an extra tall center stand. The only center stand that fit. You might get better advise by listing the bike model.

http://california-ebike.com/product/extra-tall-double-kick-stand/

Don't tell me... You put à really long suspension fork on a frame that wasn't designed for one. That's ultimately going to cause you bigger problems than a too-short kickstand.

It needs to be a rear mount. It's a KHS based full suspension Mtn. Bike with the right sized shocks on it. :roll: The problem is the frame. There's no place to mount a center stand and the frame leading to the back axle is at an angle so it causes the KS to mount at an angle and lean too much.

I think I may have found a solution already though. It's called the "Upstand". It slips over a tab you put under your rear axle nut. When you're done you can remove it and store it. It's for people who think kickstands aren't cool. I guess. It's doesn't look very strong but it'll do for standing it up in the Garage and at Starbucks for a few minutes. It's about the only thing I can find that doesn't mount to the frame.

I'm still open to helpful suggestions though, if anyone has any. Ideally it would be oversized and could be cut down to size.

The Upstand: http://upstandingbicycle.com
FJ7nCdRp3rE7CdTTltiBPNtFCALniI.png

When I faces the same issue with a ridiculous chopper I built, my solution was to slip an extension tube over the kickstand and secure it in place with set screws.

My bike was ridiculous on purpose.

Edit:
Removed some unnecessary noise.

The short version is that any bike that really needs suspension can't have a kickstand, because it will flip down in rough conditions. Any bike that can tolerate a kickstand doesn't need suspension.

I've just used the cheapo steel kickstands that bolt to the axle for years. But then I ran into a situation where the axle bolt was too short to use one. Locate this type stand near enough the axle, and it will fit any 26" bike. Steel anyway, so possible to change the length easy enough if your bike is a 29 er.

So get a good laugh at the welding, I just tacked one to a short strap of steel, and hose clamped it on. I think you could do about the same thing.

BTW, it don't swing down on me, even when I do small jumps, ride off a curb, etc. I can see how some kick stands could. Because of the angle of the stay, it does stick out a lot when up.

Why a kick? Because I stop to unleash, or catch and leash the dog, and it's convenient to have a stand then. Old, fat, hate to bend over that far now. At home I could put the bike in a stand that stays in the garage. Used to do that, before I got sick, and fatter.

Kick stand adaptation.jpg

I’ve gotta couple bikes which are practically impossible to install a decent side stand (kickstand).

I ran across this a while back and it’s served me well. Gotta remember to bring it but it’s stable, adjustable and fairly easy to use.

TOPEAK Flash Stand

Interesting solution. Easy to make one more compact to carry in the tool bag. My concept is simple right now, and based on a universal principle: It can't fall any lower if it is lying on the ground already. :mrgreen:

MR - Normally I would just lay it down or lean up against something solid but when I'm using a trailer I kinda "need" a stand and this has solved that conundrum. Fairly adjustable for a wide range of heights and different size/shape crank arms.

EDIT to add - It's actually smaller than it looks in the picture. Legs fold of course. It fits in a back pocket of my jeans/shorts.

Ykick said:
MR - Normally I would just lay it down or lean up against something solid but when I'm using a trailer I kinda "need" a stand and this has solved that conundrum. Fairly adjustable for a wide range of heights and different size/shape crank arms.

EDIT to add - It's actually smaller than it looks in the picture. Legs fold of course. It fits in a back pocket of my jeans/shorts.

thats actually a simple but cleaver idea.

http://urbanvelo.org/wellgo-c193-kickstand-pedal/
http://en.wellgopedal.com/year_detail_226.htm

It's a kickstand pedal. Personally don't have one so I'm not sure how durable it is. It's a few years old too, so it may be hard to find.

Ykick said:

file.php
Wow. That may just work! It's great that it folds up. I could put it in my battery bag. I already ordered the "Upstand" but I'm worried about it's strength. I've opened my mind to a removable kickstand. It just doesn't look like anything is going to fit my bike without doing some major mods.

How about finding a tube that is just over the width of the existing kickstand, splitting the end of it, and hose-clamping it or gorilla-glueing it over the end of that kickstand?

Then adjust or cut the tube to the length that gives you the right height, and add whatever pad to the end of it that gives your bike good support on the surfaces you'll park it on.

Sometimes you can use the end tube of an existing adjustable kickstand this way.

A less pretty approach is to clamp a tube or solid rod parallel to the existing stand (but it can give you more adjustability and be stronger, depending on materials and setup).

amberwolf said:
How about finding a tube that is just over the width of the existing kickstand, splitting the end of it, and hose-clamping it or gorilla-glueing it over the end of that kickstand?

Then adjust or cut the tube to the length that gives you the right height, and add whatever pad to the end of it that gives your bike good support on the surfaces you'll park it on.

Sometimes you can use the end tube of an existing adjustable kickstand this way.

A less pretty approach is to clamp a tube or solid rod parallel to the existing stand (but it can give you more adjustability and be stronger, depending on materials and setup).

I thought about that, believe me. It would probably not only need an extension, but I'd need to angle it so the foot would sit squarely on the ground, unlike it does now. While that may work, it would look pretty atrocious. :D I think I'm open to not having an attached Kickstand now that I've seen what's available and I'm gonna give that a go. I'm gonna order that Topeak contraption Ykick posted too and see which one works better. I'll post back what I find. The Upstand guy is pretty cool. I kind of like the idea of supporting his new business. He's one of those Crowd Funding success stories. Had a good idea and started his own company. I like that. 8)

Old school trick is to rest the pedal on the curb, but that pedal kickstand is very cool!

dogman dan said:
Old school trick is to rest the pedal on the curb, but that pedal kickstand is very cool!
Hah. That caught a laugh. The damn things were a nuisance for any kid really out riding about. The Schwinn brazen in mounts were the only ones I never destroyed. Bent the crap out of the peg but it was intact. I probably had half the scratched from kickstand failure and half from finally just laying it down or leaning it on something. Time taught me it was the bling that always got broke. Now I look to items that can fall and survive, or try to build in such a way that a drop isn't a catastrophe repair bill. I want my bike to fall over and get a simple scratch. Thinking more about it, the two legged center stand that doesn't work for the OP, is the nicest stand I've ever had.

UPDATE: Okay the first contender has arrived. The "Upstand". I had to drill out the hole in the tab to fit my oversized Axle, but after that it was a piece of cake. Just bolt the tab under the rear axle nut and you're done. The Kickstand part slips over the end and clicks into place with a magnet. It's quite nice. When you're not using it, it breaks down into two pieces connected together by a shock cord, similar to a tent pole. You can store it with the velcro strap that it comes with or in my case I just stuck it in my seat pack. So far seems like a really elegant, albeit light duty solution.

uaocGXFd3Npw0CaI6sCGc6PMzo9Qsi.png

DfHrYK6wGCjjyagErQpqH9oIN4SbZg.png

kyE6YexUFXmZ5RY1ztYxiqpIQah5Bl.png

Looks like a great workaround for your situation. Even if you found an articulated kickstand that was long enough, it wouldn't rest at the right angle. The stand you found is configurable for your frame.

Sorry...but your garage is just waaay too neat (sarcasm) :wink:

Chalo said:
Looks like a great workaround for your situation. Even if you found an articulated kickstand that was long enough, it wouldn't rest at the right angle. The stand you found is configurable for your frame.

It's not exactly heavy duty, but it does the job for my purposes. I really like the small form factor and light weight and I've been happy enough with it that I sent the "Flash Stand" back to Amazon without opening it so they can re-sell it as new. This is one more little problem I can cross off my list.

It's damn cool. Much better than my solution. My solution has a tendency to start at my bike junkyard, which naturally is full of bike shaped objects rather than real bike parts.

And, no way my garage looks like that. :roll:

Eclectic said:
Sorry...but your garage is just waaay too neat (sarcasm) :wink:

I remodeled it a few years ago and put in a bunch of Cabinets from Home Depot plus a huge loft up above that has a TON of storage. Most of my junk went up there or in the Cabinets. We also had a 10 x 14 Storage Shed in the Side Yard. :wink:

rKJEvXpJLJot1c6pqz2JKBMEp5YvO0.png

Why not just put a wheel chock in the garage and rest the rear tire on stuff when you need to park the bike other places?
Also, let's see the loft. I am thinking about putting one in mine and using all the extra wasted vertical space.

Back