• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Need advise for Vespa Electric Conversion (Asia)

amdhartono

10 µW
Hi guys, a total newbie at electric bike conversion. Hope you guys can really help :)

My friend has a bunch of old Vespas (70-80s) and we're playing with the idea of converting most of them and selling them in the future.

We live in Indonesia so here are some of the specs we are gunning for

Top speed: 60km/h
Range: 60-80km
Incline of slopes: 15-20 degrees
Budget: $600-1000

We would like to know what are the recommendations for the controller and motor? Since we are in Indonesia, something that we can easily buy in China? And also maybe some suppliers that can give bulk discount if we buy more. Controllers with regen would be good as Indonesia has alot of braking (terrible traffic jam we have here)

Taking into consideration the weight of an old vespa, if i were to use lithium battery, what kind of specs do i need to power it effectively with those specs in mind? I was actually thinking of creating some DIY battery packs with 18650 batteries. Also any recommendations for BMS?

Thanks alot for the help!

Attachments

• vespa.jpg
    vespa.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 3,202
amberwolf said:
Have you looked at the other vespa threads?

Other vespa threads in this forum? Ya i have.

Looking at specifically at parts that i can buy from China or in Asia easily.

You should be in luck with motors as China seems full of small-diameter hubmotors for scooters.

Your main cost will be the battery!

Punx0r said:
You should be in luck with motors as China seems full of small-diameter hubmotors for scooters.

Your main cost will be the battery!

Hey thanks for the reply. Any particular hub motor brands i should be looking at? I saw brands like bafang/qs motor/xofo being used by some of the members here

For controllers, i saw brands like kelly

The Kelly controllers and 10" hub motors make a good combination for converting a P-series Vespa like you pictured, and the rear disk brake with the Kelly will work better than any Vespa rear brake. The two big challenges in converting a Vespa are in battery placement and creating your own swingarm for mounting the motor/wheel.

The Vespa is not a great candidate for conversion, but if you already have a stack of them to work with...

It might be worthwhile for you to research the Saigon Scooter Center electric conversions, the Vespaev.com conversions in Japan, or Jim at Headway Headquarters' PX150 conversion - Jim's has an awesome swingarm design.

http://elmoto.net/tell-us-about-your-project/2035-1985-vespa-px-150-conversion.html?s=80d017893297eaf8983b25963676351e

Have fun!

Hi there,

This is a shaky short video of my project in progress. Lights and trimmings are all on now. I'll put another vid up when I get a chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj7SP82Guz4

If this is your first journey into doing a conversion I'd suggest don't do it with a Vespa. Making the swingarm is a pain in the arse. And costs $$. Batteries are expensive as well as you probably know.

Pickup a cheap motorbike and convert it first. Just check the motorbike you choose has a frame separate from the engine so when you remove the engine you'll be able to easily make a cradle for the batteries. I'm doing another one with a Bajaj Pulsar at the moment. Should've done it first but like you, I had a couple of Vespas hanging around not doing much!

Tom

Scoot440 said:
The Kelly controllers and 10" hub motors make a good combination for converting a P-series Vespa like you pictured, and the rear disk brake with the Kelly will work better than any Vespa rear brake. The two big challenges in converting a Vespa are in battery placement and creating your own swingarm for mounting the motor/wheel.

The Vespa is not a great candidate for conversion, but if you already have a stack of them to work with...

It might be worthwhile for you to research the Saigon Scooter Center electric conversions, the Vespaev.com conversions in Japan, or Jim at Headway Headquarters' PX150 conversion - Jim's has an awesome swingarm design.

http://elmoto.net/tell-us-about-your-project/2035-1985-vespa-px-150-conversion.html?s=80d017893297eaf8983b25963676351e

Have fun!

Hey thanks for the comments, yes the swingarm might be the biggest issue here..

TeePee said:
Hi there,

This is a shaky short video of my project in progress. Lights and trimmings are all on now. I'll put another vid up when I get a chance.

If this is your first journey into doing a conversion I'd suggest don't do it with a Vespa. Making the swingarm is a pain in the arse. And costs $$. Batteries are expensive as well as you probably know.

Pickup a cheap motorbike and convert it first. Just check the motorbike you choose has a frame separate from the engine so when you remove the engine you'll be able to easily make a cradle for the batteries. I'm doing another one with a Bajaj Pulsar at the moment. Should've done it first but like you, I had a couple of Vespas hanging around not doing much!

Tom

Hey Tom, i see that you're from Indonesia too?? Which city?

Just wondering, with the kelly motor, did you have to buy a new tyre, or just fit into any existing tyres we can find here in Indonesia?

The exisiting 3.50-10" tire and tube from a Vespa will fit directly on the the Kelly 10" hub motor. ( I meant "tyre". :p )

amdhartono said:
TeePee said:
Hi there,

Tom

Hey Tom, i see that you're from Indonesia too?? Which city?

Just wondering, with the kelly motor, did you have to buy a new tyre, or just fit into any existing tyres we can find here in Indonesia?

Live in Mentawai but the the Vespa project is in Padang. Go to Padang about once a month. That's why the project has taken so long. No roads in Mentawai :D The Kelly hub is designed for tubeless tyre. Found one in Padang but had to search hard. I think easy to find supplier in Jakarta for tubeless 10" tyre. Good luck!

Back