Need expertise on wiring Turnigy packs?

TurnigyCells075.jpg

I would like to 'coat' the terminals and bus bars, will this product work, or is it flammable when heated :?:

http://bluemagicusa.com/index.php/blue_magic/products/177/brush_on_electrical_tape/

http://bluemagicusa.com/bm_files/msds/Brush-on%20Electrical%20Tape%20MSDS.pdf

Does anyone see a problem using these screw down lug connectors? Besides them backing off, which I can guarantee that will not happen. I am looking for input on the voltage / current issue, I was told these lugs will work?

Much better. :D

I think those screw-down lugs will work just fine. Similar design to the lugs on my welder's ground clamp and electrode holder. Just keep as much contact between the bus bar and the lug as possible. I notice the bottom lug is twisted. Try twisting that around a bit so the full base is in contact with the bar.

Nice work...I chose to follow Luke's advice and go with bullets soldered too the bus bars Worked out a treat IMO no worries about anything unscrewing and shorting anything...

bus_bar_series_pic_3.jpg

Hope yours works out for you, definitely better than your first method... The brush on tape looks interesting
won't be using it myself but did add it to the shopping list for my trip to the Altronics (electronics store) tomorrow ;)

KiM

Thanks guys!

I like Luke's advice, but did not have enough room underneath to go with the bullet style. I did take his advice and go with the bus bar. :lol:

Can or should I add solder underneath the screw contacting the wires?

AussieJester said:
Nice work...I chose to follow Luke's advice and go with bullets soldered too the bus bars Worked out a treat IMO no worries about anything unscrewing and shorting anything...

bus_bar_series_pic_3.jpg

Hope yours works out for you, definitely better than your first method... The brush on tape looks interesting
won't be using it myself but did add it to the shopping list for my trip to the Altronics (electronics store) tomorrow ;)

KiM

I am using thick heavy duty plastic ties to keep the wires close the the bus bar, will they melt? How hot will the bus bar get? :shock:

TurnigyCells098.jpg

Are you able to turn the bus bars around? It looks like most of your wires are doing a 180 into the lug connector, I assume that is because of the nut that is in the way? I think it would a lot better if your not bending your wires and tying it down tight at that angle. Maybe I'm worried about nothing, but it seems a failure risk and a potential hot spot. Plus the wires wouldn't need to be as long.

I suspect that the bus bars wouldn't get hot enough to melt the straps. But thats just a hunch, no math to back it up.

The wires are connected by that design because one wire on some packs (remember I split 10S packs) is too short onto the connector, so I use the male connector with wire to get additional wire length. The only way to connect is by 'wrap around' style, if I tried to remove connector it would not reach the lug. The wires are still much shorter than the 10S design that ran wires up the side of one pack.

I am hoping the bus bars will not burn the wires or plastic ties. :roll:

I will say building this pack is challenging and off the chart WILD! :shock:

wiredsim said:
Are you able to turn the bus bars around? It looks like most of your wires are doing a 180 into the lug connector, I assume that is because of the nut that is in the way? I think it would a lot better if your not bending your wires and tying it down tight at that angle. Maybe I'm worried about nothing, but it seems a failure risk and a potential hot spot. Plus the wires wouldn't need to be as long.

I suspect that the bus bars wouldn't get hot enough to melt the straps. But thats just a hunch, no math to back it up.

Also, the wires are 'soft' and bend easy, no cracking. :lol:

wiredsim said:

Back