Need fat tire for speed road

roger74135

1 µW
Ive built a scary fast fat tire 26x4 1000wt r hub, 1000wt 48v 20ah rack battery, rack tinsel steel custom welded, i have around 6,000milez, i put choa yang sandstorms on, i can "cruise" 40mph, torque is off the chain! But thats not all thats off, the rear "traction" tire has STRETCHED to the point i can remove it with my hands, the sidewall is paper thin and i only have about 400miles on them, needless to say i am now going through liners 3 in a week! Ive written choa yang, ill never hear back, doez anyone have an idea for me? Thanks

Try motorcycle tires? Note the size is measured differently, though.

You need a moped/motorcycle rim to fit moped/motorcycle tires, and they wont be able to handle rim brakes, you can only use disk brakes.
Relace your hub is easy if you take it slow.
How much do you weigh and how much total weight are you carrying?

How is 1000w doing 40mph?
Surely there are tires available that don't require an entire wheel build.
Seems a bit extreme to suggest moped wheels, when a quality tire is the most obvious, and reasonable solution

Yeah, there's no way a slow heavy pig of a fat tire bike makes 40 mph on 1000W. Unless maybe you throw it off a high bridge or something.

Fat knobby tires cost speed and efficiency. Most people wouldn't ride them without electric power. And as I say all the time, a bike that sucks with pedal power only, still sucks even if you add electric assist.

Your current tires have not stretched. The bead contains a steel wire that is the same length it always has been. The difference is that your tire got more flexible and is more willing to shift over to the deep middle part of the rim where it's easier to lift off.

If you ride on pavement, fat tires offer only disadvantages. But a street oriented one like Vee Speedster 26 x 3.5" or EBC Rhino 26 x 3.0" will be a lot better on the street than any knobby.

Last edited:
Yeah, there's no way a slow heavy pig of a fat tire bike makes 40 mph on 1000W. Unless maybe you throw it off a high bridge or something.
A technical and less destructive method would be to adjust the speedometer...🙄, increases mileage too.

On 2.8" tires, I'm right around 2500W on flat ground with no wind. I can knock off 400W-500W if I hunch way down.

My fat tire bike does 32mph on a 750 watt geared rear hub. I run 30A through it, though, which at full charge would be 30 x 52V = 1,560 watts. Maybe he just means he bought a 1kw hub, but runs more power through it. 🤷

The fat tire ebikes I’ve seen seem to go through tires way more quickly than bikes with standard 26x2” tires. The knobs wear off quickly and the tire carcass itself is rather thin and puncture prone compared to a quality Schwalbe marathon tire or similar. That, added to the watt sucking performance of fat tires and additional cost of replacing fat tires once worn, make fat tires bikes uninteresting to me.

I see people riding them around my city and everywhere else I go. Absolutely prolific. I think that fat tires are appealing to bicycle newcomers because the big tire may feel comparatively stable and folks may feel like they have better chances if they hit a curb. Not to mention that fat tired bikes are a fad reinforced by marketing dollars of sellers who $800 ebikes by the container load.

Some of this seems like part of the learning curve to me, as more and more people who wouldn’t ride a bicycle every day are interested in picking up an ebike to get across town. Some of it may be mitigated if folks had access to bikes with good suspension.

Just kicking the ball around on this subject.

The only time I would consider running a fat tire is if my bike could truly go over 40mph. My eTownie will go 44 but it takes 3500W to do so. I'm currently running a 28" wheel with a motorcycle tire at low air pressure to help with the bumps. Seeing as how I never go that fast any more, I am going to switch back to normal bike wheel and tires. The Cane Creek suspension seat with a Brooks saddle does an ok job with the potholes.

Back