Need help chosing the bike and components.

I guarantee that second bike you posted has very little pedal clearance. That is a genesis with farfle swingarm and smaller than stock wheels and an extremely wide BB. How much do you intend to pedal your bike?

Yes, I can see. that bike is an inspiration for motor placement. Clearance on that bike could be easily adjusted by increasing the length of the leaver that goes up from the swingarm. As I would probably use Kona Stinky as a donor bike, that can be simplest and most effective solution. What do you think. First picture is for me more aesthetically pleasing, but bit more complicated design.
To answer your question about pedaling... not sure, but as less as I can. I probably need pedals just as a backup and to be legal in the woods of Germany. :lol:

fibra said:
That was exactly what I am mostly attracted to but with smaller back wheel with moped rims and thicker spokes.
Here is the nice example of the idea that compensates the loss of the pedal clearance and incorporates the motor. Off course, having the motor closer to the pivot.
887de18b9fc65ba8834cc031f371ecbc.jpg

Except for the pedal and motor chains that's a complete ebike including a 74V pack mounted to the frame between the swingarm. The 9kg MiniMonster mounted there is less 4kg worth of unsprung weight at the wheel, so less than a tire. I couldn't weld tubing worth a darn with my cheapie machine, so I just used 1.4" flat stock to extend the swingarm near the pivot. The battery was enough for errands, and a backpack range extender made it a nice light trail bike. For anything serious it just needed better wheels, suspension components and a bit of work on the rear shock mounts. With cooling mods and high voltage that little motor can handle 15-20kw of juice and is highly efficient (93% peak efficiency). It's essentially a 50x150mm RC outrunner without the noise and crap build quality, with maybe 1kg or so of extra weight due to enough back iron to stop flux leakage. After giving it to him, my buddy proceeded to ruin the bike with his changes, though I did save the motor from him, but for a while it had a nice look with 21.5"OD fatty wheels front and back. That was one of my easiest ebike builds the I started with a heavy steel dual suspension bike I got for $50.

Back