Need help finding a DC Brushed motor controller

katou

10 kW
I have a 90v DC motor, 10a max and from some testing the controller is shot. Low voltage supply works fine, high voltage supply is toast.

So, it looks like I'm in the market for a new controller.

I have a box from the old one, so a bare board would work.

Can anyone recommend a good place and brand name to search? Cheap is good.

Katou

I can't think of a brushed controller (cheap, anyway) that will go that high a voltage, at the moment. There are a few EV-sized controllers, but they're not cheap and they're also pretty large, being intended for much higher currents.

Do you think the controller you already have is repairable?

If you do a bit of modifying it, you could use the 2QD from http://4QD.co.uk
I used one on CrazyBike2 to run the powerchair motor on it, at up to 48V, and managed up to 135A IIRC before I blew the FETs (chain derail and lockup too fast for the overcurrent protection). (also, I built mine from just a bare PCB using salvaged parts).

I originally intended to figure out exactly what to change out on it to make it 100V capable to run a treadmill motor on there at it's full speed/power, but I never got that far before having to try hubmotors (due to frame flex from torque). Theoretically should not be difficult, because of the design, but I'm not that good at figuring such stuff out except by guess and by gosh. :lol:

It comes in several flavors, nto sure which ones they have avaialble right now.
http://www.4qd.co.uk/prod/2qd.html

They also have a couple of others that might be suitable:
http://www.4qd.co.uk/faq/bmnc2.html#cycles

The 4QD can go to at least 68V that I know of.
http://www.4qd.co.uk/prod/index.html

I have a 90v DC motor, 10a max and from some testing the controller is shot.

Where'd the shot controller come from?

I ended up using one of these 90/180v SCR controllers to run a treadmill motor and it's been working well so far. It's speed-based instead of throttle-based and it requires AC input (definite drawbacks) but I searched for a solid month trying to find a 90v brush controller and that was the best/cheapest I could find.

..I'm definitely interested in finding something better but I don't hold out much hope. later

Right, of course you would think it's dc motor being supplied from a battery pack. I can't believe I forgot that.

This motor is for my scrollsaw. I want to use it to cut some fancy pieces of aluminum for a decoration on bikes.

I need a control board that takes AC from the wall and runs a DC motor. That Surplus Center Minarik board doesn't look bad, but I have to admit, I was sort of hoping to find one cheaper than that.

Sorry for the confusion. Motor does not drive bike, motor drives scrollsaw needed to make parts for bike.

Katou

I would suggest looking at treadmill controllers. If you want to try hacking it, I can see if I still have the controller board for the first treadmill I picked up; I know that it worked but I can't remember if it used an analog voltage as "throttle" or a PWM. Either way, you could easily slap somethign together for speed control. :) It runs right off the wall AC (110-120VAC) and the motor just hooks right up to it's output. I think it uses an SCR or Triac as the output, basically just a giant dimmer of sorts. :lol:

If I find it it's yours for cost of postage. Since i"m doing bunches of cleanup of stuff to try to stave off the city, it's likely I'll run into it next few days.

No thanks, I'm looking for a plug-and-play option. Although, I really do appreciate your offer, Thanks.

Katou

The Minarik is a good unit and you probably wouldn't need the heatsink. Definitely worth it for a new controller from a reliable supplier.

That said, you might look for an MC-60 on ebay...might find one for about $50.

Thanks for the info, I'm pretty much set on the Minarik. Now I just need to find $70. Wait a minute, I think my paypal acc't has a balance....

!!

Katou

Back