Need help on a Nine Continent Hub Motor problem

eehlert

10 µW
Let me start by saying I'm not technical. I just love e-bikes. So I have this new Nine Continent brushless hub motor kit from ebikes.ca and crashed it today. And now, the motor 'stutters', or in some cases has a dead spot and has no torque. I've checked the connectors between the controller and the hub motor, and the yellow hall effect sensor wire looks like a few threads are broken as it enters into the back of the connector, coming from the hub motor. There is no other visible damage to the connectors, cables, controllers etc. Could a broken hall sensor wire be the cause of the problem, or possibly could it be that I fried a hall effect sensor as described by this guy:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Electric-Bike-Hub-Motor---How-to-Replace-a-Hall-ef/

I would try testing it using my multimeter based on other youtube videos I've seen, but I'm concerned I might get a false reading from the partly broken wire. Frankly because I'm more interested in getting back on the road than saving money (I use my bike to get to work during the summer), if anyone lives in the Denver area and thinks they can help me repair it, I'd be willing to pay a good price - let's say $100.

If the wire is suspect to damage, you can try the following:
First try to check the yellow sensor with multimeter, VERY slowly turning the wheel and reading the values on yellow wire against black with the hall connector plugged into your controller turned on. You should feel that while turning the wheel very slowly and , every stator pole will feel as a "notch" that requires some extra power to overcome. Upon each notch, the value should change from 0 to 5V and back.
Once you get familiar with this, stop the wheel in 5V position. Then try to play with the yellow wire and see if the voltage still remains at 5V or drops a bit now and then. That could prove that your cable is wrong.
If your cable seems OK, then locate the side cover that holds the freewheel, remove the 9 bolts with a 3mm allen key and use some sharp/flat object to bleak the side cover loose off the part that holds the spokes. Slowly work the side cover with freewheel away and off tha axle, do not force/tilt it too much, you may damage the bearing.
Now you can see the wiring to 3 hall sensors inside. Check if the sensors are seated properly and not coming loose, and repeat the DVM measurements, tampering with inner hall wiring to discover any damage.

Back