• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Need Help Tying Lyen Regen Jumper into Brake Cutouts

VeloV

10 mW
How can I use brake cutouts to enable Regen on an infineon(Lyen) 6-FET, rather than use the "Throttle Roll-off" Regen?
Is one of the Regen enable leads just waiting to be grounded to enable? more complicated?

Thanks
Ross

The two white regen enable leads with the single pin white connectors, need to be connected together to make regen work. One of them is a ground connection, the other is the enable pin on the board.

In the software, you select the other option to the one you mention, and you also need to set the regen voltage too.
If you are running at 20 series LiPo voltages. 72 to 84 volt, then regen braking will not work with a Lyen controller unless you or he have done the regen resistor mod. Lyen does not do this as standard, you have to ask specially for it.

So with mod done, or lower battery voltages. regen jumper connected, and software set, the brake levers will give re gen as soon as they are pulled

I've got a Lyen 12Fet sensorless. At first (default settings) it would regen when I released the throttle. I didn't like that so I disconnected the regen jumper and all was well. Now I've wired a button to the ebrake pins and expected it to go into regen when I press it. I also reconnected the regen enable jumper. But try as I might I can't get it to work. What on earth am I doing wrong?

Settings at present:
New Bitmap Image.jpg

mylittlepony said:
I've got a Lyen 12Fet sensorless. At first (default settings) it would regen when I released the throttle. I didn't like that so I disconnected the regen jumper and all was well. Now I've wired a button to the ebrake pins and expected it to go into regen when I press it. I also reconnected the regen enable jumper. But try as I might I can't get it to work. What on earth am I doing wrong?

Settings at present:

I think the regen type needs to be changed in the program settings. Until then the controller is expecting throttle regen.

John in CR said:
I think the regen type needs to be changed in the program settings. Until then the controller is expecting throttle regen.

John, I can't see that? I've set SlipChargeMode = 1:Only Fake Indicate (no throttle regen). I'm sure I'm missing something obvious :mrgreen:

good info - I just got my new controller from Lyen and the roll off regen (nice way to explain it) was unexpected to me at first.
I just expected the regen to work when brakes are applied. With mostly flat driving with some stop lights does the roll off regen
pay off ? I have a CA now so I will figure this out eventually it's just rained here the last few days pretty bad and I haven't gotten out.

mylittlepony said:
John in CR said:

John, I can't see that? I've set SlipChargeMode = 1:Only Fake Indicate (no throttle regen). I'm sure I'm missing something obvious :mrgreen:

Ok, I must have misread then. I was taking it as you hadn't changed the program settings. Are you sure the load was successful? If so, then the little white plug Neil mentioned stays static, so regen is enabled, and then engaging regen is done through the ebrake wires that typically go to a brake handle with a switch wired in.

John in CR said:
Ok, I must have misread then. I was taking it as you hadn't changed the program settings. Are you sure the load was successful? If so, then the little white plug Neil mentioned stays static, so regen is enabled, and then engaging regen is done through the ebrake wires that typically go to a brake handle with a switch wired in.
Ah that's what I was looking for i.e. as I expected, regen is engaged with the ebrake. It seems to me there are 2 possibilites why this isn't working:

1) Programming settings is failing (as John suggested)
2) The regen link is not making contact

I'll try to rule both out tomorrow morning.

Yay! Got it sussed. Turns out it was a bad connection on the regen jumper. Now it freewheels when I release the throttle and regenerates when I push the button. It brakes nicely and makes about 10A. Thanks for the help.

mylittlepony said:
Yay! Got it sussed. Turns out it was a bad connection on the regen jumper. Now it freewheels when I release the throttle and regenerates when I push the button. It brakes nicely and makes about 10A. Thanks for the help.

Bravo! Taking control over your own personal transportation like that sure is rewarding isn't it?

John in CR said:
Bravo! Taking control over your own personal transportation like that sure is rewarding isn't it?

Yes its absolutely brilliant John. I can't stop grinning about my ebike.

Just another quick Q - So now I'm finding that when I hit regen at say 30mph the braking isn't constant but rather cuts in and out. Its like it's limiting voltage or current or something. Do you have the same?

Back