Need suggestions for getting an accurate ERD for a Moto rim with angled spoke holes.

Eastwood

100 kW
Rim ERD measurements with moto rim.
So I have a motorcycle rim with angled spoke holes and I’m trying to calculate the ERD. Typically I use the method where you put the spoke threaded into the nipple on one end of the rim and then on the corresponding side you do the same and measure the gap in between and add the three numbers right. With this rim the spoke angles are so dramatic I cannot get the spoke to line up straight to get the measurements. Should I just try using a straight object through the rim to get the ERD?

Or what method do you guys use to get the ERD of a rim with motorcycle angled spoke holes.
I thought about using just a brake cable housing that is straight to slide through the hole of the rim to get the ERD.

because measuring the distance between the spokes as of now is not accurate because the spokes are very angled

The first image shows how angled the spokes are coming out of the rim

The second image shows a Stright object through the rim, would this be the option? I could just make sure that each end of the straight object stops where the threaded spoke ends at the nipple.
What do you guys think would be the best option?

Attachments

• 28B6CC14-73D7-4B9D-A8E1-2900A0825A60.jpeg
    28B6CC14-73D7-4B9D-A8E1-2900A0825A60.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 144
  • 3C59E6F1-BFB2-4DF3-80AB-231D677F13DC.jpeg
    3C59E6F1-BFB2-4DF3-80AB-231D677F13DC.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 144
Eastwood said:
Should I just try using a straight object through the rim to get the ERD?

Yes. To whatever nipple seat diameter you measure, add the amount you want the spoke to engage the nipple head, times two.

Chalo said:
Eastwood said:
Should I just try using a straight object through the rim to get the ERD?

Yes. To whatever nipple seat diameter you measure, add the amount you want the spoke to engage the nipple head, times two.

Thanks Chalo! :wink:

Back