• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Needed: a steady hand on the throttle

hillbilly

10 W
North Cascade foothills west of Mount Baker, WA
In another thread Dogman commented, "Simply set a speed on the throttle, and pedal till the bike goes a few kph faster. This puts the motor into the lower power use zone that is very efficient extending range. It only takes a moderate effort to do this, and even the steepest hills can be climbed in this manner. Oddly, a really steep hill can be climbed very efficiently by slowing way down, pedaling briskly, and using only a tiny bit of throttle."

I have a simple twist-grip type throttle and I'm finding it very difficult to maintain a steady speed, especially on steep hills and rough roads. The throttle seems to be very sensitive, so when I hit a bump I often get a slight "goose" of acceleration. Trying to hold the throttle steady for long periods is also causing my right hand to cramp.

This is the only throttle I've ever used -- can you suggest something better?

Are you using a twist throttle? Half twist where only half the grip twists..

hillbilly said:
This is the only throttle I've ever used -- can you suggest something better?

Yup, sure can but it requires some rework. I use this throttle on both of my E-bikes with over 4,000 miles on them to date.

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8026

You might also consider a controller with cruise control such as this one.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13659

With cruise you can easily do what Dogman is talking about. The cruise control won't control speed like on a car rather it basically latches the throttle signal at one level. In practice this means you can set it for say 15 mph on the flats then add some easy pedaling to increase that a mph or so.

Some people even remove the springs from their throttles or increase the friction against the levers so they stick in a certain position however this isn't the safest thing to do (brake cut-outs would help).

Here's another idea to alleviate wrist strain, it's for motorcycles but might work for E-bike full-twist throttles (????)

http://www.amazon.com/CrampBuster-Throttle-Mounted-Motorcycle-Cruise/dp/B000NUVPQA

-R

I'm using half twist throttles ,or thumb throttles with a piece of pvc pipe glued to them that make them into half twist.

I have also found fine controll of speed a problem with ebike full twist throttles, but seem to have no problems at all with using a motorcycle throttle that uses a cable. The fusin motor came with a full twist throttle, a saw easily converted it into a half throttle.

My big sprocket commuter bike makes it possible to pedal faster at full speed, so that's another way to solve it.

As Dogman said, you should be able to mod a full grip throttle to a half grip.

The throttle I was using looked really bad with this kind of plasticky chrome look crap on the ends, plus they were a nasty shape and built for the hands of a small delicate lady :? Not good :roll: Don't get me wrong, ladies with small delicate hands are great, but my throttle need to be built for a man.... 8) :lol:

I pulled the rubbery grip off of the throttle and just a plastic shell is left. It's easy to see where you can now cut the plastic down. Then I took an old grip and pushed it up over the now half throttle and stuck the remainder to the bars. If you take the throttle off the bike and look down inside it, whilst turning it, it should all become clear, if it's anything like mine. I might go back to a full throttle as the half can be a little difficult to use in big winter gloves, but anyway.....

I'm gonna have to try and make a little cruise controller sometime. It shouldn't be so difficult to implement, but finding the free time might be.

Cheers
Lynchy

What make of throttles you fellas using? The Magura i have seems alot better
made than the cheap plasticy looking scooter type throttles, it also seems to have
a stiffer action to it, might make it easier to maintain the steady speed?

I haven't used a half throttle my mate Matt.P has and hated it, said it made his hand hurt.
Went to a lever action and speaks highly of it.

KiM

Back