new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

Hey Dekes, can you measure the length from one end of the motor to the end of the freewheel? Essentially, what is the minimum required crank spacing?

yes! a video of the drive in action would be great. I suspect the jubilee clamps is not enough to restrain the motor at 2kw and up....the mounting brackets are simple enough that simple metal tools and some thick steel plates from your local hardware store can make it stronger . I also have flex on my gng gen 2 which is very similar to this cyclone kit. the tesioner is fixed which keeps the 2nd reduction from dropping. even with all the flex, never had a single drop on the 2nd reduction. as for the final drive, I only drop chains if I shift too fast on power. my solution for that is proper gear shifting. lol it's not a motorcycle gearbox.....

jdevo2004 said:
I feel like this kit has a lot of potential. With the right after market parts to fix some small problems it could be great. My only worry is the gears. Are they easy to replace? Are they cheap?

Looks like AFT is working on it...http://www.aft-ebike.com/kits--pricing.html

lantice13 said:

don't go nice so fast :) check out their prices on their current kit, do you really think a new motor would change all that?

Megsy73 said:
jdevo2004 said:
I feel like this kit has a lot of potential. With the right after market parts to fix some small problems it could be great. My only worry is the gears. Are they easy to replace? Are they cheap?

Looks like AFT is working on it...http://www.aft-ebike.com/kits--pricing.html

Cool, hopefully they keep the prices reasonable. The picture looks like a stock unit. I would like to see what modifications they did to the brackets to prevent torque twisting.

NnaY1RVp7q-GGVRUdaxGmMjJ28DsCqA2dhNqvfXsXg=w800-h505-no

is there a support bearing on the freewheeling crankset? or does it rely solely on the freewheel?

is there a support bearing on the freewheeling crankset? or does it rely solely on the freewheel?

it seems the problem is worse if you use the cheap DICTA or have a bad chain line, and the second bearing is a bandaid for these 2 issues.
Most of the kits even the LR just use a good quality ACS freewheel that has double row bearings and then you don't need a separate bearing the WI freewheel is not dual bearing and hence this MUST have the separate bearings.

The AFT kit looks interesting with the upgrades, also I notice they have 20% off now.

Ok, i saw some1 opening cyclone 1680w gearbox after around 10 000 km, teeth were worn (by the looks of it) out but could take few thousand more.
Planetary gearbox is 99$ on their website.
Some1 even dripped oil inside gearbox which should prolong it's life. Can't find the damn post!
Regarding brackets, we are trying to figure out something here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=73027
There are some specs with overvolted (2kW+) motor too. Maybe it can help.
I am aiming at this 1.8-3 kW too

Seems like Lunacycle.com are selling these at their store. http://lunacycle.com/black-friday/cyclone-mid-drive-3000-watt-planetary/ and for the flex, I would tune my controller's battery amps and phase amps ratio so that the motor will have a soft start/kick to it at dead stop. Same solution that I did with my 2015 GNG gen 1 mid drive. Bike will be less twitchy too which is important for controlling the bike.

any body build anything with this? LR is producing plates still for this kit?
cheers

I would wait for the LR version. It's looking mighty fine from the photos he posted in one of the threads regarding this kit at the ES Facebook group. :twisted:

I don't know if this is close to the final setup.

Attachments

• 10583938_10206850057183005_2554532067289244868_n (1).jpg
    10583938_10206850057183005_2554532067289244868_n (1).jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 7,041
  • 12439212_10206850054622941_2481695970827549556_n.jpg
    12439212_10206850054622941_2481695970827549556_n.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 7,041
Ohn yea, i forgot l-r block me on facebook too :)

Those programmable infineon controllers from Em3ev work very well with this motor. I would assume they are pretty much the same motor as the GNG gen 1. Tuning the phase amps and battery amps ratio is a must. It's no BBS02 or BBS-HD mid drive that are already programmed to start smoothly when you throttle up. For longevity of the whole drive system this is a requirement.

lantice13 said:
Those programmable infineon controllers from Em3ev work very well with this motor. I would assume they are pretty much the same motor as the GNG gen 1. Tuning the phase amps and battery amps ratio is a must. It's no BBS02 or BBS-HD mid drive that are already programmed to start smoothly when you throttle up. For longevity of the whole drive system this is a requirement.

Seems like LR is talking to Justin at Grin about programming the Phaserunner for this Cyclone 3000w kit. That combo with the controller between the BB sheets, would make a waterproof and stealth looking kit.

i wish i could use the phaserunner myself :( seems like a very compact controller, but i have no idea about it...

Man. I wish I had seen this motor before I bought the Crown 4080 for my recumbent cargo bike. I wanted a 2000 watt, geared motor small enough in diameter to fit in between the frame tubes, but couldn't find one. This would have worked perfectly. Replacing the single cog freewheel with one of these Enos

http://harriscyclery.net/product/white-industries-dos-eno-16-18-tooth-double-freewheel-1554.htm

would have allowed me to run the same setup I have loved on my old mid-drive for over 20K miles. Single front chainring geared for 65-100 rpm cadence with the motor running at 50-80% of no-load, and the motor running the rear gears.

Back