New Lifepo4 105ah load test readouts

pghebikes

10 µW
Just wondering if this read out looks normal for a new cell? Voltage sag seems dramatic at 21 amps. Voltmeter is reading 3.2v at battery under load. I'm a n00b so I apologize in advance.

Attachments

• 20221219_115112.jpg
    20221219_115112.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 197
It does seem dramatic, but it ultimately depends on the cell. Do you have a spec sheet for it? Or at least capacity?

pghebikes said:
Just wondering if this read out looks normal for a new cell? Voltage sag seems dramatic at 21 amps. Voltmeter is reading 3.2v at battery under load. I'm a n00b so I apologize in advance.
If you read a higher voltage at the battery than the load, your connections and/or wiring between battery and load are insufficient for the load.

Or the voltmeter on one or the other is incorrect; you can verify that by turning off the load to see if they then both read the same. If they do, you can use your voltmeter to measure across one of the wires from battery to load, and it will then read part (probably half) the voltage difference between the batteyr measurement and the load measurement.

Voltmeter is reading 3.2v at battery terminals under load and the voltmeter is reading 2.6v at +/- input connectors.

I was assuming a cell rated for 1c wouldnt sag that low at 21a draw.

Attachments

• IMG_20221219_132804.jpg
    IMG_20221219_132804.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 187
pghebikes said:
Voltmeter is reading 3.2v at battery terminals under load and the voltmeter is reading 2.6v at +/- input connectors.

A cell "rated" for something could certainly sag very low under minimal load if it's defective, damaged, old, etc...but it would read the same at the battery as the load.

In your case, the readings you get are from two different voltmeters, at the same time? If so, you must test to see if they read the same under no load, or the same while measuring the same point thru the same set of leads at the same time.

This means you either have a problem with the meters (one or both), or with the leads from the battery to the load, or the connections at either battery or load.

The most likely is that the wires for your test leads are too thin for the current you are drawing with the load, and that the connection method to the load is too high a resistance.

So, you need to test to verify where the problem lies. It should only take a minute or two at most.

As noted above:
If you read a higher voltage at the battery than the load, your connections and/or wiring between battery and load are insufficient for the load.

Or the voltmeter on one or the other is incorrect; you can verify that by turning off the load to see if they then both read the same.

I’ve had that exact issue. Use 8 gauge wire and lugs, not alligator clips.

pghebikes said:

The reading at the load is NOT battery sag.
Sag is the difference between cell voltage with no load, and cell voltage under load.
The 2.6 volts at the load is just highlighting the resistance of the connection leads and clips.

You are just measuring thin wire resistance

Put in a thick enough wire - and well crimped lugs, whole path very low resistance

so that voltages under load all read the same at every point in the circuit.

then pick ONE spot each for +/- and use a data logger to plot the Amps vs Vdrop curve and the Ah used integrated against Vdrop.

It's surprising you didn't melt the tiny wires or have very hot alligator clips.

BVH said:
It's surprising you didn't melt the tiny wires or have very hot alligator clips.

Due to the voltage drop, it’s only like 55 watts. IF he had better lugs he may have had more current and had issues.

Bbbbrass said:
BVH said:

Due to the voltage drop, it’s only like 55 watts. IF he had better lugs he may have had more current and had issues.
Actually, the energy dissipated in the connections is only about 13W…!
0.6 volt drop x 21 A ….the remainder 2.6v x21 A, (55 W) , is dissipated in the load.

Back