New to the EBike world and a question on security

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyJedi

100 mW
HI Everyone!

Pretty new to the forum.I live in the San Francisco Bay area, and I just bought a used Stokemonkey from a member and can't wait for the UPS guy to show up next Monday so I can get started on the install. My bike, which you can see in the picture from two weeks ago, is a 99 Specialized Hardrock with Surly Rigid Fork, VO tourist handlebars, and Xtracycle Freeradical. In the background is the San Mateo bridge and you can just see some kite surfers doing their thing. That's my wife Tanya standing by the bike. One of our dogs, Guinness, is in the freeloader bag. Our other dog, Penny, is in the doggyride mini trailer. Both dogs are therapy dogs, by the way. Last Saturday we all went to an assisted living home with my wife on the snapdeck and the dogs in the trailer. We made quite an impression when we pulled up!

In any case, what really prompted me getting the stokemonkey is that we've been going on rides unassisted for a while. Most of the rides in my area for cargo or weekend rides are pretty flat where I live in San Mateo, Ca. so I felt no need for electric assist. I thought it would be nice when pulling heavy load, but I didn't feel a pressing need.

But to my surprise my wife, though reluctant at first, has been really enjoying our rides and wanted to expand our cargo biking and go to our weekly dog training class. The only problem is that the class is up in the hills with a pretty steep grade, somewhere around 16-20% in spots. I can struggle up that kind of hill on my own on my randonneur bike, but not on the Xtracycle with my wife on the back and dogs in the trailer, so hence I need electric assist. After researching and determining my need was an assist that could handle very steep hills and a heavy load, stokemonkey seemed to really fit the bill.

So this is all very new to me. I've been checking the E$ Wiki for the last few weeks, and but there a lot of info here and I'm trying to wade through it all, so I apologize in advance if this question and future questions have been answered over and over.

The firth thing I am wondering about is how you all deal with the security of your bike: I have a good Kryptonite mini evolution U-lock, locking skewers on the wheels, etc. but just wondering how worried most of you are when locking your bike up in front of a store, the movies, etc. ? I'm thinking Ebike motors, etc., are not a big target for thieves due to the limited resale value since it still is a pretty niche market. What do the rest of you think?

Attachments

• Xtracycle Tanya Guinni with wind surgers.jpg
    Xtracycle Tanya Guinni with wind surgers.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 782
I secure my ebike the same way I secure my regular bike. I have a Pedego, so the battery locks in place, and there are no quick release skewers on the wheels. Of course as you know there really isn't a way to truly secure a bike with a lock, if a thief wants it they will get it. To your point about being a niche market I think that is true at this point, however it will change in the future and we will have to get smarter than the thieves.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=61218

See topic in the bike section. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=61218

I find that combining threads tends to make them impossible to follow. So if short enough, I just lock one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back