Newbie 500W or 800W front hub motor?.

tinasdude

100 W
New to this technology. Been reading 25-30 hrs. Know little more than when I started. I am 200 lbs. would occasionally tow 50-75 pier cart. So total wt 300-325 lb range. Top speed not hugely important. Not many hills. No steep grades. Will also use just to cruise around. 18-20 max speed would be good. My first attempt at this. Looking at YesCom kit. They seem to be good entry level and have seen them mentioned on this site. Also battery and controller recommendations appreciated.Thanks for any input

You sure you want a front hub?
they can be very dangerous if not installed correctly.
If you are pulling a lot it can break the frt fork real easy.

20 mph is almost what everthing will do, above 20 gets harder with low power.

Put your location in your profile so we know your location wuthout reading over the whole post.

It would help if you post your bike you plan on using,
Pics of your bike helps.

Dan

Welcome to ES****Do this before your first post or now (it's retroactive)*****
Please go to the User Control Panel, select Profile, and then enter your city, state/province, and country into the Location field (country minimum) and save it. Once done, your location will appear in every post so you won't have people asking where you are ever again. This will help people help you. Example: Wylie, TX, USA. or just USA, but country as a minimum, and country is the most important. There are many cities with the same name all over the world. Without knowing what country you are in it's hard to make any recommendations. Thank you.

Not really anything dangerous about a sub 800W front hub.
Grab a GBK front kit and shunt the controller with a gob of solder - easy to do. Lightweight commuter.
http://www.greenbikekit.com/electric-bike-kit-1/front.html

Of if you have big hills or a few hundred extra chuck a 350W mid drive BBS01 on it.

Forget DD front hubs under 1kW - wet fish.

Since the wattage ratings are generally whatever they think will help sell it, don't put too much stock in what vendors call em.

Look for a kit you get to know the wattage of the controller. You will need the extra power of 48v and 30 amps controller you get with a kit typically labled 1000w. A lower power kit will work, but take off very sluggish with 36v and a 20 amps controller.

Use two torque arms, for a 1000w front kit.

Make sure if you buy a very powerful kit, you get a battery that can handle it, cheap out on the battery, and it might last a season rather than 3years.

thanks for the input.This is a slow learning curve for me.I don't mind doing most of the pedaling on the flats. Looking for assistance on the hills. I don't typically ride where there are many hills or not steep ones.Think I am leaning towards a smaller motor and less overall added weight now. I have a Jamis explorer 2 and am leaning towards the stealth look for it. already have a bike rack on the rear. Looking at Q100H or standard outrider Front hub. 36V 20 amp battery. Speed is not that huge of a deal. Would like to get battery and controller that would be able to be used for a larger motor on a 2nd bike build in the future. Interchangeable parts kind of deal. 2nd build again won't be about speed. Moderate off roading assistance. Since speed isnt an issue, do I need a 48V battery? Or should I get a higher amped 36V. Would a programmable controller allow me to to use the same one for both bikes? or better separate controllers. I guess i am seeing some of my own answers. I would like to get a battery that would serve me for either use because that is the biggest cost i will initially experience. Then a 2nd build and experiment would be a lot cheaper. 2nd build will probably be a cheap mountain bike rear wheel build.Or maybe a mid. 2nd bike will be for the fun factor.

If I order a BMS kit, or other chinese kit, I know there is significant shipping costs. Are there duty or tariff charge as well? Read where people in the UK rally get jacked up on duty charges.

If I order a BMS kit, or other chinese kit, I know there is significant shipping costs. Are there duty or tariff charge as well? Read where people in the UK rally get jacked up on duty charges.

The greenbikekit page has a calculator for shipping. The kits you are discussing tend to run about $200 to the US.

Back