• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Niche, Cottage industries.............

recumpence

1 GW
On Earth right now. That can change at any time, t
Hey Guys,

I was just thinking, it is amazing how many little cottage industries have sprung up to solve various issues related to our beloved hobby. Here are just a few off the top of my head;

Gary G-- BMS boards
Fechter-- Current limiter
EVLogix-- Throttle computer with limiter
Methods-- Wicked 10kw controller
Luke-- FW broaching for dual drive setups
Thud-- Two speed tranny
HAL2000-- Custom frames
And my drive systems and misc bits. :D

I am sure there are others, here, that contribute. Anyway, it is so cool that we have so many bases covered just within our little community.

It sure feels good to be involved in with such a group.

Matt

Gasoline prices will jump up again, and when that happens, easy-to-mount hub-kits will suddenly be sold out and back-ordered. Home-grown non-hub kits and adapters will suddenly be in big demand as interested buyers will be willing to pay a little extra and put in the extra adaptation hassle of a non-hub kit.

Regardless of which performance characteristic is most important to you (top-speed/hill-climbing torque/long-range/stealth/lightweight-system, etc) IMHO, non-hub is the hot place to be...

Right on Matt.
recumpence wrote:
It sure feels good to be involved in with such a group
I am still amazed by the helpfullness of the comunity in whole.
& the absense of trolls.
My limited experiance with this kind of comunication & networking was quite mixed before stumbling in here. Add that it is a global comunity & it is even more encourageing.

We just need a live chat room some where to meet up with once a week to complete the addiction :mrgreen:
Then there is the task of setting up a summer ralley some where to gather the crew. I still think that would be a blast.

recumpence said:
Luke-- FW broaching for dual drive setups

Matt

Thank's for the kind words Matt. :) I just finished up another batch of them today with my dad. It was a nice way to spend a rainy windy day. This setup on the hub, combined with a SRAM dual-drive for low/medium power setups, and one of your drive units has gotta be the best solution out there for a reasonable person non-hub drive. Or, use a bullet-proof normal 8-9spd cassette type rear hub (like a normal Mt. Bike uses), throw a pair of these splined ENOs on, combine it with Thud's 2spd and your drive unit with a couple 3220's, and you've got yourself an very user friendly and refined, versatile, and extremely high performance E-bike setup. Something you could climb a vertical slope with, and then go do 70mph down the road. :) I'm very excited for the future of the non-hub bikes. :)

freewheel.jpg

freewheel2.jpg

liveforphysics: " Or, use a bullet-proof normal 8-9spd cassette type rear hub (like a normal Mt. Bike uses), throw a pair of these splined ENOs on, combine it with Thud's 2spd and your drive unit with a couple 3220's, and you've got yourself an very user friendly and refined, versatile, and extremely high performance E-bike setup. Something you could climb a vertical slope with, and then go do 70mph down the road."

OK, I just can't resist... there is one very important element missing in this heartwarming group-hug -- a clear, step by step explanation of how to put these clever and wonderfully conceived components together in a genuine "user-friendly" fashion to create an ebike for the rest of us. In other words, a DIY non-hub motor guide for the compleat idiot.

I offer myself up as an example -- I want what liveforphysics describes, though I'd happily settle for climbing a 25% slope at 8 mph. But I don't have the training, the time, or the tools to learn this stuff from the ground up. I'm also willing to spend some money but I don't want to waste it -- so, would you consider putting your heads together and helping us idiots out with some "very user friendly and refined" how-to instructions? :)

Hillbilly, many of these exiting new developments are still in the prototyping stage, and the parts are not available for purchase. Trust me that soon there will be several builds showing pics of how these parts go together, where to get them, and in depth descriptions of what the benefits are.

I'm working on adding another: DC-DC converters. But it is slow going finding time to test stuff. :(

I'd also like to eventually add lighting systems to that, but I suspect that most of the things I would like to do with them will cost too much to be able to sell them for even break-even costs.

Absolutely spot-on hillbilly: "A Dummy's Guide to Ebike Excellence" you can call the thread. :D

Back