NiFE batteries from BeUtilityFree

sulphuric99

10 mW
I finally received 10 NiFE (Nickel-Iron/Edison) batteries from BeUtilityFree today:
http://www.beutilityfree.com/content/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=44&Itemid=129

Since these batteries where once used by electric vehicles back in the day, I figured someone here might know something about them.

They where shipped dry, and no electrolyte was included in the shipment. Does anyone know the proper procedures for setting up these batteries? The shipper was supposed to have included the powdered electrolyte (potassium hydroxide I believe).

Thanks,
Rich

Attachments

• DSC01134.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 2,906
  • DSC01135.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 2,904
  • DSC01137.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 2,902
I don't think any of use here are quite that old, LOL.

All I know about them is that they're not so good for EV applications anymore.

Water is about 85% of the electrolyte.

As far as I can tell, all you do is add electrolyte and you're good to go. :?

Come to think of it, what ARE you going to do with these? 100Ah at 12V isn't enough to run your house for very long, especially factoring Peukert and inverter losses...

Craig (deafscooter) has done a lot with flooded cells, he might know.

8)

They are supposed to be rated at 305Ah at a .1C rate, and 250Ah at a 5C rate. You could definitely power a cabin type setup with just these cells. Unlike lead-acids, these cells like to be deeply discharged, so this works out to around 3-4 usable kilowatt hours.

I got them because they are supposed to be very robust. I don't mind trading performance for robustness. I'm going to be using them in a mostly wind system with 500 watts of PV panels. If these cells work out, I'll be expanding to 1000Ah or 1250Ah. (That was the plan, anyway. It's been so difficult to get these cells that I might just go back to lead acids.)

We have so much wind potential where I'm at near Lake Tawakoni, TX, that I'm not so concerned with charging efficiency. I've heard they are only around 70%efficient. But, all of this is second or third hand. All the information on the net seems to be copied around, with few people actually trying anything.

-Rich

I didn't know these were still available. If they're the same thing I'm thinking of, I have read that they basically last forever. Very heavy and expensive, but perfect for PV power system storage. I suspect the battery companies don't like them because they last too long.

The electrolyte is a saturated solution of KOH. Don't let that stuff get in your eyes!

Those batteries will last nearly forever. You can drain and replace the electrolyte when they get tired. Downside of NiFe is they don't deliver high discharge rates. Voltage will sag a lot under heavy load.

You can charge them until they gas, and add water periodically. Gassing is hydrogen, so be sure to ventilate the battery storage area well and avoid sparks.

I understand that there are 100 year-old Baker Electrics that still run like new on their original NiFe (Edison) batteries.

Yeah, they're terrible in almost every other aspect, but they're very robust and last practically forever, which is really the most important thing with a home power system.

I've been told by the importer (BeUtilityFree) that the recent earthquakes in China have slowed down the electrolyte shipments. I'm supposed to receive another shipment next week.

The large voltage swing of these batteries (10-16V or so) has me concerned. My inverter shuts down if the voltage falls below 10.5V, or rises above 15V. So I may need to find another inverter that can tolerate higher voltages.

I'm a bit worried about mixing the powdered electrolyte with distilled water. I've got to mix around 15 gallons of distilled water with KOH. I'll be sure to dress properly for the occasion, and wear eye protection.

-Rich

CGameProgrammer said:
I would buy and wear a welding helmet to guarantee nothing gets on your face. Goggles don't always work so well.
+1 (...some kind of full-face shield.)

2W = "Acid2Water"!

:!:

sulphuric99 said:
I've been told by the importer (BeUtilityFree) that the recent earthquakes in China have slowed down the electrolyte shipments. I'm supposed to receive another shipment next week.

You can buy KOH (otherwise known as potash) on ebay reasonably cheap.. Commonly used for the production of biodiesel. No need to ship from China. Any chemical supplier can also sell it too you. Maybe even a pool chemicals store.

Here is your Battery Packs have large flood acid in package it not safety to moving..
View attachment 2

========================================================
Warning Warning if you use the Battery Array in Vehcile IF you get accident ( crash )
You will get Acid burn and/or Exploded the Cell to spray inside the Vehicle and burn
View attachment 1

========================================================
Battery designed for storage or array to feed high current into heat or machines need

Deafscooter use large amount batteries array on shelve for dyno-testing custom motor
Here is 1250 amps at 48 volts DC Batteries array on shelve in my other machine shop

Craig have other a 12,000 amps at 240 volts DC for Power feeding to metal melting
at other build has metal/steel craftsman for casting the build custom motor parts ...

Any question
Email= Deafscooter@yahoo.com

sulphuric99 said:
I'm a bit worried about mixing the powdered electrolyte with distilled water. I've got to mix around 15 gallons of distilled water with KOH. I'll be sure to dress properly for the occasion, and wear eye protection.

-Rich

You must add the KOH to the water. Not the other way around, and in small batches making sure the temperature of the solution doesn't go up too much. (If you add the water to the KOH you will get steam!).
Also, use that face mask!

Back