Nissan Leaf EV

Wow! Why is that? Must be a ton of demand and few cars!

you should not have to worry too much about transport if you buy a vehicle that is at or beyond the range of the full charge.

you should be able to arrange to charge with the 240V charger and build your own dryer pigtail to power it and then find friends or make arrangements in between the two spots and stop halfway and charge up enuff using the charger powered from the dyer pigtail and running the cable outside the house to where you can park.

you should be able to make a long enuff trip in one day like this to greatly expand your ability to pick up a vehicle sold for cash off of CL or other venues than through the dealerships. maybe look for other EV owners online before making the trip and then arranging the charge time with them.

I myself don't have range anxiety but my lady does. Her car will do twice the mileage that she needs to drive everyday but still is worried about having more range. She has a anxious time about even thinking about driving it in the red. There are a lot of miles in the red and I have been trying to get her thinking that she can handle doing that If she needs to. To be fair, women are a little more vulnerable out in the world If they are stranded or are in a not so nice area even while charging or getting gas.

Don't get me wrong, when I have run out of battery or had some technical problem with my 75 pound e-bike and have had to pedal it very far, it was definitely a pig to get home. I guarantee that I scope opportunity charging for 110V for my e-bikes as well as my new e-vehicles. I have pushed to many times cars and motorcycles. One of the most recent times, I had flipped the petcock to reserve on my Harley with sidecar to make it home. Forgot about that on the next trip out, and had to push that monster to the pumps. Luckily it was just through the intersection but I was stopped on red and heard her stumbling but didn't get the light soon enough. It got my heart and lungs pumping pretty hard before I could even get it to the pumps! I'll just bet I test the limit with the Leafs.

there is already a network of EV owners in southern california on a list and you can contact people on the list if you need a charge in the middle of a trip and they also maintain a list of the functional and non functional public charging spots.

Evoforce said:
Wow! Why is that? Must be a ton of demand and few cars!
The Leaf I'd the cheapest EV available in Oz at $40,000.
There are no rebates available, and few public recharge points.
Electricity is $0.25-$0.40 kWhr.....so no big fuel cost saving over a diesel either.
So, yes, not many sold to start with, and resellers want to get their money back !

Sad reality is that EV's are still only really economical in those places where legislation forces manufactures to sell them and rebates are also available.

Had some time to enjoy the 2015 model. All I can say is it is awesome. The driving feeling is totally different.

Regen ability - really shines on the hills
Firmed suspension
Nice torque for a 118 hp car
Trunk space, actually fitted 10ft lumber from HD with folded seats
Not bad factory stereo/phone controls

Lacks:
Normal horn
10kW charging ability, I think max on L2 is 6.6
Solar charger integration :) the roof has enouph space for 500-600 wh of panels, considering Leaf is burning 3kw per mile, it is not a lot, but would be supernice

sharkmobil said:
I think max on L2 is 6.6
6.6 kW is plenty for me. I think the most I've driven it in a day is 50 mi, so I've never had a situation where I couldn't just charge overnight - I have a timer set to start a 1 AM and it's full when I wake up. And if it does happen to be at a low SOC when I need to get somewhere, you can get about 25 miles per hour of charging in the early stages.

I can see how faster charging would be nice if for some reason you had to use public or shared charging stations.

Solar charger integration :) the roof has enouph space for 500-600 [strike]wh[/strike] Wp of panels, considering Leaf is burning 3 [strike]kw per mile[/strike] mi/kWh, it is not a lot, but would be supernice
fify

I think it was a 2013 model that I demo'd. 0-40mph was better than any car I've ever been in.

veloman said:
I think it was a 2013 model that I demo'd. 0-40mph was better than any car I've ever been in.
Yeah, I'm pretty gentle on the throttle in general, but there was an occasion when I needed to jump off the line to get ahead of the guy next to me so I could make a turn. Of course, he didn't know we were racing, but it was really impressive.

I think the software is programmed for a pretty soft start - I'd love to see what could be done with "performance" programming.

Back