Noise-Reducing Grease?

PeteCress

1 kW
Paoli (near Philadelphia) Pennsylvania USA
I dropped a bundle on a tube of M23 grease with an eye to giving my TSDZ2 the best there is when it came time to replace the nylon gear and maybe install a temperature sensor.

But then I started reading about greases that are specifically formulated to reduce noise.

Is it worthwhile to seek out such a grease? The noise level on my TSDZ2 is acceptable, but less would seem tb better....

Would such a grease give significantly better noise reduction than M23?

I've been looking for awhile for solid information on how greases and other lubricants effect noise but haven't really found anything. Most of the "Damping" greases are really meant for mechanical damping and sound damping over having unlubricated polymer gears and I haven't seen any evidence they are any quieter than a similarly thick grease. I have seen some interesting data that the optimal grease for nylon gearing is a light PAO based grease with a Teflon thickener which out performed all the other tests in efficiency. It was a worm drive gearbox they were using for testing but I don't think helical spur gears would be that dissimilar and I've seen similar recommendations that Teflon works well for polymer gears.

Honestly any grease would probably be fine as long as it's not some ester based stuff that will attack the plastics. Although M23 if I'm looking at the right data sheet isn't super impressive IMHO, clay thickened mineral oil base, Lithium complex synthetic PAO based greases are pretty common and seem to be better in most cases (also is what most people recommend for the TSDZ2, mobilith, etc)

Back