OBDII Interface and Engine Sounds

swiftyds

100 W
I’m just at the stage of test riding my completed Motorcycle conversion which is built around a QS Motor 4kw hub motor and Kelly KLS7275H controller.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=105463&p=1552151#p1552151

It’s early days in setting the controller and battery BMS up (72v 40Ah with capacity to pull 150A bursts) but the bike certainly shifts. The potential speed and the fact it’s a hub motor has surprised me in terms of how silent it is riding it on the road.

Now I know most people reading this will say ... but it’s an electric motorbike they are supposed to be quite. As it’s intended to be really a commuter bike (bit more powerful than the equivalent ICE it was originally) I was looking at options to make some synthesised engine sounds. These can sound awful I know so I was also looking at something where I could sample a sound so it was a bit more ‘electric’ (for example, Tron Cyclebike).

Didn’t seem to be much commercially available apart from the SoundRacer EEVS system but I couldn’t get a response from the guy behind that so started looking into Arduino boards in particular the ESP32 board. Pretty capable board for equivalent of $10 and got as far as prototyping something that could read the RPM from the Kelly controller, voltage from the throttle and also speed via a simple GPS board linked to the ESP32.

E3-ABB879-EC38-422-D-B4-BB-9-D0632-DE5-E3-A.jpg

Sounds OK through a decent speaker and I was able to code in pseudo gear changes at certain RPMs.

Not sure I’d actually fit it on the bike, but it got me thinking into using the ESP32 board as an OBDII interface - presenting to an app (e.g dashboard app or engine sound app like RevHeadz). Managed to code something up which takes the same inputs as above (RPM from controller, speed from GPS and throttle position) and presents this over bluetooth as if it was coming from a ELM327 OBDII dongle.

Do you think this is of value to anyone ... it maybe this has all been done before and I’ve just not been able to find it, but with increasing regulations around EVs needing to have sound certainly in EU countries in 2021 and beyond I would think this is something that may become mandated even if it’s not really something we want???

Back