Odd Regen Behavior involving Phaserunner, all axle hub and a shunt

Hey all! I'm running a dual motor setup on my Big Fat Dummy, Grin all axle hub motor on the front, and a bafang mg60 fatbike hub in the rear. I'm working on getting regen up and happy and I've run into some interesting issues. Both motors run Phaserunner controllers, and I have a Cycle Analyst 3.1, and Grin's dual battery shunt.

First, I remembered quickly that clutched geared hubs can't regen. Whomp whomp. So only my front can put power back on the motor. Which it does- but with a few caveats.

It works great at speed, though it only puts 4A back on the battery (per CA) even though I have the Phaserunner set to push 6A back onto the pack. Now, when I slow down it gets a little weird. It seems to want to continue putting 4A back into the system, which as you slow, requires more and more reverse torque on the wheel, until my torque arm and fork start bucking under the load. At the same time, the CA starts to produce _positive_ values for power on the display. This is with proportional regen on. If I try to use the throttle to adjust the regen, it just cuts out. If I turn off prop regen and short the regen connector, the CA unceremoniously reboots.

I have yet to go direct to front hub's controller to enable regen via a secondary CA but that's probably my next step. Has anyone encountered the bucking issue as you come to a stop? My old gmac hub was really terrific at slowing me to a stop with no fuss, and I'd actually reduce the amount of regen as I approached 0 speed to make it a gentle stop.

Thanks all!

For the first part, it seems to be standard behavior.

The regen will try to apply a certain breaking torque. The slower you go, the harder it will be to apply the regen torque.
Past to a point, where the braking would be way too small. Then, the phaserunner, will use power to brake.
It's a feature, not a bug. At least, my phaserunner act like that.

The shutting down and reset of the CA, maybe means that you try to make to much regen, and overvolt your battery, which shut down.

Please describe your setup a little bit more, and all the voltages, it will be easier to figure out what's wrong.

Back