Once again require assistance 😅 this time with my speedometer....

Klauts

10 W
So ok the way to work today I noticed that my speedometer was only tracking speed if I was either pedaling or engaging the throttle. As soon as no load was applied to the system the speedometer would drop to 0km/h regardless of actual speed.

Didn't think much of it...

Powered up the bike to ride home from work and now the speedometer is showing 0 no matter what... The motor still powers up, hall sensors appear to be working... Looked at the magnets inside the hub and they are all in place still... I'm at an absolute loss...

I wouldn't really care if I couldn't see my speed if it weren't for the KTLCD3' 5 minute idle timeout... Freaking thing powers down every 5 minutes because it thinks it's idle...

To further add to the conundrum.... The LCD randomly started showing my speed under load 15km into my ride... Still no speed displayed when no load applied...

The symptoms indicate that you are using a geared hub motor. A geared hub motor requires either an external speed sensor, or a separate speed sensor built into the hub that will register your speed even when you are coasting. It sound like currently, the controller/display is using a hall sensor signal to determine speed, and while that works for direct drive hubs, where the motor is still spinning when coasting, but won't on a geared hub, where the clutch disengages the motor (so no hall signal). You can either add an external speed sensor (magnet on the spoke type) or add on in the motor, which may not be viable, since the magnets need to be added to the one of the side covers.

The symptoms indicate that you are using a geared hub motor. A geared hub motor requires either an external speed sensor, or a separate speed sensor built into the hub that will register your speed even when you are coasting. It sound like currently, the controller/display is using a hall sensor signal to determine speed, and while that works for direct drive hubs, where the motor is still spinning when coasting, but won't on a geared hub, where the clutch disengages the motor (so no hall signal). You can either add an external speed sensor (magnet on the spoke type) or add on in the motor, which may not be viable, since the magnets need to be added to the one of the side covers.
The motor has a speed sensor built-in this is a new problem. I'm assuming that means the sensor is fault then?

Or the wiring. Any chance you overheated the motor?
No but the wiring was damaged, I repaired the wires and re-insulated but there's a good chance it shorted the sensor. Haven't used the motor since then. Put on my replacement after making sure it still spun and forgot about it

So ok the way to work today I noticed that my speedometer was only tracking speed if I was either pedaling or engaging the throttle. As soon as no load was applied to the system the speedometer would drop to 0km/h regardless of actual speed.

Powered up the bike to ride home from work and now the speedometer is showing 0 no matter what... The motor still powers up, hall sensors appear to be working... Looked at the magnets inside the hub and they are all in place still... I'm at an absolute loss...

If it only shows speed when the motor is running, then it is not using the motor's separate speed sensor, it is using a motor hall sensor. That can be a wiring thing, or a setting in the LCD, etc. Uuslaly the speed sensor is a white wire vs the hall wires G/B/Y. You'd have to check the manual for your controller/display to see how to change the setting (if there is one) for which sensor is used for speed, or which wire at the motor end of the cable is used for speed sensor input so you can move it to the separate speed sensor on the motor.

If it no longer shows any speed that means there is no signal from the sensor, either becuase of a sensor fault or a connection problem between motor and controller, *or* a setting problem in the LCD.

I don't recall if it was your system or someone else, but recently there was a random setting change problem with a password that happened spontaneously--this could have happened again to this setting, for instance.

If it's a hall sensor failure, and the controller has sensorless mode avialable (often called dual mode) it may automaticlaly switch to that as needed, so the motor would still run but the speed reading would not.

Back