Organic Transit Elf (velo) on kickstarter

Velomobile does not just mean an aerodynamic racing shell, this is a practical utility velomobile, easy entry, good storage, highly visible and weather protection.
Re the comment about the solar panel, do the math left out side for a work day it would fully charge the battery pack.

The math is simple. 48v 10ah battery is 584w. 60w panel will do 480w in 8 hours on paper. We need to take into account step up converter losses, minimum 10%, charger losses and then think about charging conditions. It doea not have solar tracking, it wont be under optimal angle. So there you go. Be good if it will charge half that battery.
Reg design, the man said inovatove, eye catching design and it is far from that. Human car is inovative, eye catching but not this.

Found some interesting and useful real-world info on the ELF from this guy's blog: http://orasfarasiget.com/ask

Interesting that he ends up saying the ELF isn't a REPLACEMENT for a bike/ebike but rather a supplement. (and he goes on to say where he prefers to use his bicycle)

I love the ELF and what it stands for, but for a long-distance "excursion ride", don't throw away your ebike just yet...

JKB

ELF previously went up to $4995. Now, per their website, it'll go up to $5495 on April 17th (yes, about 4 weeks from this posting...)
http://organictransit.com/shop/basic-elf/

Considered as a velo, $5495 is still a pretty good deal.
But then, I regard velos as badly overpriced anyway, or I would have one now....

Room for passengers make this one 10x better:

VeloTaxi

Geebee said:
cal3thousand said:
Room for passengers make this one 10x better:

VeloTaxi

Looks very heavy.

It is heavy. But it can actually transport other people. The problem with the ELF is the limitation on passengers. Velos and other bike derivatives will never be able to replace the car if everyone has to have their own. I'd rather ride an ebike if I need 2 to transport my family.

If a Yuba Mundo can transport 2 people, why can't a velo?

cal3thousand said:
It is heavy. But it can actually transport other people. The problem with the ELF is the limitation on passengers. Velos and other bike derivatives will never be able to replace the car if everyone has to have their own. I'd rather ride an ebike if I need 2 to transport my family.

Change the target market, tweak the design and maybe strengthen it to carry 100kg and below could catch on.

Even in its current format 70kg would be good for a lot of people. I wonder is that a limitation of the trailer or are they worried about the bike's braking ability?

http://www.wicycle.com/index.php/products/special-needs-trailers/wike-extra-large-special-needs-trailer

Joseph C. said:
cal3thousand said:

Change the target market, tweak the design and maybe strengthen it to carry 100kg and below could catch on.

Even in its current format 70kg would be good for a lot of people. I wonder is that a limitation of the trailer or are they worried about the bike's braking ability?

http://www.wicycle.com/index.php/products/special-needs-trailers/wike-extra-large-special-needs-trailer

We trried one of those things for the kid and she didn't like it too much.

I really hope that the ELF is actually successful so that they will be able to build more form factors, such as a passenger vehicle. I'm sure there are some legislations tht will also get in the way, so we'll have to see how this all pans out.

cal3thousand said:
We trried one of those things for the kid and she didn't like it too much.

I really hope that the ELF is actually successful so that they will be able to build more form factors, such as a passenger vehicle. I'm sure there are some legislations tht will also get in the way, so we'll have to see how this all pans out.

Wike's design isn't very sexy at all. It has to look good for people to want to go in it. Then with some you have irrational beliefs that have to be overcome too. There are so many parents who think carrying their children in a trailer is dangerous compared to having them with them on a bike. The reality is the trailer is much safer. A little intercom system between bike and trailer would be quite good.

Yes, I would love the ELF to succeed but it's getting farcically expensive. It started out at $4,000 and right now its $5,000. Soon it will be $6,000. If the Tesla team were running that show it would be half the price and they would be selling by the tens of thousands. They don't seem to be coordinated at all. They should be rolling out state-wide manufacturing, distribution and service hubs. And there should be specs to suit the European and Australian markets. Hearing about Australian customs seizing ELFs doesn't fill you with confidence.

Even the disastrous Sinclair C5 sold 17,000 vehicles in just over six months.

Yeah Baby! This HS "Fall Supplement" catalogue just slipped under my door:
HS_Cover.jpg

(Now I don't have to look at those "other" magazines under my bed.)

... and Page 69:
HS_Solar.jpg

`Case ya can't make that out, currently $9,900 (US, I guess) Buckaroonies. (Special conditions and guarantee limitations apply.) Sooo, 600W and using just motor "w/pedal-assist mode" up to 30 mph. (Motor-only up to 20mph.)

These elf things are brutal. I can see how it would be nice to be enclosed, but they've just essentially made a street-legal golf cart by only having three wheels. Put a solar panel on anything these days and dummies will buy/invest...just look up the solar roadway nonsense for a multi-million dollar example of solar lunacy

Oh oh... Somebuddy's jealous. (Betcha that can carry more beer than yours can.)

`Course, others might say "I really hope that the ELF is actually successful."

Whoa...Hammacher-Schlemmer is asking $10k for a $5500 velo? Might as well call them "Hammacher-Schlepper" for schlepping money out of your wallet.

I will admit, however, that H-S may not be all that far off from reality anyway. Most good velos run $7k and up. The Elf is a steal at $5.5k already equipped with 100 watt solar panel, Lithium battery (looks like a PING to me), motor and controller. You can even optionally add a CA to it....(solar panel was increased to 100w rated when the price went up)

Some argue that it's not a legit velo because it sits too high and upright, that there's no way it could be as efficient as a Mango or GoOne. But I've seen the bike up close and it's nicely crafted and seems tough. The aluminum subframe is strong and heavy. The motor drive is a separate chainline from the pedal drive and the various bike components that do get used in the frame are good quality parts.

I'd like to have one to commute to work with, but still I fear the american public isn't able to deal with it just yet. Bring on that $5/gallon gas and maybe that will change things....

And ELF in the news again:
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4725993-he-ll-ride-solar-powered-e-bike-to-key-west/
B821677608Z.1_20140729201959_000_GGF19S1D1.1_Content.jpg

Wow! American design/engineering has sunk to a new low.

No European in their right mind would ever buy such an ugly thing.

Get your weirdest projects on Kickstarter today, the public is obviously ready to be fleeced. lol

From that page:
"...electric-assisted bicycles (ED: appears to have THREE wheels, so a TRIcycle?) start at about $3,500 and weigh about 70 kilograms. They travel about 30 kilometres on a fully charged battery and hit a top speed of around 32 km/h.

and
"... old-fashioned pedal power..."

Hehe.

Sooo, 300lbs of rider and gear?

Plus price includes some sort of limited guanantee?

So far, for the HS recumbent trike I own ("lifetime guarantee"):
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57408

...has got me excellect service/help from HS (I had the front wheel hub snap on me, a first for that product, according to HS folks. A whole replacement was sent to me from... somewhere yesterday).

And "ugly"? Looks more "aero" than the great majority of vehicles out there, yes?

PS: No, I don't work for HS. :)

48v 11Ah seems like a very small battery for something that does not need to worry about placement as much as a two wheeler.

That is why it can charge by the sun in 1-2 days - not much to charge.

Back