Outrunner Stators with no tooth tips.. cons?

hillzofvalp

100 kW
I'm quickly learning how hard it is to wind high slot count, small diameter count outrunner motors. The easiest way to wind I think would be to hand or machine wind a single tooth on a separate mold, and then slide the winding onto the stator. The problem with this is that for it to be a tight winding, the top of the tooth would have to have the angled, wider portion removed so that the entire tooth was constant cross section.

Aside from poorer torque ripple from decreasing the size of the tooth tip, is there anything to be wary of? Keeping the windings from leaking out into the air gap is no problem as I intend to slide stator into mold and cast in resin shortly after winding. I suppose there would also be a slight reduction in torque but I can't imagine it being more than 5-10% which will be made up for since there are less losses or more turns.

Is torque ripple really that important for efficiency if I can achieve 75% or great copper fill and ease of manufacturing by getting rid of the tooth tip? I've seen this done before a long time ago (3-5 years ago) I saw somebody maybe on this forum maybe discussing the same thing.

My understanding is that minimizing torque ripple can improve efficiency (to a degree I don't understand), reduce motor noise (vibration, which I don't really care about, in fact, I kind of like a "whine" noise in this application), and create a better back EMF which can lead to better efficiency and more-informed inverter calculations.

In my mind right now, it makes most sense to do a straight tooth and then, compensating for some of the torque ripple increase, skew the stator. The ease of manufacturing and high copper fill will make a more cost effective and possibly more efficient motor overall.

Simulations take forever! :(

I think it is Transmagnetics that went to the stator teeth being in individual segments that are wound and then assembled into a stator (instead of the stator being one large single piece). So...at least one manufacturer felt the benefits of keeping the widest possible electro-magnet face was worth the extra trouble.

Back