• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Over volting EVGlobal bike?

DeathBlade

100 W
I was just give a free! :D 24V EVglobal with the heiznmann hub! I needs alot of stuff, new fork, seat, the farings are trash but, never mind that I like the exposed wire mad-scientist look!
So anyway the battery pack is toast, and I have three B&B 15ah SLAs laying around and I thinking about overvolting it I know the heinznmann can take it but can the stock 24volt EVGlobal controller be used for 36volts?
If I cant use the controller at 36volts do you guys thing I could wire in the EVglobal throttle with a YK42-3 ?

Gmouchawar can tell you about the controller. The hub can be overvolted, but don't do it the way I did. Ignoring G man's advice, I put a bd36 controller on it, and did NOT hook up the temp sensor. On a few short rides I murdered the thing, seriously, in about 1 hour.

The controller is about twice the amps of the stock one, (35amps) and then the extra 12v really upped the wattage! The temp sensor was not connected so I didn't have the thing shut off to warn me I was too hot. I thought as long as I was riding sla's I would run down the battery before I could get so hot.

The temp sensor wires go to the hub, and then through the on off switch on a controller. Too hot, and it will shut off the controller, and then turn back on when the motor cools. Polarities don't matter on the switch.

PM Gmouchawar to ask about the controller, I think it will go 36v, but I am not positive of that. If not, find a 36v 20 amp or less controller from crazyman or somewhere, and I am sure the throttle will work, once you dope out which wires go where.

I got another heinzmann 24v and used the same controller, but it does heat up fast, even at 24v. I put a thermometer on the hub once, and it reached 160 F pretty quick. Now that it's summer, I need to park it, or get a lower amp controller.

The EV global frame is real nice, I'd like to put a 5305 on it someday, and A123's in the battery box. Maybe even a 20" rear wheel, and disk brakes. It would be an ideal dirt bike with the battery carried perfect and a rock chunking rear wheel.

One nice thing about it at 24v, is that it is NOT a motor vehicle, so I can legaly ride it on single tracks nearby. With the big amp controller, it performs pretty nice even at 24v. But not in summer, :cry: in the winter, when temps are below 60F, it does well enough, and overheats only after about 10 miles of hard trail riding.

DeathBlade said:
I was just give a free! :D 24V EVglobal with the heiznmann hub! I needs alot of stuff, new fork, seat, the farings are trash but, never mind that I like the exposed wire mad-scientist look!
So anyway the battery pack is toast, and I have three B&B 15ah SLAs laying around and I thinking about overvolting it I know the heinznmann can take it but can the stock 24volt EVGlobal controller be used for 36volts?
If I cant use the controller at 36volts do you guys thing I could wire in the EVglobal throttle with a YK42-3 ?

that is a nice freebie - the frames are really great, strong and nice design, so you may get into upgrading! You can do a lot with it. Worth spending some money on imo. Maybe gmouchewar has some spares he can send your way, I wonder what state the motor is in. Upgrades could go all the way to a 5 series crystalyte or bmc v3 1000 watt with say 48v 20ah lithium stashed mainly out of sight or even 60v 40ah with trailer. Keep the suspension post and get a good quality seat with springs. The heinzmann 24v is rated only for short easy local rides, the rating is 400 w continuous for 20 minutes, it will peak up to 1000w but only for short bursts. If you want to keep the motor and controller electrics for a while, I would stick to 24-30v and go real easy on the hills, forget the SLA unless you have a budget, as you can get a 24v13ah nimh pack or 26.4 lifepo from batteryspace or equivalent quite cheaply, it would cut down the weight and you have some hassle free biking for a few years. Also you can strip it out and get another brush controller/throttle etc. Main thing is the motor and keeping within its rating. post what you do - there's a few in the forum I know keen on the evg's. Ian

I was thinking of cutting one of the jumpers in the YK42 to limit the amps. I was thinking the motor was less than 400watts, the wires a probably only about 16 gauge at 24volts thats 16amps. I'm probably going to stick with the SLAs. So just need to replace the fork/tires/seat/post and brakes, the rest looks ok. Going to take apart the hub today to look at the brushes/gears

Hi,

Ian and Dogman, thank you for all the credit.
I have been helping people with EVGs for a while. I have also taken apart the controller and was lucky 1 out of 3 times with their repair.
A few words of caution. The system is designed for 24V. The controller has a poor regulator design and is stressed even at 24V. It regulates down
to 6V to feed the logic. The second observation is that there are 35V electrolytic capacitors. Then don't like to see anything above 35V.
With SLA charging a 24V can see 29.6V. A 36V can see ~44V. So your 24V will be short lived if you use it at 36V.
Everything Dogman said you should listen too. He has taken one motor to failure. Learn from his experience.
The 24V will work at 36V and give you 18MPH instead of 12MPH. However, you should use the built in safety system by hooking up the temperature sensor.
The original controller beeps and shuts down if you overstress the motor.
You can use a generic 36V or 24V controllers with the the motor. You would need a throttle and would loose the lights/cruise control/horn feature. Hook up the temp sensor in series or instead of the key switch. If the motor gets too hot it will disable the controller protecting it.
PM me if you need any parts. I have quiet a few of them. I think I may have a spare fork in blue.

I got about 45 minuites, in two seperate rides, at 36v 35 amp. I'd say about 23 minuites at full throttle?

Of course if you have the temp sensor hooked up, the motor won't fry, but you may pop the sensor and get turned off really fast, maybe as short as 10 minuites. I think about 20 amps of 36v is about the max you could do and still have some ride time before the motor heats up. With my bike, 35 amp 24v, I was able to go for some nice long rides in the mountains, about 8 miles, before the motor would overtemp on me. On singletracks, I was able to go up some pretty steep hills rather easy with the extra amps, and didn't want to go faster at any time.

I just sold the EVG, my brother in law needed wheels and hasn't had a licence to drive in years. I'd still love to get my hands on a 36v motor though.

I was looking at one of myYK42s and I found a connection the board for a brake switch, I'll hook up the switches on brakes in parallel with the temp switch on the motor so any one of the three can stop the controller. I'll see if I can figure out the wires and use the stock throttle I like the battery gauge and how the thumb throttle moves forward/back instead of up/down.

That will work. excellent idea for the temp sensor use.
The throttle is the 5k type. You need a working controller to get the LEDs to work properly.
Most controllers take a hall sensor input throttle. They are avialable with LEDs.
It would take a lot of work of get the old one to work on your controller. I can trade you a genenric one for the original.
Also I agree that the bike would be better with rear suspension. I use a seat post suspension for it from the touring EVG model.
Anyone found a generic suspension post that will fit the EVG?
It has a 34mm down tube. The original suspension post is 27.4mm with a shim to make it fit the 34mm tube.

The only other improvement is the front chain ring. They are way too small and top out at less than 20MPH when pedalling.
I have gotten some from the 36V which take a generic rings. However it would be good if someone figures out another solution
that doesn't need another EVG bike.

For a larger chainring I just unbolted the inner and outer rings from a Mountain bike crank left over from a previous Cyclone build. It was about 1/2 inch diameter larger than the stock ring.

I am curious how long my 24v hub will run at 36v. The controller is out of an EVGlobal folding mini-bike so I was able to use the stock throttle and hook up the temp sensor cut off. I have yet to trip the temp shut-off but this is a brand new project so after this weekend I should have more info. The bike is fast. Too fast in comparison to my unmodified 24v evg E-bike to believe I won't just burn the thing out. Of course the speed limiter built into the controller is fooled into allowing the bike to go above the limit because it is turning a 26" rim rather than the 20"(?) rims it was designed for.

I really just liked the E-bike's frame and thought it would be a perfect platform to build a fast and solid bike. I'll keep an eye on the hub's temp when I take it for it's 1st long ride in the next day or so.

Any one have any insight on the internals of this 24v Heinzmann? It's noisy enough that I figured it was a geared hub and it whines like it needs lubrication.

Should be fine with the temp sensor working. I had a fun 30 min without it working. There could have been a problem with the brushes in the first place that was my real problem though. At 24v, I rode another motor till the sensor tripped several times with no problems. So you should be ok with the sensor protecting the motor.

lubing them won't quiet them much. steel on steel gears. At 36v it really reminded me of the dentist.

Back