Partial Throttle and Controller Heat

I've read on this forum that using partial throttle can cause significantly more heat in controllers, possibly causing controller failure. I'm interested in minimizing this problem on prolonged uphill climbs. Here's an example:

Lets say I'm biking up a long 20% grade hill and I want to go 15mph. Lets say that using 50% throttle gets me going 15mph. I'm guessing this would cause significant heat build up in the controller. What would be the best way to reduce controller heat? Could I:

- Program a 10mph max speed in the controller?
- Program lower current limit in controller?
- Use 3 speed switch set to 50% throttle?
- Set Cycle analyst to lower speed or current settings?

Would any of these reduce my chances of an overheated controller?

Generally controllers are perfectly happy at partial throttle. The motor is a much larger concern up a hill than the controller. Switching losses increase at lower throttle, but the current is probably lower, making the big losses low.

Of course, it all depends on your configuration and use. If you are worried about it, put a hand on the controller and see if its hot? If its just a standard external controller, if the case is cool or warm, it should be perfectly fine.

Motors can be a bit tricky. The windings are what you care about. After a high speed run, the case can be cool, but the windings burning hot. If you are hitting 15MPH at 50% throttle, you probably don't have much to worry about.

Back