PAS does not work

yumseyo

10 mW
Hi ALL !

I was hoping to get some technical help. I bought a motor kit from Amazon and got it to work with the throttle supplied.

The kit is: https://www.amazon.com/AW-Electric-...rproof+connection+us+delivery,aps,462&sr=8-13

I wanted to install a PAS on it and found a 12 magnet PAS that goes on the left side of the crank (opposite the chain rings) on Amazon. I installed the unit, and found a plug on the controller that matched the connector. When testing the unit, I got the LED to light up on the PAS when pedaling forward and it does not light up when pedaling backwards.

When riding the bike, the throttle still works but the PAS does not activate the motor.

The kit did not come with a LCD screen, just the throttle that lights up with battery status.

Would I need a LCD screen to activate the level of PAS ? or would I even be able to add a LCD screen if the kit didn't have one ?

I found a controller with LCD on amazon, but didn't want to spend the $60, and work of replacing the controller if I didn't have to.

https://www.amazon.com/Brushless-Co...ontroller+with+lcd,aps,115&sr=8-27&th=1&psc=1

Thanks in advance !!

yumseyo said:
Hi ALL !

I was hoping to get some technical help. I bought a motor kit from Amazon and got it to work with the throttle supplied.

The kit is: https://www.amazon.com/AW-Electric-...rproof+connection+us+delivery,aps,462&sr=8-13

I wanted to install a PAS on it and found a 12 magnet PAS that goes on the left side of the crank (opposite the chain rings) on Amazon. I installed the unit, and found a plug on the controller that matched the connector. When testing the unit, I got the LED to light up on the PAS when pedaling forward and it does not light up when pedaling backwards.

When riding the bike, the throttle still works but the PAS does not activate the motor.

The kit did not come with a LCD screen, just the throttle that lights up with battery status.

Would I need a LCD screen to activate the level of PAS ? or would I even be able to add a LCD screen if the kit didn't have one ?

I found a controller with LCD on amazon, but didn't want to spend the $60, and work of replacing the controller if I didn't have to.

https://www.amazon.com/Brushless-Co...ontroller+with+lcd,aps,115&sr=8-27&th=1&psc=1

Thanks in advance !!

Was there any documentation provided for the controller, or diagram, or labels on the connectors (i.e. how do you know PAS is supported)?

Thanks for the reply. I got a troubleshooting guide with the kit, but it doesn't talk about the PAS system. I've attached pictures of the "normal" controller, which is what I've set up on the bike. Throttle works fine but PAS lights up but doesn't activate motor. My thinking is that I need to have a different controller, (one that has plugs for a LCD/LED?) to set up PAS? I wonder why, the booklet shows the PAS connected on the Normal controller?

Attachments

• 20220709_104726.jpg
    20220709_104726.jpg
    1,014.6 KB · Views: 454
  • 20220709_104701.jpg
    20220709_104701.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 454
yumseyo said:
Thanks for the reply. I got a troubleshooting guide with the kit, but it doesn't talk about the PAS system. I've attached pictures of the "normal" controller, which is what I've set up on the bike. Throttle works fine but PAS lights up but doesn't activate motor. My thinking is that I need to have a different controller, (one that has plugs for a LCD/LED?) to set up PAS? I wonder why, the booklet shows the PAS connected on the Normal controller?

Looks like it should work, but maybe the PAS unit if faulty. Even though the LED blinks, there may not be an output on the single wire. Try measuring the voltage off the connector between ground and the signal wire.

yumseyo said:
From what I can see in the instructions sheet, the controller supports PAS, and a display is not required to support PAS, so if it’s not working, something else is wrong. Since the PAS sensor was purchased separately, I would be suspicious of the connector simply matching up, because that would be incredibly lucky for that to happen.

Thanks for the reply. The connector was the same. Maybe the wires are in a different order? The red led on the pas unit does flash when the crank is turned though.

Thanks for the reply e hp. Can you teach me how to determine the signal and ground wires. I think there were only three wires on the connector.

With the battery disconnected, set your multimeter to 2kohms or continuity. Black meter lead on the negative battery input wire of the system (not of the battery, which should not be connected to anything for this test). Red meter lead on each of the controller-side PAS wires in turn (if you can test with the PAS sensor plugged in, you can do that, it doesn't affect the test). One of them will read essentially zero ohms, and if the continuity mode has a beeper, it'll do that too. If they're colored typically, that will be the black PAS wire. That's ground.

Change the meter to 20VDC. Move it's black lead to the wire you foudn above that has zero ohms. Connect the battery to the system normally. Use the red lead on each of the other two PAS controller-side wires to find which has 5v on it. That's the 5v power to the PAS; it's probably red. The remaining wire is the signal wire.

Would I better off upgrading the controller? If so, is there a kit anyone could recommend that would give me an upgraded lcd and the PAS system or would I still run into compatibility problems of parts..

yumseyo said:
Would I better off upgrading the controller? If so, is there a kit anyone could recommend that would give me an upgraded lcd and the PAS system or would I still run into compatibility problems of parts..

Just wondering if you ever got this sorted out? Did you follow amberwolf’s instructions to test the PAS? Naturally, the more you mix and match components the greater the chance of incompatibility issues, but some things are more standardized than others. The wiring for the wheel is very likely to work with other controllers if it has the same connector, but if you go that route, it might be wise to get a kit that has everything but the wheel to avoid other incompatibility issues. It’s mostly the connectors that don’t match from kit to kit.

No, I just gave up on the PAS ( I took the magnet disc and used it on another bike..hee hee) The bike will hardly be ridden and I figure pedaling without assist would give more control on motion vs the assist which may cause a loss of control of the tricycle. I contacted the seller on Amazon and was told that the system only will work with a throttle and that they don't sell updated controllers yet....Thanks for following up.

You’re welcome.

yumseyo said:
I contacted the seller on Amazon and was told that the system only will work with a throttle and that they don't sell updated controllers yet....Thanks for following up.

This is why I don’t like buying these products from these types of vendors. The ads are very unclear as to what functionality is actually supported, and in your case they sent you documentation that isn’t even for the product you bought because there is a PAS clearly visible in the photos.

For what it’s worth, I just assembled an adult (non electric) trike for a neighbor who bought it online, and the instructions showed parts that were completely different from what came in the box. The average person wouldn’t have been able to assemble the bike. Not only were the parts different, but the manufacturing and what came pre assembled was such shoddy work, I had to redo and adjust things no one should have to do.

I now have a much deeper appreciation for quality workmanship, and older bikes that I used to think were “pretty good” quality, now seem damn good compared to that crap.

Back