Phase and sensorcables wiring

mclulz

1 mW
I have a magic pie 3 and a new Infineon 12 fet 40amp controller from em3ev.com http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=82, and I'm wondering how I should wire the phase wires and hall sensor cables?

Motor side:
Green
Yellow
Blue

Controller side:
Green
Yellow
Blue

Is it straight forward blue - blue, yellow - yellow and green - green? Or is it something else.

And hall sensor wires:

Motor side:
Black
Green
Yellow
Blue
Red

Controller side
Red
Yellow
Green
Blue
Black

Is it straight forward here or something else?

And another question, I also have a cycle analyst v3, should I wire the throttle signal through the CA like the advanced wiring with the standard magic pie 3 controller or should I wire it directly to the controller?

I read in this thread http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=43454 that the thread starter found out what wires to connect correctly. That was with a lyen controller, is it safe to say its the same for the em3ev infineon controller as well?

Read this thread -
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48311&p=711552#p711552

I dunno Paul's controller. A few newer ones from other vendors appear to be self-learning but I would read that thread carefully and take precautions before jumping on and diming the throttle.

The color chart by accountant is an excellent tool for finding correct phase/hall combos if need be....

Allright, I will try that flowchart.

How about the throttle wiring? If I plug the CA into the controller, will it be able to cut of the voltage when getting to my lvc set in the CA? Or do I need to run the throttle signal through the CA as well?

Edit: Or can I program the controller to my own lvc? Anyone have the link to the modified programming program someone here on this forum made? I've seen it before, but I can't seem to find it.

You will need a CA direct plug in compatible controller to use the DP CA. I think EM3ev's controllers are CA compatible.

If I plug the CA into the controller, will it be able to cut of the voltage when getting to my lvc set in the CA?
Yes
Or do I need to run the throttle signal through the CA as well?
No need as dogman mentioned EM3ev's controllers are CA compatible. I own 2 sets of them-used on my 2 builds :) ...
Edit: Or can I program the controller to my own lvc? Anyone have the link to the modified programming program someone here on this forum made? I've seen it before, but I can't seem to find it.
You can program the controller's LVC too so you can have 2 levels of protection. 1st from the CA, 2nd on the controller. Paul(EM3ev) sent me a software to flash my controller. If you want you can PM me your email add and i'll forward it to you.

boo said:
If I plug the CA into the controller, will it be able to cut of the voltage when getting to my lvc set in the CA?
Yes
No need as dogman mentioned EM3ev's controllers are CA compatible. I own 2 sets of them-used on my 2 builds :) ...
You can program the controller's LVC too so you can have 2 levels of protection. 1st from the CA, 2nd on the controller. Paul(EM3ev) sent me a software to flash my controller. If you want you can PM me your email add and i'll forward it to you.

PM'ed.

This programming tool is for lyen's infineon controllers, can I also use this for Paul's (em3ev) infineon controllers? http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27927#p403201

mclulz said:
boo said:
Yes

PM'ed.

This programming tool is for lyen's infineon controllers, can I also use this for Paul's (em3ev) infineon controllers? http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27927#p403201

Ok, I tried this program, didn't work. Got "Upload failed: Invalid reply byte 'ff'"

Boo haven't replied to my PM yet, so does anyone else know where I can get the programming program for my controller? I tried downloading the one from http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7361 but the download links are dead.

Software sent. You need to change some of the extensions as email servers won't allow executable files. Have broken down to several emials to see what was causing it to be blocked. :oops:

boo said:
Software sent. You need to change some of the extensions as email servers won't allow executable files. Have broken down to several emials to see what was causing it to be blocked. :oops:

Thank you. Yesterday, when I tried programming with the other program, I got a failure. But I tried with infineon 2, seems like I should have tried with infineon 3, and it worked with infineon 3. Are there any differences between these two programs?

Edit: The Em3ev program should be uploaded somewhere so we can find it! It's just stupid to have to send it to eachother to get it.

Anyway, those standard 312 settings, isn't the phase and rated current a bit low? 48A phase current and 20A rated current? The controller is rated for 40 amps.

Ok, now I have programmed the controller with the standard 312 settings, only set the lvc higher and set all speed switch settings to 120%.

On full throttle CA only shows 30 - 40W, which seems a bit low, and the motor is not going fast. This is unloaded speed, will not try loaded speed before I get this right.
with magic pie 3 controller I had around 170 - 180W unloaded, and the rpm was a bit faster.

Could it be the golden motor throttle which doesn't give high enough output signal on WOT?

Edit: Running on 21s lipo.

Edit 2: I have connected phase wires and hall sensors straight forward:

Phase:
Yellow - yello
Green - green
Blue - blue

Hall sensors:
Red - red
Yellow - yellow
Green - green
Blue - blue
Black - black

And the motor runs smooth with no noise.

Allright, I've done some measuring. My WOT output is only 3.53V, is this sufficient to obtain maximum speed? If I connect the 5V wire and throttle signal wire together making throttle output to 5V it seems to run faster.

Is this where the problem is?

And sadly, I broke my thumb throttle in the process. :( It's still working, but the spring inside can't be replaced in its original position. I've ordered a twist throttle with 3 speed switch and cruise controll from em3ev.com.

Anyway, those standard 312 settings, isn't the phase and rated current a bit low? 48A phase current and 20A rated current? The controller is rated for 40 amps.
Observe the example standard settings in the supplied .zip file. Please note that when programming the 6 or 9 fet (EB306, EB309), unless otherwise advised, you should select EB312 in the Board Type drop down menu. When programming a 12 fet EB312, select EB312 from “Board Type” menu, but set the current levels to only 50% of the desired current level. Phase current should be set to between 2 and 2.5 * the “Rated” (battery) current. - from em3ev instructions :)
On full throttle CA only shows 30 - 40W, which seems a bit low, and the motor is not going fast. This is unloaded speed, will not try loaded speed before I get this right.
with magic pie 3 controller I had around 170 - 180W unloaded, and the rpm was a bit faster.

Could it be the golden motor throttle which doesn't give high enough output signal on WOT?

Please check the shunt value on your CA. No load current will be approximately 1A, at least in my case. So if you are running 21s lipo. You should have around 77.7W(21*3.7V*1A)
Note that there's a 3 speed switch on the controller(just a reminder BTW :D )

boo said:
Observe the example standard settings in the supplied .zip file. Please note that when programming the 6 or 9 fet (EB306, EB309), unless otherwise advised, you should select EB312 in the Board Type drop down menu. When programming a 12 fet EB312, select EB312 from “Board Type” menu, but set the current levels to only 50% of the desired current level. Phase current should be set to between 2 and 2.5 * the “Rated” (battery) current. - from em3ev instructions :)

Please check the shunt value on your CA. No load current will be approximately 1A, at least in my case. So if you are running 21s lipo. You should have around 77.7W(21*3.7V*1A)
Note that there's a 3 speed switch on the controller(just a reminder BTW :D )

Yeah I figured that out :) Thanks.

I have done some trials and errors now, and come to a conclusion. First I just wired the throttle signal directly to the controller, and with the 3.53V signal WOT gave the speeds were dull. Then I wired the throttle signal through CA, and boy how it goes now. When I have WOT it seems like it activates an afterburner. But I had the controller on 120%, which paul told me I shouldn't have, so I'm going to reprogram it now, and try again.

Anyone knows what voltage output on throttle signal which will give 100% throttle?

mclulz said:
Edit: The Em3ev program should be uploaded somewhere so we can find it! It's just stupid to have to send it to eachother to get it.
The downloader programs from Lyen and Paul are readily available from either one - there is no need to look to other sources.

These programs along with the instructions they provide are not distributed or published here out of respect for those guys and their businesses. They invested time to develop or modify this material and have web sites - if they wished this material to be widely available on-line instead of just for their customers, they would post it themselves. Their effort, their decision.

teklektik said:
mclulz said:
The downloader programs from Lyen and Paul are readily available from either one - there is no need to look to other sources.

These programs along with the instructions they provide are not distributed or published here out of respect for those guys and their businesses. They invested time to develop or modify this material and have web sites - if they wished this material to be widely available on-line instead of just for their customers, they would post it themselves. Their effort, their decision.

Sure, but took me a while to get it. And it took an ES member to get it to me. The download link I got from Paul was dead. Just saying :) Their choice of course.

Anyway, off for my first test ride with the new controller!

Back