Phaserunner TTL to USB converter : RS232 to TRS

BobSan

10 µW
Hello everyone,

I've have a Phaserunner + Analogger and i forgot to order the TTL to USB cable so i tried to find one in my city. The only serial port that i could find is a 9 pin RS232 model so i soldered a 3.5mm TRS plug on it with this pinnout :

- Rx : pin n°2 on the RS232, middle ring on the TRS
- Tx : pin n°3 on the RS232, tip of the TRS
- Gnd : pin n°5 on the RS232, sleeve of the TRS

The laptop did recognised the COM port (it shows up on the phaserunner software in the serial port dropdown) but i still have the "Controller is not connected" beside it.

I didn't had time to make further analysis as this happened this morning and i had to go to work, but i don't know where to start looking.

Thank you all in advance!

I have found the data sheet of my RS232 cable! Unfortunately no pinout detail but i hope that all of the RS232 have standard wiring?

EDIT : my laptop is running on windows 7

Attachments

• 825859.pdf
    112.3 KB · Views: 52
I have extracted the chipset from the RS232 mold and found its technical sheet. My pin mapping is ok and it works on 5V so on paper it should work. Now i've messed up when removing the mold so i must solder back the usb side wires (on the board, tiny little wires).

Anyways, the chipset is a PL-2303RA (see the PDF attached) i'm gonna read it and hope to find useful informations but i'm a complete beguinner at electronics.

EDIT : it seems that i can configure some stuff like the "wake up trigger", this is the next thing i'll be checking after reading and soldering back the usb wires.

Attachments

• PL2303RA_v1.0.2.pdf
    824.8 KB · Views: 30
I don't know yet which wire color goes where, on the usb side i have a black, red, white and green wire. I would bet that the letters on the electric circuit stands for the colors?

The pinout is on pages 9-10 of the chip data sheet, so you could check continuity between the pins on the chip and the wire terminals. Looks like it's pins 12, 13, 15, and 20 for D+, D-, 5V, and ground, respectively.

Where are you located? I found this on Amazon in the US and I could have it tomorrow without all this soldering and datasheet deciphering, but maybe where you are this is not a convenient option.

Hi, thank for your answers! At the end i ordered the grin tech cable because i wasn't confident on my understanding of the electronics (didn't want to kill the phaserunner).

When i was still trying to solve this problem i created a topic on a electronics forum so here is the link and we had the same conclusion as you district9prawn.

Have a nice day!

For future reference, serial connections need to have the TX and RX pins crossed over.

So RX on one end to TX on the other end, and vice versa.

Back