Pimp this Mezzo folding bike

cwah

100 MW
hello there,

I purchased today this Mezzo bike for very cheap (£120 or 200$). Usually, every second hand they are at least double the price. The bike is a bit rusty but works very well. And it fits very in my lift which has a maximum of 1m65 length. The ability of the bike to fold quickly is perfect. And because it's so cheap I can mod it without fear of loosing too much money.
2014-05-04%2016.55.32.jpg

2014-05-04%2016.56.28.jpg

Key requirements:
- 30-35mph max speed
- Ultra acceleration (without wheelie) to start from red lights every 500m
- Maintenance free. So probably DD would be my choice.
- 30 miles distance
- Still able to fold from the back (like in the picture)

I have 2 possibility:
1. Simple and straightforward:
Get a 16" wheel direct drive from one of these seller:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-DHL-shipping-3pcs-lot-E-bike-16inch-hub-motor-48Volt-1000W-Brushless-DC-Hub-Motor/313864_1430175249.html
http://www.leafbike.com/products/e-scooter-hub-motor/16-inch-electric-motor/updated-16-inch-48v-1000w-front-hub-motor-984.html

Use a 15 FET 45A controller:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-shipping-72V-1500W-45Amax-BLDC-motor-speed-controller-15FET-4410-s-Electric-Bicycle-Controller/313864_499889986.html

Get a throttle, add the battery and it's good to go. Dropout clearance is 135mm so perfect for that.

2. Harder and (maybe) better:
Mod the bike to add front and rear suspension. And add a cromotor or one of John's motors with scooter tyres.

I'm thinking the second idea would be better. Especially because over 20mph, small wheels are not really comfy on road with a lot of pot holes and jumps and other stuff. For those who'll tell me to get a bigger bike, I just remind you that I live in a tiny apartment with 1m65 wide lift.

Open to ideas :)

I realy would love to see a cromotor on it. 8)
I guess you will have some new folding options after the first couple of WOT draws. :shock:

My em3ev 6t Mac arrives today and I'm putting it on a 20" wheeled bike. Give me a couple days and I can tell you how that goes.

If I go with the option one. I'd remove the rim brake on the rear wheel so it would provide clearance. Because it's a big motor, I think regen braking will be very strong. So regen braking on the rear and rim brake on the front.

Here's my idea for the second option:
2014-05-04%2016.55.32%20copy%205.fw%20copy.png

The idea is quite simple: I'll modify the rear swing arm enough to fit a bigger motor and add suspension on it. I'd buy all the parts and bring the bike to a car shop so they can weld it for me.

Is it possible?

So you are willing to ditch the front folding mechanism by adding a front suspension fork?

All I need is a bike that fits in the lift. So yes I wouldn't mind ditching the front folding mechanism if it allows me to have a nice high power bike that fits in my lift.

Back