Possible good ebike frame

veloman

10 MW
http://www.phatcycles.com/Phundamentals/stealth.htm

Is what I like the most is that I could get near full leg extension and not have the saddle way high in the air. It would help with getting more aero and be really comfy (it is a cruiser).

MSRP $270, I'm going to see if I can get just the frame from the few shops that carry them around here. Could be a good build to get that low laidback motorcycle look. I'd surely change the handlebars though.

I've been wondering if my current mtn bike racer position is best for ebiking. I feel very high up, draggy (non aero) if I don't coast and tuck which I don't like doing when I can't tell if there is a cop around (busy roads). I can't lower my seat due to knee issues.

I've been looking into a midracer recumbent as well, but this could be a much cheaper alternative that looks really good to the average joe.

It would also be a good frame for a mid-drive with all that space down there. Or perfect for a battery.

I love that frame! :D

Great classic lines and wonderful seating position, I think I will offer that as one of my proposed frame builds to UBI, I wonder if the angles aren't the same as a Rans CF frame, they look very similar! 8)

Alterra%20Ti%20Mtn-390.jpg

I would like to make a cro-mo version of a rans, but I don't know if their jigs will accommodate such a wide angle.

You know, now that I look at them side by side, they are at the same angle! Maybe I can build a CF similar to the Rans! :D

I don't see it? Other than the crank forward cruiser design they don't have much in the way of braking solution and 'didn't see much in the way of gears, if so inclined?

Electra Townie has several gear/brake/fork configurations as well as Day 6 brand bikes.

I guess you're right about the lack of braking options. I would put a new fork on it, but there's no rear brake mounts or anything.

Is the spacing of a singledspeed cruiser rear wheel smaller than 135mm?

veloman said:
I guess you're right about the lack of braking options. I would put a new fork on it, but there's no rear brake mounts or anything.

Is the spacing of a singledspeed cruiser rear wheel smaller than 135mm?

That is a really good question, I know that the Micargi ones are 135mm, but no idea on this brand, I wouldn't be surprised since it's a single speed if it was narrower.

Very likely a narrow rear dropout. Bendable if steel of course.

You were the one with the sore ass Veloman, wait till you put 30 miles on a pedal forward bike with 95% of your body weight on the saddle.

Cruisers do corner nice though. I'm suprised that you haven't started hunting for a bent yet.

single speed narrow dropouts and lack of brakes are a bit of a pain, I personally use a 2012 Schwinn Panther. It looks quite similar but it's a chromalloy frame with 7 speed on the back and V brakes so it's a bit easier to make electric, doesn't have that lovely sloped seat post tube though.

photo.JPG

IMG_23571284351839.jpg

This is also a great frame if you can find one the pedals are forward from the seat in that cruiser style but it's an alloy frame with disc mounts and really decent kona mountainbike components.

I looked at that Phat bike for a long time as a candidate for conversion and almost pulled the trigger. I think it's one of the best looking inexpensive cruiser bikes on the market right now. In the end, though, I decided to pass. The lack of braking options was the deal breaker for me. They do offer a 7-speed version with V-brakes, but that pushes the price north of $450.

That Kona's awesome. If only I could find one.

dogman said:
Very likely a narrow rear dropout. Bendable if steel of course.

You were the one with the sore ass Veloman, wait till you put 30 miles on a pedal forward bike with 95% of your body weight on the saddle.

Cruisers do corner nice though. I'm suprised that you haven't started hunting for a bent yet.

I would agree with you if you use a typical bicycle saddle, however, since you are 90% on your butt, it takes away the problems with chafing that a fat saddle would cause in a normal setting, and you just use a more seat like saddle, and you have a comfort level almost as cushy as a recumbent seat, I would use something like a brookes B190:

ResampleImg.ashx

Or one of the Rans saddles if they sell them separately (I sure hope they do, I would love to try one) :)

Here is a pic of a Rans Alterra with a better view of the saddle so you can see how cushy it is:

2758727750039541778S600x600Q85.jpg

When I saw this image I got excited thinking they had batteries in the triangle, no such luck! :lol:

I'm on the lookout for a midracer recumbent, but can't deal with the high cost, so I'm going to try learning welding and possible build my own frame. The headtube and boom is what will be tricky.

I want a recumbent for the aero position, easier way to ghost pedal without catching a ton of air, and to get the bike saddle away from the beans due to bumps. The fs mtn bike helps, but those tiny bumps still smash that saddle dangerously near the beans. I've found that boxer briefs or bike shorts help a lot.

Sew those biker shorts pads into your jeans.

Back