Prius Batteries - How to make them work

It seems most now are buying brand new Chinese made 14 module D Cell Nimh packs. I heard many of these D cells are just 3ah not good. I found a company known as Tenergy which supplies NIMH D cells for Panasonic and Samsung. The quality looks good and 10ah so for 168 d cells it would be 2300usd for the Tenergy 10 D cells or 1500usd for Tenergy 9.5AH cells. I have heard nothing but good stuff about the Tenergy D cells including they are good for high drain applications and have no memory. The company is located in the US and not a fly by night operation. Prius pack building for older gen 2's might become a thing since I'm guessing the Chinese cylinder pack replacement will die after 3 years although some people have had good success thus far 2 years but no reports of any owners on their 3rd or 4th year yet. A 168 D cell custom made Tenergy D cell pack for gen 2-3 Prius would be great.

I'm guessing 5-10 years or more and about the same price as a Chinese replacement. You would need to source the plastic, shrink wrap, and bus bars from the Chinese kit to make it all work and do some tedious soldering but if you get 6 years plus of work VS 3 years from the Chinese made d cells for basically the same price but slightly more labor on your end the its really worth it. As a reference, I'll post a youtube link of what the 168 D cells look like in configuration from the Chinese factory. This is what I would like to build, albeit with Tenergy D cells and higher AH ratings. [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PwnWESUEUg[/youtube]

Back