Pro Flex 995 - Any good?

markz

100 TW
Found a frame with shocks, wondering if its any good.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?year=1995&brand=ProFlex&model=955
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/7706220/ - My rear shock does not look like this, it looks more like a spring, the front has Marzoochi Bomber shocks so its probably not stock. 1995 is the only year this came out, which is odd, but the MSRP is $3600 back in the day.

In its day it was a v good bike.....but those days are long gone.
It's more of a collectors " classic". type bike now.
That rear suspension is just elastomer blocks with limited travel and little damping.
Probably not worth more than $50 ..unless you run a bike museum !

Replace the dead elastomer with a new one or some rubber or spring like I did. Great softtail

I was thinking if I bought it I could replace the rear shock, but I think overall the travel is limited.
Looking at where the wheel comes to and where the shock is at. An inch of travel, maybe 2 at best.

Still a good frame for street use. Just an inch or so of travel will allow hauling ass on rough road with less bashing of the rear rim. Good frame for carrying battery for sure.

But yeah, it's value is more or less same as the shock would be by itself, plus 20-50 bucks.

Yeh its not much travel, but you didn't say what you are looking for. A softtail can be grat on the street.

markz said:
Im looking for a downhill frame.

Found some on pinkbike.com that are not bad.
2009 Specialized Big Hit 2 for $300

Triangle space for batts totally wasted...lines that look like they were mangled by polio from birth...I'd pass for sure.

For street use the first bike could be a winner, especially if it's steel, but off-road it has so little travel that you'd be better off with a modern hardtail.

That was a sweet ride, 21 years ago. Now..... But nostalgia is cool! :twisted:
With the Bomber fork it's a better bike, but if you're going to have something that old and quirky, get the Girvin fork for it, and upgrade the bike with a set of Risse dampeners front and rear.

Bonus hipster points if you put a set of colored knobby tires on it.

Back