Q100H vs SWXH

Hi all, I'm going to be doing a second ebike conversion, this time on my dad's bike, and I'd like some advice regarding motor choice. I think I have it narrowed down to essentially the SWXH or the Q100H, both in the 260 rpm winds. I'd be running them at 48 volts in a 26" inch wheel for a ~25 mph (40 kph) no-load speed, so that it would operate at a similar speed to my 201 RPM q100c in a 700c wheel. Does anybody know how each of these would handle 20 amps? Will the SWXH overheat? Would they provide similar torque? Do they both actually spin at their rated speed? There's only a $20 difference in buying the kit with each.

A Q100 (260 rpm @ 36 Volts rated speed)on 48 Volts in a 26" whl. will top out around 23 mph(No pedal, flat no wind).
Does anybody know how each of these would handle 20 amps?
Yes, they will.
Will the SWXH overheat?
I suppose they could be made to do so. In general, mini hub motors, if forced to climb a steep hill for a period of time at too slow a speed will "over-heat" the controller, or more likely, the phase wires.
Would they provide similar torque?
This question is not properly framed. "Torque" in reference to an electric motor is a far different thing than "torque" in a gasoline engine. Suffice to say, Torque in an electric motor is a function of the potential (Watts, Volts X Amps) "driving" it. The concern as far as the motor is concerned, is how much heat can it shead, as not all the electrical power will be converted into forward motion. This is primarily a function of mass, the Bafang, being slightly larger, should be able to handle slightly more power(Amps, Q100 on 48 Volts-22 max, Bafang on 48 Volts-24 max).

Thanks for the fast response. I suppose I should word my question more carefully regarding torque - I want to know how much torque each of them would produce at 20 amps. I have a Q100c that I run at 22 battery amp peaks, and I'm aware that the Q100H produces 30% more torque than mine does for the same input current. How does the SWXH stand up to this, in terms of a torque-current ratio?

The Q100H is not capable of taking 30% more power than the Q100C. When the H came out, the maker claimed that the H could take 30% more power than the standard, but it wasn't true, more like 10 to 15% more.
Look, forget the torque thing. There are graphs from the factory on the sales sites, but they are in Chinese and even if they were in English, you would need an engineering back round to understand them. you are still thinking an electric motor is like a gas engine, and it's not. The motor does NOT make the power, the system does. A better way to think about it is motor efficiency.
If you had two of the same bike, batt. and controller and the riders weighed the same, the H would pull the C by one or two lengths in a drag race. The Bafang would be about the same as the Q100H Suffice to say, either motor will move your dad just fine.
What you should be looking at are things like;.
1)price
2)You comfort level w/ the vendor
3)fitment, (the smaller, the better)
4)What is in the "kit" w/ each motor and does the kit use the components you want,.
5)can you get everything from one vendor to save on shipping
6)Which batt. pack
7)which controller

The last two are way more important than the choice of the two motors you listed.
My first mini was the MXUS and it was awesome, but it was really wide and hard to install(it rubbed on things). Since then I've used all the variants of the Q100; Stand., C and the H (Both the Ananda's and the Akima's) and I've liked them all. The motors are the most reliable thing on these ebikes. I've had way more problems with the controllers, wires(melted) and battery packs.

If you want to understand the concept of "torque" as applied to electric motors, spend some time at the simulator @ Eike CA. The first thing you will see is max rotational force is at 0 mph. Use the MXUS FX07 as a sub for the Q100H 201 and the Outrider standard as a sub for the 260 Q100H and the SWXH
Hint; The best way to use the 201 C, even in a big whl., is to power it w/ a 52 Volt pack. It will be 2 mph faster and climb better to boot. If you wanted to "upgrade" your bike, you could "kill two birds w/ one stone" and buy one of those for your bike and install your current 48 V pack on this new build. The 260 H in a 26" whl. on 48 Volts works great.

SWXH rear drive in my wife's 700cc stepthru. Q100H in my 20" folders. All were around $79 plus $50 shipping. Bought at separate times and I spoked them myself.

The Bafang normally runs on 36V, but we've used it at 48V where it's around 23mph on flats. It's rated at 250W though. Best used on 36V Pedelecs in my opinion.

And for that matter, why beat on the Q100H if Dad wants 25 mph. I would go with the Q128 over either motor for 48V operation.

I don't think his Dad wants to go 25 mph, the poster just thought the 260 motors on 48 Volts would do that.

I mean to say that the no-load speed is around 25 mph.

I am actually an electrical engineering student, so I'll have to track down those graphs, if for no other reason than to learn by looking. I've figured out everything except the motor, essentially. I have a source for spokes, I'll be using a 20 (or 22) amp 6 mosfet KT series controller, dual hall PAS, LCD-3, and a 26/52 cell battery (26 in the bag with the controller, and 26 in a removable bottle battery). It's essentially a beefier version of my kit, since my dad is beefier than myself.

Motomech's comment about the H outpulling the C is exactly what I meant when asking about torque - given the same conditions, does the Q100H or the SWXH produce more force for the same input current? In effect, which is more efficient at converting winding current to torque? In the same way that the H produces more torque for the same current than the C, I am trying to figure out whether the bafang or the cute produces more torque for the same current. The graph for the Q100H seems to be for the 201 RPM version. Do they change the windings or the gearing for the different RPMs? If it's the gearing, I know for sure that I can just multiply the stated torque by the ratio. If it's the windings, then I'm not sure how to convert, since that's into theory too advanced for my knowledge. Like you say though, it probably doesn't make too much difference between the two motors, and other considerations are more important.

In any case, about my last question - are both motors rated accurately with regards to no-load speed at 36V? If one is significantly faster or slower than that, that affects my decision, since I'm trying to make his bike as comparable to mine as possible while taking into consideration the difference in riders.

The best way to use the 201 C, even in a big whl., is to power it w/ a 52 Volt pack. It will be 2 mph faster and climb better to boot. If you wanted to "upgrade" your bike, you could "kill two birds w/ one stone" and buy one of those for your bike and install your current 48 V pack on this new build. The 260 H in a 26" whl. on 48 Volts works great.

I actually am building myself a new pack at the same time, 13s2p with Sanyo 18650 GA cells, to replace my current 13s-turned-12s2p LG MJ1 pack. Yes, I am aware that 2p will reduce the life of the cells, but that is a price I am willing to pay to keep the pack small and light. I would do 14s, except that it does not fit in the bottle I am using in the pack, and I don't need the extra speed. Why does a higher voltage make the motor climb better? I'd be interested in that benefit. Is it because the controller does not limit phase amps, and so the higher voltage introduces higher phase amps, or is it due to something else?

I mean to say that the no-load speed is around 25 mph.
Yes, for a 260 mini, a no-load of 25 mph is about right. A couple of mph is lost in the real world.

Motomech's comment about the H outpulling the C is exactly what I meant when asking about torque - given the same conditions, does the Q100H or the SWXH produce more force for the same input current? In effect, which is more efficient at converting winding current to torque? In the same way that the H produces more torque for the same current than the C,

Is this the same person posting? LOL Your first post reminded me of when I was a service manager at a Yamaha dealership and every Sat. morning I would get the same calls; "My YZ80 won't torque out, what should I do?"
You bring up questions that have been discussed here(quite a bit, actually), but rather than making you search, I will try a sum up the general conscientious .
When the H came out, we wondered why the H was more efficient than the standard Cute(the original Ananda name). I took one apart and looked and looked and couldn't see any difference. The stator looked the same and was the same width. We kind of took a default position that the magnets were stronger.
The first CST(Ananda) was a little weak. The stator on the C is about 30% more narrow than the stand./H to make room for the cassette, but when the Akima C came out, it didn't seem 30% less efficient than even the H, and I assume that the Akima C uses the same magnets as the H.
When we talk about max Amps on a mini, what is "safe" has a lot to do w/ how the controller ramps up. The KT and other genaric Chinese controllers are "soft-starters", where as the Infineons are hard-hitting. At one point, I was running a Lyen Mini-Monster 22 Amper(a real hot-rod controller) on 56 Volts on my MXUS and actually had it on a Q100H frt. mount for a while and the motor survived. If there was any hint of dampness on the tarmac, it would spin the tire like crazy. But at these power levels, the gears start to "growl:, surely a sign something bad is going to happen. During this time I played around w/ upping the Voltage and came to the conclusion that w/ mini's anyhow, above low to mid 50's, the Law of Diminishing Returns rears it's ugly head. The windings start to become saturated and to keep the overall Watts in a reasonable territory, one needs to start backing off the Amps. When the Volts are high and the Amps low, the power curve falls precipitously at, or worse, before the No-load rpm. This is the basic problem the 328 in a big whl. has. Around 2008 when the Cutes first came out, a member here (Mckeefer) tested one to destruction. As I recall, he was in the mid 60's Volts before the windings cooked.
So as I mentioned, under any reasonable usage, it's not the windings that are at risk, but the Nylon gears. I used to ride my 2WD off-road a lot and there were times, like climbing over logs, that I could feel the gears flexing. Subject a mini to enough heat/shocks and there is a real possibility the gears can break/mush-out(not likely on the street).
Again, as I mentioned, it's the phase wires and in particular the connectors that are the Achilles Heal w/ a mini system. In high-load, low rpm situations, the controller tries to feed the motor everything it's worth and the phase wires become the fusible link. I recommend everyone replace the cheap bullet connectors in the kit w/ quality units, or better yet, solder hard-points.
The graph for the Q100H seems to be for the 201 RPM version. Do they change the windings or the gearing for the different RPMs? If it's the gearing, I know for sure that I can just multiply the stated torque by the ratio. If it's the windings, then I'm not sure how to convert, since that's into theory too advanced for my knowledge.
There is still some debate, but I am of the option that the Cute windings, within a group, are the same and the speed ratings come about due the the ratios of the compound gears. This came about when I disassembled various speed range motors and counted the gear teeth. This was very tedious because there have been many gear ratio changes, even on the same speed-range motor. There seemed to be a direct correlation to ratios and speeds.
Like you say though, it probably doesn't make too much difference between the two motors, and other considerations are more important.
This is your most sensible statement yet. LOL I admire you trying to get your head around these little wonders, but there is no need to sweat the details. The top speeds of various Q100 combo's are well known. Q100H 260 on 48 Volts in a 26" whl. gives 23 mph give or take a mph.
I can't comment on round cells, as I am of the rare breed that uses LIPoly.
Why does a higher voltage make the motor climb better? I'd be interested in that benefit. Is it because the controller does not limit phase amps, and so the higher voltage introduces higher phase amps, or is it due to something else?
Ok, that's a fair question, that is closely related to the Universal Law of Climbing w/ (sm.) hub motors, that states;
Never let the climbing speed(or motor rpm) fall to below half of the no-load speed, for it is here where the motor starts to make more heat than locomotion. The astute mini rider will anticipate the motor will soon stall (to be avoided like the plague) and jump off and push before this happens. He will also hit the bottom of the hill w/ all the speed he/she can muster and keep the power on til the last second. This is where the extra Volts can help.
I would use the Q100H because,....well, it's Cute:)

Back