Question about wiring problem

Howie

10 mW
I'm looking for some help with a motor that I can't get going and some troubleshooting but first some info...

9c motor that had the wires coming through the axle banged up bad enough they had to be replaced. Sighed, frowned then replaced phase and hall wires and got everything back together. During the test ride, the motor jerked a few times and using a small screwdriver to seat the hall wires in the plug seemed to fix that problem. A week later I hook up the battery and turn it on to test the throttle with the tire off the ground, I always do that for some reason, and nothing...

I have one of Lyens testers coming, but I used the multimeter and the throttle seems good, continuity from pos and neg controller leads and phase wires seems good. All 3 neg were about 9.9 ohms or so. Pos were all around 14-15. So I check the hall sensors and I see no change in voltage, on any of the three. I could see one hall giving up the ghost, but all 3? I thought maybe the positive or negative for the halls was shorted or cut from my quick and dirty rewiring, but if that were the case I wouldn't think I'd see the ~5v I'm seeing. The CA showed it was pulling 2000 watts or so, but it's not turning the motor.

On an unrelated note, after reading about the folks up in Canada that ride year round, I thought it'd be cool to give it a try here in Michigan. I put a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta w240 studded tires on, bought the warmest gloves I could find, and dug out my dirtbike goggles and managed to ride every day, with the exception of 3 or 4 days that it just wouldn't have been safe due to the amount of snow that fell. The skinnyish studded tires are great on ice, but in deep snow it's like riding in deep loose sand. I did 17.5 miles a day, 5 days a week and never tore any studs out, which I read was a problem with the studded tires, so that was cool.

A few random observations from the Winter riding.....

Deep snow needs fat tires, or SLOW speeds.
Layering gloves doesn't work. Snowmobile mittens do. Toasty warm hands even on sub zero days, of which there were a few.
Thermal expansion and contraction will loosen spokes, nuts, basically anything, so check more often.
Weatherproofing is important, I wrapped controller and connections with saran wrap.
While the studded tires rock, you're still riding a bike on ice, don't forget that.
People will think you're either an idiot, or crazy, or some mixture of the two.
People don't expect to see bikes riding in the snow and ice and are less likely to see you.
Batteries, for the bike, and lights, don't like the cold.
Neither city cops nor state cops seemed interested in getting out of their cars to see why I was going 35mph down an icy road at 5am on a mountain bike-YMMV.
Forget glasses in the cold. Dirtbike/atv goggles are the way to go, unless you like your eyes freezing, literally.

you need a lyen tester to do it properly, wait till then. Likely a connection issue but its possible your + and - halls shorted inside or outside your motor.

Back