questions for the recumbent riders here

Diamondback

10 kW
hi all.

been thinking about getting a tadpole recumbent for a while now.

all the ones that i have looked at up to now have been very very expensive.
most of them are over $3000 AU.

i have found a dealer not too far away from me that has the 2011 Trident Trike Stowaway 2
recumbent for a decent price ($1,7650 AU) and i have a few questions for those that ride recumbents
before i jump in and buy one.

how do they go with bollards that are found on many cycle ways ? including those nasty inverted "U" shaped ones ?

is it possible to convert them to a hydraulic brake system ?
the one i am looking at comes fitted with Avid BB7's.
how would it do with an ezee 550W geared hub electric conversion at a later date ?

i wouldn't be motorising it at first. that will come later down the line.

have never ridden a recumbent, so ill try to organise a test ride before i buy.

thanks in advance.

Jason.

Definititely test ride first. I love my tadpole but you need to get used to the lowness of them. Our trikes can enter a 36" wide doorframe easily. Mine is only 30" wide at the hubs.
otherDoc

Suggest you also check out MR RecubentTrikes. He's in Vic so you may not be able to test ride but Michael has a good range and he's very helpful.

I have a TWBents Artifice. One of the reasons I chose that was it takes a 26" or 700c rear wheel - i.e. a common size, which can give you a better range of options for a hub motor (e.g. a suitable RPM and range of sizes, plus I can exchange 700c wheel with my bike if needed). It also has Greenspeed-style steering which is pretty good (smoother than direct but also less "sporty").

Mine has Avid BB7s - they're pretty good, no complaints. Trikes stop very well with dual front disks - you may not need a brake upgrade?

An electric recumbent trike is a LOT of fun and a great way to commute. Definitely not for everyone but personally I couldn't go back to a bike. In many ways it actually feels safer than a bike but having said that, I wouldn't want to spend much time in traffic.

I haven't had problems with bollards but don't encounter many on my mostly-bike path routes.

Thanks for the input guys.

Ezee makes a 20" rear wheel (300rpm) that is the kit I would most likely be installing.

I willed definitely try to organize a ride on a recumbent before I buy one.
Every time I see one on the cycle ways around my place, it makes me want to get one.
I'll keep the Apollo I have now too (unless I don't ride it once I get used to the trike !)

The one I'm looking at now is actually the 2012 stowaway. It's only a little more than the 2011,
And has many improvements.

I still have some saving to do before I buy.

Thanks again.

Jason.

Test ride as many trikes as you can. Just for the fun of it, if nothing else. Hub motors on the back of a tadpole work really well. I wouldn't downgrade the Avid BB-7s on my trikes to hydraulic brakes. Been there, surfed it. Hydraulic brakes will be on one of my trikes for as long as it takes me to rip them suckers off and replace them with BB-7s. YMMV

I gave up on riding trikes after a few years. might go back but for now just two wheels for me. I do not like the changes in body english steering between 2/3 wheels. yes motorized.

just me

d

I love my cheap little tadpole, under $1,000 for the base trike in the U.S. when purchased a few years ago. Being over 70 years old is one reason, of course.

As mentioned earlier, pay attention to the steering. Direct takes a little more effort, is quicker, and cable runs are more direct, but I didn't like the feel.

The other important issue is seat height and how laid back or upright it is.

Another issue on the brakes is whether you run both front brakes from one lever or separate levers. I like one lever the best.

If you have hills, the tadpoles make a good platform for a mid-drive through the gears system.

Good luck with your project. :D

I have been wanting one for awhile as well. It just seems like you can pick up so much more speed on one vs an upright bike. Only main issue for me is a city thats not friendly to anything but a vehicle. So taking up more of a lane than a bicycle is going to be constant beeping at yelling :(

I love my trike. I ride a Performer/Actionbent trike that I bought used last year. First and only trike I've ever ridden. The build thread is in my sig.

This is the closest I could find to my trike, as the actionbent site seems to have vanished. http://www.performer.com.tw/2010/user/product_2.php?wp=05&sno=00059

The one thing I'd suggest is find one with a mesh seat. The fiberglass seat on mine, while comfy, makes for a sweaty back in warmer weather.

If you get the chance, ride as many as you can. I bought mine with it being the only one in town for sale in my price range. :)

In regards to braking:

Kirk said:
I wouldn't downgrade the Avid BB-7s on my trikes to hydraulic brakes. Been there, surfed it. Hydraulic brakes will be on one of my trikes for as long as it takes me to rip them suckers off and replace them with BB-7s. YMMV

BB7's are awesome brakes, but a decent set of hydro's properly setup will work much better. I upgraded my trike from BB5's with 160mm rotors to bb7's with 180mm rotors. After running Hayes "Nine" hydro's on my MTB, I'd much rather have hydro's on my trike!

Another issue on the brakes is whether you run both front brakes from one lever or separate levers. I like one lever the best.

You'll get mixed reviews with this one. I run two brake levers. One triggers brake regen in the DD 9C hub, and the other has a parking brake lock on it (Useful, as trikes roll away when stopped, vs a bike that you can lean over). Keeping a brake lever for each wheel helps with high speed cornering also. As you can brake the inside wheel more than the outside wheel to continue through the turn faster.

I have been wanting one for awhile as well. It just seems like you can pick up so much more speed on one vs an upright bike. Only main issue for me is a city thats not friendly to anything but a vehicle. So taking up more of a lane than a bicycle is going to be constant beeping at yelling :(

You also have to think that trikes will outweigh your average bicycle, as well as having more friction against the ground. (3 wheels vs 2). With a fairing installed though, they are faster IMHO. I ride mine in the bicycle lanes here in Boise ID. It still fits within the constraints of the bicycle lane, and the only time I'm in traffic is when the bike lane ends or if I'm passing a pedal cyclist.

I actually get more clearance on the roads riding my trike than I do a pedal bike. Mostly I think it's due to it not being a very common vehicle, so you get a lot of "WTF is that?" looks from drivers, vs just being another cyclist. Passing cars in the bike lanes tends to attribute to that "WTF" look too. I've had 1 close call in my 1000 miles since I electrified the trike. Early one morning a GMC didn't see me when it was pulling out on my right headed into the opposite lane. I swung wide and missed him, but remember that your invisible and ride accordingly.

I'm envious! :D

My next bent I hope to be a tadpole trike, and like it's been said, everyone has different preferences, test ride many before you buy.

I haven't had the pleasure to ride many myself, I am thinking that I would prefer direct steering, but I haven't ridden one yet to know for sure, I have ridden Rassy's mid-drive, and man! It's like riding a go-cart! :twisted:

Just be sure it's best suited to you and your needs, don't get convinced of what you need before you ride it yourself.

Personally, I am thinking of either building one myself or finding a deal on a used green speed/ICE trike, but there are some really decent ones out there for reasonable money too.

I'm still partial to the idea of a leaning tadpole too, but that's just a dream at this point. :mrgreen:

+1 for the leaning trike, Li-ghtcycle. I almost bought a Varna but I can't easily test ride it so it is not happening. Drool!It is a delta but seems well designed.
otherDoc

I've been riding a Catrike pocket since 2005. I electrified early 2010. I like the brand. Made in USA. Very well built. Made from aircraft aluminum. Welds, fit, and finish very good. The customer service is the same as Grin. Hard to believe but true. They do not sell direct to consumer to protect their dealers. But if there is a problem they do not stop until a satifactory resolve. But now as I get older with more aches and pain the lack of suspension is starting to get to me. However this Saturday at the annual rally and factory tour there is a lot of talk by catrike about a new introduction. Naturally a lot of speculation on the new offering. I think and hope it will be a suspended trike. The world knows on Saturday.

ebent said:
I've been riding a Catrike pocket since 2005. I electrified early 2010. I like the brand. Made in USA. Very well built. Made from aircraft aluminum. Welds, fit, and finish very good. The customer service is the same as Grin. Hard to believe but true. They do not sell direct to consumer to protect their dealers. But if there is a problem they do not stop until a satifactory resolve. But now as I get older with more aches and pain the lack of suspension is starting to get to me. However this Saturday at the annual rally and factory tour there is a lot of talk by catrike about a new introduction. Naturally a lot of speculation on the new offering. I think and hope it will be a suspended trike. The world knows on Saturday.

Cattrike is a well respected brand. Although with all their trikes being AL, the ride won't be as smooth as a cromo trike.

Of course, I'm guessing all their trikes come in below the 42lbs that my actionbent weighed BEFORE electrification.

docnjoj said:
+1 for the leaning trike, Li-ghtcycle. I almost bought a Varna but I can't easily test ride it so it is not happening. Drool!It is a delta but seems well designed.
otherDoc

Yeah, I love that design, I would like to take that idea and reverse it if I can however and build a tadpole version. 8)

The lightest catrike is 29 lbs. Some have done radical things like drill out big holes in the frame for saving weight. And yes the heavier trikes will ride smoother. But that may change starting tomorrow if they introduce a suspended trike.

quick update:

today i test rode a number of trikes, including the stowaway 2 that i am planning to buy.

i was very impressed with the stowaway. it wasn't as rough a ride as i had been expecting for an unsuspended trike.
i also rode a number of suspended trikes, including a German made one that was fully suspended. that was
very very nice, though at $4200AU, its a little out of my budget !

interestingly, i even rode a catrike that had a Bionx conversion fitted.
having never ridden a Bionx system before, i have to say i was impressed.

i love the fact that it had no throttle, and only assists the rider. as i like to pedal this system would suit me well.

i can see me installing a Bionx on the stowaway in the future.

i will post up a pic or two once i have the trike in about 6 weeks.
it wont be electrified when i buy it. that will have to wait a while......

Jason.

Diamondback said:
i love the fact that it had no throttle, and only assists the rider. as i like to pedal this system would suit me well...
Jason.
Jason, I also really like the PAS on my trike as I like ( or need) to pedal
You can install a PAS sensor on most any controller.
Most controllers I've seen online come with the connector already installed.
The PAS sensor itself can be installed on most 3-piece bottom brackets

I know that there is a pas sensor available for the Ezee (I have the Ezee on my regular ebike) but I thought that these are a "dumb" system.

What I mean is that they only turn on or off the throttle with pedal or no pedal input ?

What I liked about the Bionx system was that it required no extra thought on my part, and I still
Felt like I was inputting useful pedal power, and I had more power from the motor the harder I pedaled.
Not the faster I pedaled, just harder.

It was really only giving me assistance where I needed it. For the hills.
I was able to ride up a very steep driveway like it simply wasn't there.
It was no more difficult than the flat ground that proceeded. And all with no input from me, other than regular pedaling.

I think the Bionx doesn't just have a pedal sensor, it's actually monitoring the torque that the rider pits in,
And assisting only when required. At least that's what it felt like to me anyway.

Jason.

I'm not sure if mine is dumb or smart
but it deals exactly as you described with the exception of 'ramping up' upon the first whole rotation on the pedals.

It might be because the motor is current-limited to the extent it is but when I push a little harder it goes a bit stronger (more than I'm pushing)
and when I need the help on hills, as I wimp out it pushes harder
I'm pretty sure the Bionx is smarter, but I feel strongly that the dumb systems' reaction to my pedaling is more than adequate for my use.

Catrike came out with a suspended trike. The reviews and price seems good. The cat wants a motor.

Back