Re Cabling Cromotor Cable

crea2k

10 kW
Hi, im going to re cable my Cromotor as I am moving my controller to a different part of the bike, so need a slightly longer run of cable, plus I need to open it up anyway to fix a problem with the temp sensor. I am trying to source for cable that is the same as the stuff that it comes with, but I am finding this an impossible task. I have bought some of this, but when it arrived the gauge of the cable inside is probably 3mm smaller than the regular stuff, its just that the insulation is thicker, so the actual cable is about the same thickness as the original.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251128070802?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I got some of this in the end, so fingers crossed

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171102498306

My suggestion? Just get the same AWG as the original, strip it all the way back so it has no insulation for the length inside the motor, heatshrink the bare wire to avoid electrical shorts, and double heatshrink it where there is a chance of mechanical damage (and where it joins the unstripped insulation).

Alternatively, why not just create an extension cable? It's less tidy and potentially less reliable, but if you don't do a perfect job first go, replacing the cable again is going to be a bastard of a job if you need your bike to get to work the next morning.

Its ok this stuff is literally identical spec to the stuff in the motor, I have cut a section from the end of the old cable and counted the strands, and then measured each strand with a micrometer and also the outer diameter and its literally identical, so should be fine. I don't want to add potential problems with splicing joints, as its never the same, plus having heat shrink all over the place looks rough. Iv got a seriously powerful soldering iron, so re soldering it isnt a problem, as iv done it in the past when there was a break in one of them. I dont need the bike for work, as iv got a car and work from home anyway, plus iv got a second ebike anyway, this one has been laid up since April anyway waiting for batteries to come into stock, so its not urgent.

Back