Rear 36v 500-1000W hub motor recommendation for high speed commuter?

Volvofan

100 mW
E-bikers-

PREFACE: Thanks in advance for any recommendations you can provide! I'm an experienced mechanical engineer so I've got a good handle on the technical interrelationships between volts/amps/watts/etc and direct drive vs. geared, etc. Relatively new to cycling/commuting and e-biking in general (about a year) so I'll probably get most of the tech jargon but may still have the occasional noob follow-up question to ask.

BACKGROUND: I do a 6 mile one-way (12 mile round trip) mostly-flat commute through a mostly suburban/small town area with some open stretches of road w/ vehicular speed limits of up to 40 mph. I started commuting last year on a 26" 24-speed mountain bike, then added an electric iMortor 250W front hub motor w/ built-in battery and controller so that I could ride to work in work clothes vs. sweating my arse off and having to shower/change upon arrival (I do pedal more aggressively on the way home to get a bit of a workout... who cares what happens to the work clothes then). I like the exercise and the environmental friendliness of bike commuting, but I'm really doing it to save TIME and gain PREDICTABILITY. The vehicular traffic (Boston metro area) varies wildly based on time of departure, weather, day of week, whether Mercury is in retrograde, or who TF knows what else... one way can take as few as 14 minutes or as long as 35-40. I can do it on the bike in 21-25 minutes no matter what time of day or no matter how much traffic. I could shave that considerably if I could reach a higher speed on the flats once I'm outside of town. Plus, in a few years, we're moving a couple miles down the road to a new HQ that will make those long, high-speed flats even longer. That's even more time I'd be leaving on the table on a heavy (~60lb) underpowered bike that can only do about 20 mph on the level, with me pedaling to help.

NEW BIKE: For Christmas, I decided to upgrade to an All Go Carbon from M2Sbikes.com (imported Alienozo from China). 36v 350W Bofeili crank drive, Lishui controller, APT 800 display, all CF frame, 650b (27.5") wheels, 20-speed gearset. It weighs about 40 lbs with the pannier rack and lights/tools/water bottle/fender I added. I figured that dropping 20 lbs and gaining 100W would be a recipe for top speed improvement, but so far it's been a lackluster experience (although the whole package is a lot more maneuverable and more fun as a "bike"... and it's also GORGEOUS). CAVEAT - I purchased the bike "open box" from M2Sbikes, knowing that there was some damage to the wiring (the controller/motor had been pulled out and caused some breaks in the harness). I re-wired it over the holidays and got everything working properly, EXCEPT the pedal-assist. I added a manual throttle and that seemed to take care of that, but it's possible that there's something messed up with the torque/hall sensors and that might be keeping the motor from putting out full power? Throttle will get no-load speed well over 30mph, so it "seems" that the motor is functioning properly, but a road test is obviously very different conditions than a bench test.

GOAL: I figure that I'll need about a combined 1000w of power for 30mph pedal-assisted cruise. Mass state law limits unregistered e-bikes to 20mph throttle-only and 750W max, so I am okay with "fudging" my numbers a little bit but do NOT want to attract attention by passing cars on a 3kw hot rod! The bike already has a 36v 10.5AH battery with integrated BMS (which I can charge at work) so at 1000w that should give me the 25 minutes of 1000w I would need to complete a one-way trip. That 36V limit is the "long pole in the tent," unfortunately... I wish it was 48V but it doesn't make sense for me to re-do the battery and the existing motor controller in order to up that if I can achieve my goals with a 36v system. TO THAT END... what are your thoughts on the best rear hub motor to help me get up to around that 30+mph pedal-assisted mark? I can't go much larger than the 27.5" overall diameter wheels, either, as the clearance is somewhat tight on the bottom bracket area. I would assume brushless, but should I go geared or gearless? What is out there with the best gearing/windings for 36v high speed?

I suppose for simplicity's sake a Golden Motor Magic Pie Edge would be the easiest solution since they offer 36v options and have built-in controllers. The MP5 is rated at 750W for 36v, I think, and the MPE is only 500W for 36v, unfortunately... otherwise it would accept the 10-speed cassette I already have on the bike, making it the solution that would involve the least amount of work/additional parts to implement. I also couldn't find a datasheet on the edge, so I have no idea what it's torque or RPM ratings are. I know it doesn't matter if I've got TEN motors on the bike... if they all top out at 20-25 MPH, I'm never cruising at 30-35.

Okay, enough rambling... hopefully this is enough info to make it clear what I'm trying to determine, but not too much to the point where you stop reading or won't reply!

Thanks much, and I hope you're all enjoying the spring weather as much as I am!

-Jon

I'd consider a MAC rear geared motor (em3ev) since it 's the largest with cassette option that comes to mind. Plus they'll (Paul) will be very helpful.

Thanks for the reply! I was also looking into the MAC motor (was considering the 8T or 10T from EM3EV)

A little more back-and-forth with Gary at Luna Cycle has been very eye-opening. I came to learn something very important that I hadn't considered: max continuous discharge rate of the battery. If I want to stick with the stock battery setup, then that MCD was going to actually become the long pole in the tent.

I didn't completely disassemble the battery pack that came with the unit, but I was able to discern that it's got LG F1L 18650 batteries in it. I think it's got 26 cells... pretty sure there are four "cylinders" of six and then another two cells, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me for a 36V battery (how would you do a series/parallel configuration to get a nominal 36V out of that?) They only have a peak discharge rating of around 5A so I don't think I could get more than about 12A out of the battery at any one time. This makes sense for the motor's current ratings at 36V (350W continuous, 650W peak). Looks like there shall be no second motor without a battery upgrade!

After a bit more research, it looks like here's the route I think I will go eventually... IF the Bofeili can be operated at a nominal 48V. Anybody know if it can or not? More volts should = higher RPM, right?

BATTERY:
13s2p MXJO IMR3500 (each cell is 3500mAH, 3.7V, 11A MCD) to convert everything over to 48V, 7AH, 22A max continuous discharge (44A peak).
I WILL NEED TO ADD A NEW BMS (adds .5 lb?)

MOTOR:
Bofeili mid-drive 350W cont, 650W peak + GM Magic Pie Edge, 500W cont, 1000W peak (adds 12 lbs)
I WILL NEED TO ADD TORQUE ARMS (adds .5 lb?)
I WILL NEED TO CHANGE MOTOR CONTROLLERS FOR THE BOFEILI TO A 48V UNIT

Min voltage = 39v (13 x 3.0v per cell) max continuous current draw @ Vmin = 21.79A
Nominal voltage = 48v (13 x 3.7v per cell), max continuous current draw @ Vnom = 17.71A
Max peak current draw @ Vmin = 42.3A

Worst Case Range @ 21.75 Amps, 7AH: 19.3 minutes of max continuous power at Vmin
Average Range @ 17.75 Amps, 7AH: 23.7 minutes of max continuous power at Vnom (at 30mph, that's almost 12 miles... more than enough for my one-way commute, and just enough for a round trip)

I will get the rear motor in a 700C, 36-spoke configuration and will get a lighter weight, more road-friendly wheel in front to match. Currently the bike has heavy mountain bike tires. That's only .5" in diameter difference from the 650B currently on the bike, right? I can reuse my existing 10-speed cassette.

I will likely ditch front crankset derailleur... I've got no steep hills to face and with about 1650 peak W on tap (650 of that coming via ten gears and a mid-drive) I should be able to manage just fine. Losing the front crankset and switching to lightweight wheels ought to save about 3 lbs.

If I go with the more powerful MAC geared motor, then I have to deal with an external controller AND I'll have to either make more battery upgrades or de-rate the motor to about the same power levels as I'd feed the MP Edge. The three pounds' weight savings (MAC vs. MP Edge) isn't worth the trouble as long as the MP Edge can achieve the speeds I need... my math (and some videos I saw online) seem to indicate it can.

Ultimately, this upgrade should leave me with a 30+ MPH "sprinter" (i.e. not long range, but relatively high speed) that's more-or-less MA law compliant (~750w continuous) and that weighs less than 50 lbs all-in. Okay, internet... poke holes in my plan!

-Jon

Back