Recommend some Hydraulic Brakes for new E-Bike Project

Ottodog

100 W
Hey guys,
Been going back and forth between the 203mm Magura MT-5 Hydraulic Brake system and the 203mm Tektro Dorado system for my new e-bike project. The Magura has 4 pistons but the Tektro is (according to the marketing materials) purpose built for e-bikes and uses a heavier duty Rotor or some such. Any thoughts on which one is the better choice?

Drunkskunk said:
Of the two, the Magura. But there is no such thing as a Best brake, just brakes that are better for some applications. What do you plan to be doing with the bike?

They're going on a high power Mtn. Bike project we're working on. I expect to do a mix of on road and casual off road riding with it. It will have a very high powered motor though, and will be capable of 45 - 50 mph so we definitely want to put something with some good stopping power on it.

In the reviews I've read about Magura, you can "modulate" the brake levers and really apply just the right amount of force. So that sounds really good. But I've also read a number of reviews that feel like the Dorado is the ultimate e-bike brake system. So there you go... Who to believe? :D

The Magura is a better brand in general for brakes than Tektro. Those Tektros are only nice in that they have ebrake signaling handled for you. But it's pretty simple to rig up a reed switch and a magnet on any hydraulics.

I'm partial to Shimano Zee. They are developed with all the technology from the Shimano Saint line but are more budget oriented. The Ice tech rotor sandwiched design supposedly sheds heat faster than plain rotors. The finned pads also help shed heat that builds between stops, giving (again supposedly) more consistent braking over a long period of use.

Ottodog said:
In the reviews I've read about Magura, you can "modulate" the brake levers and really apply just the right amount of force. So that sounds really good. But I've also read a number of reviews that feel like the Dorado is the ultimate e-bike brake system. So there you go... Who to believe? :D

Magura makes some of the finest motorcycle brakes in the world, while Tektro specializes in making disk brakes for $99 walmart bike shaped objects. By comparison, One brand is the 24k gold crown of brakes, the other is a picture of a crown drawn on a wall by a homeless man with his own poo.

As for making brakes that "you can "modulate" the brake levers and really apply just the right amount of force", that should be true of every brake made. It sounds like a bit of marketing play. Marketeers love to sell you things you would expect as an extra feature.

"Introducing the new Sparko Illuminati wall mountable lighting control device! With it's simple to use, single position switch, the Sparko Illuminati wall mountable lighting control device allows you to add light to any room you choose!
And if you call in the next 10 minutes, we'll give you another switch position for FREE! And with 2 positions, you'll be able to turn lights both on, and off! Incredible!
Is you room under illuminated? Just flip the switch to the on position and add hundreds of Lumens to your environment. And when you're done, you can switch your Sparko Illuminati wall mountable lighting control device to it's second position, and turn off those unnecessary lumens! No more light! Simply Amazing!"
Good marketing and good a salesmen can sell snow to Eskimos.

Hydro brakes have their uses. They are better than mechanical brakes at some things, and worse at others. I built a >10kw, >55mph monster bike and chose mechanical Avid BB7 over anything Hydro for many reasons. I'm hard enough on this bike to warp Hays H9 230mm rotors, but I've never had an issue with the brakes.

Drunkskunk said:
Magura makes some of the finest motorcycle brakes in the world, while Tektro specializes in making disk brakes for $99 walmart bike shaped objects. By comparison, One brand is the 24k gold crown of brakes, the other is a picture of a crown drawn on a wall by a homeless man with his own poo.

Lol. Magura it is then. I really like the MT-7 but they're like $750.00 retail. MT-5 is a lot more reasonable, but you give up a couple of features. I'll look into those Shimano Zee brakes too. Thanks! 8)

You might consider looking at the customer reviews on MTBR.com. Magura hydraulics are great, and I have them on an MTB (as well as the excellent BB7's on another), but Shimano's are highly rated too and bargain priced in comparison (IMO - look at the prices at Chain Reaction Cycles - don't worry that they're in GB; most items that I've purchased arrive in about a week).

Magura, no doubt to have.

I have been using the Magura Gustav M for 15 years, and still have them on the rear of most of my bikes. I am testing the MT7 on the front of my V 10 since last fall. It's been daily through rough riding, snow, salted slush, mud and water, never been cleaned nor serviced since the installation. I still doubt that the MT7 can be a lifetime brake like the Gustav, but it is much lighter and outperforms the Gustav for precision and braking distance.

Magura has a reputation to make brakes that are reliable, easy to service, and to supply maintenance parts for a very long time after. The only other brand of brake that I am using is Hope, I am a big fan of the older M6. I am testing many brakes for short periods in the summer, and some are very good, but reliability and heat dissipation is keeping me with those 2 brands.

Back