Reliable aliexpress battery pack?

bengee said:
MJSfoto1956 said:
I just ordered a customized battery pack from an AliExpress vendor who crafted a battery pack to my specs. Will report once it arrives.

How's the battery?

Search for “AliExpress Battery Pack Unboxing” — all is revealed.

MJSfoto1956 said:
bengee said:
MJSfoto1956 said:
I just ordered a customized battery pack from an AliExpress vendor who crafted a battery pack to my specs. Will report once it arrives.

How's the battery?

Search for “AliExpress Battery Pack Unboxing” — all is revealed.
or just supply the link.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=98446

I’ve bought a number of packs from this Alibaba.com supplier and found them to be of excellent quality.

https://niuboebike.m.en.alibaba.com?tracelog=alisupplier_sns_minisite

十二隻熊 said:
I’ve bought a number of packs from this Alibaba.com supplier and found them to be of excellent quality.

It would be awesome if you were to show us photos of the insides of one of your purchased batteries so we could see for ourselves what you mean by excellent quality.

M

Twelvebears said:

Define "exellent quality".
What are your standards for this?
Did it not explode in a ball of fire?

Remember please that MOST of the Aliexpress sellers do NOT use nickel. Nickel plated steel is the norm. Warranty support is abysmal. I ALWAYS suggest adding a spare identical BMS to the purchase. That can save weeks if a BMS fails. IME BMS failure is the most common event. Next, I'd avoid ANY high power battery. The build quality can really come through when pushing a lot of amps.

Consider someone like HiC Battery. Patrick Duggan builds a great battery.

Twelvebears said:

https://niuboebike.m.en.alibaba.com?tracelog=alisupplier_sns_minisite

Which batteries? Which cells? Landed price? What is ,the BMS rated for?
The devil is in the details

I do love the way everything anyone says here has to be qualified....

So I picked this pack because it is the same pack as used and retailed through a company as part of a complete product - in this case an expensive mobility device for wheelchair users.

This means I have both the original, fully EU certified pack and the ones I ordered directly, and to satisfy myself for all the reasons raised here, I opened and inspect both.

They are literally identical.

The connections ARE all nickel strip and the construction is very tidy.

Both the original and directly imported packs all use genuine Samsung cells, and as I’ve used and cycled all the packs I have monitored their performance and have no hesitation in recommending them.

I’m sure there are horror stories out there, but my experience with these particular packs, from this particular maker, have been 100% positive.

Everyone is skeptical because many of us have seen crap and have been burned. For every n00b success, there are a couple of bad buys.

I'm happy it's worked out. Many here are willing to look at another potentially good vendor. But expect us to have questions. For example, how did you determine that pure nickel was used? What cells were in the packs? Did you take pictures? Blind trust is something you won't see here. And for good reason.

Twelvebears said:
So I picked this pack because it is the same pack as used and retailed through a company as part of a complete product - in this case an expensive mobility device for wheelchair users.

But the question remains -- how do we know that a "random" purchase will have the same quality as those dictated by EU laws?

One can imagine that there might be two products: those for which there are consequences for not delivering (e.g. the EU) and those for which "anything goes" (e.g. the US).

M

MJSfoto1956 said:
But the question remains -- how do we know that a "random" purchase will have the same quality as those dictated by EU laws?

the EU laws around lipo batteries are actually pretty non-existant. at least none that are enforcable. there are ISO regulations but those are generally guidelines and something you can put on your product or ads, you see them for example on the back of bus companies that have drivers and buses that meet ceertain certifications (like first aid) and the bus has a roll cage for example. but you are free to not have them apart from the regulated ones.

for lipo batteries there are almost no regulations apart from the ones that state that the product basically should not be able the kill the user in normal operation. wich is also a poor business model if you sell products that do. injured or dead customers usually dont come back.

Back