Ride of My Life: The Story of the Bicycle

TopCat

100 W
Those in the UK and elsewhere that can get BBC IPlayer may like to watch this documentary on a hand made bike. I watched it yesterday afternoon and quite enjoyed it.

Author Rob Penn travels around the world collecting hand-built parts for his dream bicycle and charts the social history of one of mankind's greatest inventions.

BBC.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00t6ylx/Ride_of_My_Life_The_Story_of_the_Bicycle/

Regards
Tom

cant watch it, get a message not available in my area

KiM

I think this is it. Split in to four parts for youtube.
[youtube]cj4iu8w5Dys[/youtube]
[youtube]9QrakO04UDU[/youtube]
[youtube]LnIGkrcAHVk[/youtube]
[youtube]FdFikise66I[/youtube]

Oops. There are more than four parts... here is two more
[youtube]bO2TiNn2t8I[/youtube]
[youtube]7wfpL_TzT9o[/youtube]

Thanks for posting. Very entertaining. I have watched the first four videos so far. It was interesting to see the chopper style bike almost killed the industry and the mountain bike saved it. I have to ask.....why would anyone choose a chopper style bicycle over any other style? Is it just a fashion statement or nostalgia thing? In any video I have seen they look unstable, the people in the video wobbling around the stage, Valy's son wobbling around the back yard etc. What is the attraction? Do they feel more stable than they appear? I had a CCM mustang chopper style bike in the sixties, great for wheeelies, poor for anything else. I still have the larger version my brother rode, a CCM charger with a 24" rear and 20" front, and two speed hub. With a regular seat and handlebars it is OK, but with the original highrise bars and banana seat it too is a handful to control.

Most Excellent: I can appreciate Rob’s efforts to realize his dream bike to the fullest! The Bay Area and Portland are really enjoyable & trippy-good places to ride, or just hang out; fun to see old haunts… 8)

Thanks for sharing, KF

TopCat said:
Those in the UK and elsewhere that can get BBC IPlayer may like to watch this documentary on a hand made bike. I watched it yesterday afternoon and quite enjoyed it.

Author Rob Penn travels around the world collecting hand-built parts for his dream bicycle and charts the social history of one of mankind's greatest inventions.

BBC.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00t6ylx/Ride_of_My_Life_The_Story_of_the_Bicycle/

Regards
Tom
Thank you so much for that. What a wonderful Sunday morning. The Repack hill stuff was awesome.

Can anybody watch this and not go out for a ride? I had stuff to do today, but screw that. I'll be riding today.

Thanx again.

-

Back