Riding of the Bulls

Kingfish

100 MW
Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Mil
Cite: Wikipedia

Forgive me, but I can think of no other analogy that explains the last ½ mile of my ride home. The gauntlet includes the last ¼ mile segment of freeway that terminates as a major arterial, plus ¼ mile more where I must keep pace before peeling off onto my rural route.

The run begins as a merge into traffic from a right-side freeway ramp, through two close traffic lights, and concludes as a left turn onto the rural route, having a length roughly 0.6 miles total.

During rush hour, I have found through trial and error that the shortest path is to race up the right side margin past merging cows… er cars, and there will always be at least one opportunity to leap into an open slot into the right-turn lane, and nearly almost as frequently find an open hole to the left that allows me to merge before the first light (at the terminus of the freeway). Proceeding forward after this light always leads to an opening to merge left – and from there I am home-free before traffic speeds too quickly for me to exit into the left turn lane.

It took several weeks to develop the nerve to pull this quick trick home. The alternative – using pedestrian ways and means took 2 or 3 times as long.

My focus is always about the car in front of me and about the car to the left. No one ever closes in from behind, possibly cos I have dual rear-facing Blinkies. Frankly I probably scare the Jesus and bejesus out of the uninitiated. It has become a minor thrill for me to and from work each day.

I take only when safe, and fear nothing; there isn’t enough time to be worried cos I’m in and out before concern can matter. I have a strong ebike. My legs are strong. My will is strong. I am young at heart, though in good health. My only regret is that overall my commute is short, although I am grateful the route in thick traffic is shorter.

It's a hoot! :twisted: Perhaps I should get a GoPro.

Toro toro! C’ya ‘morrow my son. KF

Sounds like a no go, but with a go pro maybe we can see it's better than I think.

GoPro has a good microphone and water-resistance for $200+ depending on features, the $70 Mobius is smaller, has great video, but poor microphone and don't get it wet with rain of a splash.

If you want a cheap one, I have the old 720 P version I never use anymore. It was only $100 new, so I'd sell it for half that. It was an ok cam, but now I use the HD one. We'd love to see some vid of your riding.

I'd need two or three cameras I think :lol:

One facing forward, one looking at the CAs, and one looking backwards at the expressions :twisted:

Most of the drivers are pretty cool and laidback. I'm probably no more than just some little anomaly providing local entertainment for the short duration of the run.

Thanks for the tip on the GoPro; been on my want-list for a while now. Need to be waterproof for all the rain we get here. This has been one wet March this year. It's almost always wet here, but when you arrive at work nearly drenched - it's time to consider a Dry Suit.

No fear of rain, KF

Back