Run two motors on one controller? Maybe?

Nope. The stator position of the motors differs, so the controller would only be sending out the right signal on the 3 phase wires for one of the motors. You'd need to open them up, then link them with a solid axle to stay perfectly in sync and run them side by side. Or use old, brushed direct DC motors.

If the 2 motors were identical and you synched the stators together mechanically such that the timing would be perfect then you could probably get away with it. I would not try it with unmatched motors through a chain.

Controllers are very cheap. You would be a lot better off using 2 controllers and a single throttle.

Would it be possible for two motors to run on one controller if one ran without hall sensor only connected by the phase wires?
Short answer: No.

No matter what ingenious idea you come up with, it will not work. Get a second motor controller.

what happens when you change gear, or coast, or even if its a fancy fixy then the chain slack is way to much slop....itll de-synchronise.

Would it be possible for two motors to run on one controller if one ran without hall sensor only connected by the phase wires?
Years ago I did that on a moped trike i built. Used a Altrex controller with 2 mars motors. The problem i had was never knew which way it would pull on acceleration. I dropped the ramp speed and that helped. One of the motors armature started to slip on its shaft and that ended that fun. I just pulled the bad motor and went single and road the heck out of it till some fella had to have it lol.. I also tried two hub motors on one controller . It worked but same thing, pulled to the left like a biotch lol. ....
These red bike was brush motors and the blue may have been brush not sure. These pics are from i think 2000. I love messing with electric vehicles but do not know crap about what works with what. I try it and if workd great if not back to the drawing board and lots of questions that im sure most folks get tire on answering. Im a disabled vet and have a balance problem and that is the reason i build and rid trikes
1708088695601.jpeg

1708088376984.jpeg

Last edited:
I swear I've seen controllers capable of driving two motors independently, even with traction control, but I'm coming up short (no dad pun intended.) The thread or product page in memory is at least 3 years old. Sound familiar anyone?

I swear I've seen controllers capable of driving two motors independently, even with traction control, but I'm coming up short (no dad pun intended.) The thread or product page in memory is at least 3 years old. Sound familiar anyone?
They're basically two controllers in one housing.

The variable regen looks like a nice feature.

Back