SAVE THE LIPOS!!

BShady

1 kW
hey guys

I am running 4 3s 5Ah lipo in series to make a 12s 5Ah lipo.

I ran into a problem with my 12s 5Ah lipo battery one cell dropped to 3.85 while the rest are at 4.05. I tried balance charging them but it didn't do anything (my balance charger isn't the best one). when I used the batteries all the cells dropped at the same rate. I think this battery might have lost part of its charge as I left it charged at about 4.00 for about 2-3 months. my bad :roll:.

so I decided to go to surgery and charge that individual cell by itself and then re-attach them and see if it is still damaged when I charge the batteries next time.
one issue is that when I opened the batteries I found that middle cell (that is bad) a little puffy on one side :shock:

the other side of the battery is fine and the rest of the cells are good! it's literally just that spot!

what do you say garbage?

Yep, garbage !
Dump them now and check all the others too.
I dont know what you are running them on, but with only 5Ahr, you are probably overloading them on discharge, or running one or more cells down too low before you recharge..especially if you dont have a BMS/LVC.

I'd take a straight pin and poke a hole in it. Compress it to get the gas out. Cover the small hole with tape and then test it. I gad a 4 cell pack puff up bad and poked holes in all 4 cells and kept using it, Never had another problem until it got overcharged to almost 4.5V per cell when left connected to my portable generator. It hen puff up again, but went back down after discharging it to 4.2V per cell. Still using it. It's over 4 years old.

wesnewell said:
I'd take a straight pin and poke a hole in it. Compress it to get the gas out. Cover the small hole with tape and then test it. I gad a 4 cell pack puff up bad and poked holes in all 4 cells and kept using it, Never had another problem until it got overcharged to almost 4.5V per cell when left connected to my portable generator. It hen puff up again, but went back down after discharging it to 4.2V per cell. Still using it. It's over 4 years old.

If you do this, it's critical to keep water out and seal it with something that can endure electrolyte long term, not many adhesive options can.

Also should be OK with it potentially burning wherever place you leave it.

Please say you have the budget to replace a 3s pack, rather than keep running that one.

One cell in there still good, separate out that one for some later use fine. Get rid of seriously puffed cells. Discharge to 0v with a light bulb, then recycle.

I doubt it puffed because you left it sitting. But if your controller is more than 20-25 amps, you would be much better off to run 10 ah rather than 5, especially if this is the 20c stuff, which really struggles at 5c, in terms of lasting for years.

You can prick it and use it, but don't bring that thing inside a house or garage, ever again.

HAHA! i didnt think it was that bad!! i have put these batteries thru hell, no joke!! :twisted: Shorted out the batteries (all the packs) at least 6 times! :shock: one time it totally chewed up the plastic protection part and the metal, didn't change the connector and im still using it today! 8)

ill just order a single cell and replace that cell. however is it a problem that one cell will be at a larger capacity since its a fresh cell, unlike mine which is 2 years old?

I am running it at approx. 30-40amps peak on an electric longboard. never had an issue with it warming up or anything.

will order a whole new set once im at it.

thanks guys!

You guys are not going to believe this!

so i already read amberwolfs thread on lipos on how they could be dangerous. I wont lie, you guys got me a little more nervous about keeping this cell and lipos in general. i was already carefully never over charged or over discharged and never left the batteries charging unattended. i didn't even let my mother touch them (no joke) when they were out bec maybe she will puncture them or short them out. bottom line i was very careful, besides for shorting them, that's my only weakness!

i decided to check my other batteries and i found that a different pack (3s) is a little squishy on both sides, which makes me think it is puffed :shock: but its just a little!

please don't tell me I have to throw it out! its really not the money it's more about waiting 3 weeks to get the batteries!

BShady said:
HAHA! i didnt think it was that bad!! i have put these batteries thru hell, no joke!! :twisted: Shorted out the batteries (all the packs) at least 6 times! :shock: one time it totally chewed up the plastic protection part and the metal, didn't change the connector and im still using it today! 8)

I am running it at approx. 30-40amps peak on an electric longboard. never had an issue with it warming up or anything.

So you're abusing your cells, have repeatedly shorted them, including badly enough to visibly damage them, are still using them, and wonder why they're getting weird on you.

BShady said:
please don't tell me I have to throw it out! its really not the money it's more about waiting 3 weeks to get the batteries!

*shrug* What happens if they burst into flames randomly at any point during the day? If your charging/storage/usage situation can handle that at 100% of the time, they're probably fine.

Otherwise, you might want to reconsider what you're doing. Abused lipo cells, far more often than is really reasonable, do a solid impression of a cutting torch.

Properly cared for ones still do that more than I think is reasonable.

Back