Schwalbe Big Apple 26"

neptronix said:
I'm glad i read this thread, but not happy that i just bought a 24" 2.15" big apple.
It is definitely on the light side, i am disappointing.

I think i will check my local bike co-op to see if they have some trashed 24" tire that i can line the inner part of this tire with, lol. I'm not too proud to roll in 2-3lbs of rubber, no way.. :mrgreen:

You have to keep in mind that tire thickness costs you both speed and ride quality. As e-bikers, we may not all be concerned about rolling resistance, but ride quality matters to all of us. Keeping things light, supple, and simple allows us to use minimum motor power for maximum effect, the same as if we're on pedal power alone. Thick crappy tires make the whole ride experience thick and crappy, which is one of the reasons many of us gravitate towards otherwise unnecessary mechanical suspension and away from proven bicycle layouts and qualities.

To me, the sweet spot for an e-bike is when it's equally satisfactory (not to say equally fast) on pedal power as on the throttle. So far, my builds have been too heavy to achieve this balance, but outside of DD motors and lead batteries, I do all I can to keep them behaving like bicycles instead of motos.

Chalo

Chalo said:
That's consistent with their pressure rating and should be fine. I don't think you'll be at any risk of pinch flats if you aren't hammering square-edged steps at speed. However, feel is a matter of taste and you should try lowering your pressure say 2-3psi at a time and doing some maneuvering at each level. That way you can determine for yourself what your own minimum pressure is.
Thanks, Chalo. Sound engineering advice, as I've come to expect from you.

BTW, I'm starting a new project that will bring me to Austin occasionally. Perhaps we can meet for a beer and e-bike mini-nerdfest. :)

Right, I do not like these tyres, I have now fell off twice since I have had them, before that I done well over 1500 miles over 4 months in the wet, wind and mud on my last set of tyres with no problem, not even a wobble, now I have fallen off twice in the last two weeks, on the first day I put them on, I just thought it was because they were new and maybe a bit slippery but I fell off today and I have done 120 miles since I put them on, I wasn't going very fast, maybe about 10-12 mph and wasn't being stupid, just riding how I do every day, I would not recommend these tyres and I will not be using them again.

audipiglet said:
Right, I do not like these tyres, I have now fell off twice since I have had them, before that I done well over 1500 miles over 4 months in the wet, wind and mud on my last set of tyres with no problem, not even a wobble, now I have fallen off twice in the last two weeks, on the first day I put them on, I just thought it was because they were new and maybe a bit slippery but I fell off today and I have done 120 miles since I put them on, I wasn't going very fast, maybe about 10-12 mph and wasn't being stupid, just riding how I do every day, I would not recommend these tyres and I will not be using them again.

Care to elaborate? How do you fall off not being stupid and riding like you do every day? If a tyre is that dangerous it isn't safe to sell.

You replied to a very old thread, but your question is still relevant from a rhetorical standpoint. The Schwalbe Big Apple is a so-called "slick" tire (but not totally devoid of tread features). As such, it's quiet and fast for its size and construction, but on the other hand it's relatively easy to get it slipping on mud, sand, loose dirt, leaves, etc. It only takes a little bit.

Using a low pressure helps offset the tendency of a fat slick tire to lose traction on loose or unstable surfaces. The larger the contact patch, the more likely you are to establish a firm footing on the ground.

Back