Seeking guidance from the electric preisthood

Philistine

100 kW
I know I rarely venture into this respectable part of the forum, usually keeping my stained corpse in the Biker Bar.

But I had a question I wanted to put out to the electric gurus on the forum.

I have a pair of Bose earphones, which I managed to stand on the cord of whilst being attached to my head, and ripped the cord out. I have attached a photo to show what I am talking about.

My question is, the cord appears to have fibres in it, ie, it is not simply two wires, it seems to have fibre and such with different colour in there, and my question is, what does that mean? The photo is unclear (apologies), but there is wire, but also coloured thread as well).

Can I somehow resolder the wire back together? Are the different fibres and wires doing different things? Is this repairable? I tried to follow the wire into the earpiece to see if there was a differential way that different things were connecting to different inputs, but it appears a single connection?

Any help or direction would be appreciated.

The fibres are there to provide additional tensile strength, making the lead better able to take the loads it'll get in use.

To repair it, the cable will need to be cut back a little and the repair made inside the earphone, with the fibres secured to the strain relief. The idea is that when the cable gets pulled the fibres take the load and so reduce the chance of the relatively fragile copper wires breaking.

It can be done, but you'll find the wires will be quite delicate. The fibres can often be secured inside the strain relief with a dab of isocyanate glue (super glue).

I think the fibers are just a cheap tensile insulation and "hold it together" weave. I think you can solder the severed wires, hook both ends and twist and solder, and use electrical tape to seal the bare wires and also main outside insulation.

Thanks guys, I just wanted to check I could have a crack at resoldering it, in case it was something other than just a wire or if there were multiple connections. Thanks for the help, much appreciated as always.

My experience is that the cable is best reattached inside the housing, as JH suggests.

The point where the break occurred gets a lot of physical stress and that region will be weak.

Cutting a couple of inches off and re-connecting in the can will help ensure you can hear every note Bjork squeals for the next few years. :mrgreen:

Philistine said:
...electric preisthood

Reverent and quotable :wink:

I have this visual of hooded EV druids worshiping around large monolithic lipo blocks, waiting for the sun to charge, waiting for the moon to illuminate, humming one word during the celestial equinox: “Ohmmmmm”

I bow in your general direction…
Brother KF

Cutting a couple of inches off and re-connecting in the can will help ensure you can hear every note Bjork squeals for the next few years.

How did you know about my MP3 recording of Bjork locked in a room with Dominic Strauss Kahn and Max Hardcore? I was getting DSKs growls, and Max's yelling, but until I got the Bose earphones I almost thought she was singing in there.

I have this visual of hooded EV druids worshiping around large monolithic lipo blocks, waiting for the sun to charge, waiting for the moon to illuminate, humming one word during the celestial equinox: “Ohmmmmm”

I bow in your general direction…
Brother KF

Thanks KF, but I don't think I am quite up to Priesthood material. I consider myself more of a fun loving alterboy, eager to learn from the big boys, with a can do attitude, and a fresh hot mint in my mouth :D

Philistine said:
I consider myself more of a fun loving alterboy
Alterboy or Altarboy? :p

Regarding the repair, I'd go with just what Jeremy Harris posted; that's how I've fixed a lot of headphones that I forgot I was wearing when I stepped away from the music computer/keyboard/workstation, over the years. :lol:

Back